Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X VS ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 09:42 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 258 Posts
Poseidon X VS ????

Is there a better equipped aluminum frame, carbon fork gravel bike than the Poseidon X , even at $200- $400 more? I'm about to get one unless someone has any suggestions that might be a bit better in this style bike.
Old 02-21-23, 10:17 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
First time here, at least posting! I've been eying the Poseidon X also but after really researching frame geometry, it appears the X is a little too aggressive for me. I found the the Ambition X has a higher stack and is a little more upright so now that bike is on top of my list until something else comes a long in that price range. It's about 100.00 more. I recall seeing a Salsa and a few others around 1200.00 or so. I really want the 1x11 drivetrain though and I have not seen any with that for around 1000.00. I did consider the State 4130 but I want light as possible. It seems so many of the 800.00-1200.00 priced bikes are running Claris 2x8 drivetrains right now.
Old 02-22-23, 12:38 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Is there a better equipped aluminum frame, carbon fork gravel bike than the Poseidon X , even at $200- $400 more? I'm about to get one unless someone has any suggestions that might be a bit better in this style bike.
I'd probably opt for the newer Ambition X as opposed to the original X. The original X is definitely more aggressive geometry-wise. Plus the Ambition has dual piston brakes and will be a better long term bike to upgrade. My only issue with the X series (both the original and Ambition) is that they still use QR, though there's a thru-axle upgrade package available. If you want a new TA wheelset, you can get the thru axle rear drop out only from Poseidon and run a TA to QR adapter in the front to save on the hassle of cutting a TA fork to size and reinstalling everything. That's how I have my X currently setup.
Old 03-28-23, 08:07 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
For a few hundred more $ the Salsa Journeyer is a huge upgrade and worth every penny extra. There are over a dozen models and several are around $1,050 or $1200. Next up is the entry level Giant Revolt in aluminum ($1350, price just dropped by $100). Also the Jamis Renegade steel S3 is still under $1500.

I posted earlier on the forum that we had two newer Poseidons in the shop to be worked on last week and found that on both either the stems or frames are actually crooked. When seat tube is vertical (with a level) the right handlebar end on both are almost an inch lower than the left handlebar end. It is easy to see with the naked eye actually, but we took measurements from the floor up to show the customer the difference in bar-end height on the bikes. Either the head tube was welded crooked or the stems are defective. On the positive side, it was consistent on both bikes!

The bikes were in for poor shifting and we replaced the cable cores; they were cheap galvanized steel cables like you find on Walmart bikes, not stainless. They had already corroded in the housing and started to bind up.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-03-23, 02:13 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I think you would be very hard pressed to find a better value than Poseidon. The aluminum frames are guaranteed for life (so the two crooked frames will be replaced). The X Line has carbon forks, Microshift Advent 1X has as good or better a reputation than any other group set at this price point. I do think that if you order ANY bike on line, you should have a basic knowledge of bike mechanics. Your LBS will always want you to buy a bike from them. If there is a better value, I would like to know. But I would like to know specifically what is better, not just “Brand X” is better… The other very important aspect is what will you be doing with the bike? Make sure you get a bike that will suit your riding needs! Will this be you only bike, or one of your N+1 bikes? Keep in mind, the more money you spend, the greater your options will be. The Poseidon X Ambition comes in at $900 with free shipping. If you want to spend a few hundred dollars more, do some upgrades. Hunt gravel wheels $510 (1459g), Panaracer Gravel Kings $80, Advent Alloy Cassette $60 (Saves over 8 Oz). So now you have less than $1,700 in the bike that will destroy any bike you paid $1,400 for… And comes in at about 22 -23 Lbs. It all depends what you want to do…
Likes For NitroExpress:
Old 05-10-23, 03:56 PM
Gowers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
For a few hundred more $ the Salsa Journeyer is a huge upgrade and worth every penny extra. There are over a dozen models and several are around $1,050 or $1200. Next up is the entry level Giant Revolt in aluminum ($1350, price just dropped by $100). Also the Jamis Renegade steel S3 is still under $1500.

I posted earlier on the forum that we had two newer Poseidons in the shop to be worked on last week and found that on both either the stems or frames are actually crooked. When seat tube is vertical (with a level) the right handlebar end on both are almost an inch lower than the left handlebar end. It is easy to see with the naked eye actually, but we took measurements from the floor up to show the customer the difference in bar-end height on the bikes. Either the head tube was welded crooked or the stems are defective. On the positive side, it was consistent on both bikes!

The bikes were in for poor shifting and we replaced the cable cores; they were cheap galvanized steel cables like you find on Walmart bikes, not stainless. They had already corroded in the housing and started to bind up.
Hi, did your customers with Poseidon X Ambition bike deficiencies contact Poseidon or receive any response from them?
Also, as Poseidon makes their frames, have you seen same defects in other X Ambition bikes? As I am currently considering X Ambition, medium size, purchase, how does bike ride: either on top of bike or in the bike feel due to upright bike geometry? Due to 20" seat post and short top tube length, I am concerned rider (5'8" and 140 lbs.) will ride more upright position, on top of bike, instead of in the bike feel. Thanks

Last edited by Gowers; 05-10-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 11:59 AM
Gowers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I am currently considering Poseidon X Ambition, medium size, purchase, how does bike ride: either on top of bike or in the bike feel due to upright bike geometry? Due to 20" seat post and short top tube length, I am concerned rider (5'8" and 140 lbs.) will ride more upright position, on top of bike, instead of in the bike feel. Please respond to my concern. Thanks
Old 05-11-23, 01:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Gowers
As I am currently considering Poseidon X Ambition, medium size, purchase, how does bike ride: either on top of bike or in the bike feel due to upright bike geometry? Due to 20" seat post and short top tube length, I am concerned rider (5'8" and 140 lbs.) will ride more upright position, on top of bike, instead of in the bike feel. Please respond to my concern. Thanks
You're asking for very specific information for one specific model of bike from a smaller manufacturer, from someone similar in size, who is also an active member of this forum, and happens to see this thread. That person might not exist. As far as I can recall jonathanf2, is the only regular poster in this section who rides a Poseidon, and his is a different model than the one you're asking about.
Old 05-12-23, 11:59 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Gowers
I commented my thoughts on the other Poseidon thread. If you want an in-the-bike feel get yourself something like a Giant Revolt gravel bike. My buddy has one and the cockpit feel between my original X and his Revolt are very different (upright vs in-the-bike). Though the Ambition X did change up the geometry a bit, so it could very well be different.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 05-17-23, 05:56 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
Your LBS will always want you to buy a bike from them.
This is the 2nd biggest myth in the bicycle industry. ("Frame flex wastes energy" is #1.)

Bike shops make nothing on bike sales. In fact, it's not uncommon for MSRP on new bikes to be $1 less than wholesale. Buying a bike online and paying your shop a couple of hundred bucks to build it for you will probably make you the single most profitable customer they see that day... if not all week.

Labor and accessories are where shops make money. Not bikes.

--Shannon
Old 05-17-23, 08:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
This is the 2nd biggest myth in the bicycle industry. ("Frame flex wastes energy" is #1.)

Bike shops make nothing on bike sales. In fact, it's not uncommon for MSRP on new bikes to be $1 less than wholesale. Buying a bike online and paying your shop a couple of hundred bucks to build it for you will probably make you the single most profitable customer they see that day... if not all week.

--Shannon
Where did you get this nonsense from? MSRP is typically between a 25% and 40% markup often depending on the level of buying power the shop has with the company. When it comes to parts shops may often find that there is no markup, particularly on higher end parts, if they want to compete with online locations which often sell well below MSRP due to relying on volume. Though cheaper stuff is easy to sell due to tossing on repairs or walk-ins looking for a quick fix part. It is true that bikes aren't the best source of income for a shop. On a 600.00 bike with a 40% margin the cost is 430, so a 170.00 profit until you get to mechanic's time to build it, floor space to store it, sales person's time to get it out the door, and depending on how it was bought, either shipping or if part of a preseason order, interest on the order. Measure that vs. 75.00 for a tune up, potentially the mark up on tires, tubes, grips, chains, cassettes, cables, housing or an assortment of sundries that can easily send a 75.00 annual tune to 150-200 with most of that profit and much of it not involving sitting on inventory or sucking up floor space.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-18-23, 09:25 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

--Shannon
I have friends that work at bike shops and as Russ stated, they get their bikes at approx 60% of what MSRP is. Not sure where you are getting your info from, but it is no where near correct.
As for frame flex, not sure what your background is, but if a frame flexes, the energy required to make it flex, prior to engaging in the drive motion is lost (wasted). Now how much does that account for? For me nothing. For my son that rides 23mph for 50 miles, it means something. For the world class rider that is looking at 1 sec per kilometer, it means more...
Old 05-26-23, 05:05 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Maybe it's different now, but when I worked in a shop back in the 2000s, our margin on new bikes varied by brand, but was never that great. And the Fujis were as I said... invoice was MSRP+$1. I think we made like 10 bucks on the Cannondale. Treks had basically no profit in them either, but this was peak Lance-o-mania, so they could charge whatever they wanted.

And even if that's not true anymore, the point remains: your shop is going to make more money upgrading your old bike than selling you a new one, even for significantly more money.

--Shannon
Old 05-27-23, 10:15 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee

Just watched the salsa video. You're not supposed to ride the Journeyer if youre a white male under 65 or so. That might factor into your purchasing decision. No joking though, it is very much marketed as an accessible, entry level gravel bike.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 06-03-23, 11:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Just watched the salsa video. You're not supposed to ride the Journeyer if youre a white male under 65 or so. That might factor into your purchasing decision. No joking though, it is very much marketed as an accessible, entry level gravel bike.
I'm a white male in my late 60s as is my wife. I know you were joking, so am I.

I got the $1050 ones from REI, I got the Microshift Advent 1X9 in 700C and got the Claris 2X8 650B for her (just because it has a little lower gear and after I replace the 45mm tires with a set of 35's I have, she'll have a little more standover fitting her diminutive stature).

They both are great, very "rideable" bikes. And the fit and finish is nice. I might have gone with the Poseidon but it turned out to be easier for me to order the Salsas from REI to be delivered to the store where we were going. We picked them up the day we arrived, fully assembled (very well, by the way). I might have been able to save $100 or more for an "equivalent" bike, but I like that we have the support of REI to get the bikes ready to go for us away from home, and theoretically because they will back them up for a while (although I predict that I'll just take care of any problems that come up.)

The Microshift Advent and Shimano Claris are just fine. They shift accurately and smoothly. Are they Red, Dura Ace or Super Record? Maybe not. I really like the shifting design and function of the Microshif shifters. Better than Shimano (never liked the brake lever shifting) and on par with my favorite Sram "double tap".

Another FWIW: I think the QR axles on these bikes are fine. The design/geometry of the dropouts is such that the braking force will tend to drive the axles into the drip outs instead of causing them to slip out. Plus, they come with what look like very good quality internal cam QRs. We're not super strong riders and don't expect to really tax the braking/axles, etc. but I think they'll be just fine.... and easier to remove and replace the front wheel because we put them in and out of the pickup bed on fork mounts every ride. QR fork mounts are a bit easier to use than thru-axle ones.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-03-23 at 11:37 PM.
Likes For Camilo: