Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Koga Miyata Randonneur Extra

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1989 Koga Miyata Randonneur Extra

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 01:34 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
And in rando mode, middle of a 300k after being chased by 3 different packs of dogs down the road to this old mission. Rack is a Nitto M18 supported by Rene Herse 170mm cantilever post mount struts. Had to work on the struts and rack tang a bit, and use double ended bolts on the brakes, but’s it works really well.

San Xavier Mission! I grew up right down the street (Los Reales) and know all too well about those dog packs, hahaha! Beautiful bike!!!
Old 04-21-20, 11:25 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Coronavirus has effectively killed randonneuring and touring for awhile, so I stitched up some new portage, a mini zipper front bag and a tool roll, for closer-to-home adventures.

Old 04-22-20, 12:30 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
An update on what this bike looks like these days. Currently setup for "comfortably light" touring. Paselas, VO faceted fenders, triple bottle cages. I'm really happy with it as a general rider, and as a tourer. Here it is on a November overnight out at McDowell Mountain northeast of Phoenix. I alos took it on a few day tour in Colorado a couple months ago.

Whereabouts is this trail? Any good info online about riding out there? I'm not far.
Old 05-15-20, 06:28 PM
fliplap

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Whereabouts is this trail? Any good info online about riding out there? I'm not far.
That's out at the McDowell Mountain preserve, at the campground. There's really only one road that goes out there, but it's relatively pleasant.
Old 05-15-20, 07:15 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
I don't often see threads about Koga-Miyatas, so here's my '92 Exerciser.
Although it's on the lower end of their lineup, it's still a really nice-riding bike.

Old 05-16-20, 07:08 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
I don't often see threads about Koga-Miyatas, so here's my '92 Exerciser.
Although it's on the lower end of their lineup, it's still a really nice-riding bike.
Nice bike, it's exactly because there wasn't a Koga-Miyata specific thread that I started one with a good bit of background information here: Show us your Koga-Miyata!
Come and post it over there.
Old 05-16-20, 07:49 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Coronavirus has effectively killed randonneuring and touring for awhile, so I stitched up some new portage, a mini zipper front bag and a tool roll, for closer-to-home adventures.
Sounds like we reached similar challenges — shorter rides, and rando bag half empty. I still wanted to make use of my front rack, and then I realized that this old Velo Orange croissant saddle bag actually works great strapped down on the rack. It has a pretty firm back plate to keep it flat against the rack.

Likes For Scottybigs:
Old 09-11-20, 12:14 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
Here's my 1990 World Traveller. Nearly full Shimano Deore DX group and Wolber rims. I'm still working on the finetuning, as I just got her.

Likes For LucasHartong:
Old 01-29-21, 11:11 PM
fliplap

I've wanted to try out an ultra-wide double for randonneuring. I've had this NOS 175mm Sugino PX sitting in the parts box for a bit so I tossed it on with 46 & 28T Sugino chainrings. I'm surprised how well it handles the 18T jump between chainrings. While I was at it, I moved to a 10sp rear by switching out one of the bar ends and the rear cassette

Last edited by fliplap; 01-29-21 at 11:14 PM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 01-29-21, 11:14 PM
polymorphself 

I've wanted to try out an ultra-wide double for randonneuring. I've had this NOS 175mm Sugino PX sitting in the parts box for a bit so I tossed it on the Koga Miyata with 46 & 28T Sugino chainrings. I also switched out the right bar end and cassette for a 11-32 10 speed.

Alright we’re definitely neighbors
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 01-30-21, 07:42 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I've wanted to try out an ultra-wide double for randonneuring. I've had this NOS 175mm Sugino PX sitting in the parts box for a bit so I tossed it on with 46 & 28T Sugino chainrings. I'm surprised how well it handles the 18T jump between chainrings. While I was at it, I moved to a 10sp rear by switching out one of the bar ends and the rear cassette
Nice, that should offer a pretty comparable setup to what you had with the triple right? Even the chainrings without pins and ramps still work quite well with big jumps like that. It can just be a bit rattly at times.
I want to try the Pro-5-Vis cranks with an 43/26 in the front (17T difference) with an 11-speed in the rear. The chain should fit but there is a risk of it falling in between the chainrings. Some modificitations should make that possible though. But everything up to 10-speed chain should be fine.

P.s. Which reminds me, and you've probably seen them already but, I recently made high-res scans of the 1989 Koga-Miyata Brochure and technical specifications brochure which includes this bike.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-30-21 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-17-21, 06:26 PM
fliplap

This bike lives in full touring guise now, I ditched the flexy 50.4 Sugino PX and narrow spaced 10s and went back to the 46-36-24 triple paired to a wide, 11-34, 9s. I also picked up a lightly loved 36h SON28 and built a dynamo wheel for it. I haven't had time to wire a tail light, but I did get the headlight and USB charger done for a recent tour. I'll knock out a post about that later

While the frame has internal routing, the fork isn't designed for a hub dynamo as the bike shipped with a bottom bracket generator. However, for whatever reason, the fork blades have vent holes both at the drop out, and at the crown. With appropriately thin wire I was able to snake 2 leads through the fork.

Here you can see where the wire enters the fork blade. I designed and 3D printed a quick release connector similar to the one used for Shimano hubs, though it's hard to see in this photo. Since newer SON hubs can run in either direction, and the rack's light mount is on the right, I chose to utilize the non-drive-side fork leg. The wiring I used is 22awg "Tefzel" (aka ETFE) wire. This stuff rocks for running through tight spaces as it has a thin, tough, non-stick jacket that won't snag or hang up. Still getting 2 wires through 2 tiny vent holes wasn't easy.

Getting the wire through the fork blade was a multi step process

First I used a length of cleanly cut 4mm shift cable with a 1cm, 90deg kink put in each end. The 90deg kink was key. The cable was inserted at the dropout end and pushed it up the fork blade until I could just see the tip of it glinting off a flashlight pointed into the crown end vent hole. I then twisted the drop out end of the cable, which caused the 90deg kink inside the fork blade to wind up and spin. After a dozen spins or so, the 90deg hook caught in the vent hole and I pulled it through with needle nose pliers

Because the vent holes are so small, the usual method of tying or shrink wrapping the wire to the cable wouldn't work.

Instead I tied a doubled length of strong dental floss to the other kinked cable end and carefully pulled it through. I used a doubled piece so I'd have a backup strand if the first one broke. I tied the floss to a doubled length of wire, and slowly brought it to the top. Here you can see the wire exiting the top of the fork blade, and both going into, and coming out of, the fender.

The end entering the fender, exits at the front and connects to an Edelux II with 2mm banana connectors embedded in a custom 3D printed connector.

The wires routed above the fender and under the fork crown terminates at another copy of that connector that allows a Sinewave Revolution USB charger stored in the rando bag to be quickly disconnected and moved to another bike.

Last edited by fliplap; 07-17-21 at 06:30 PM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 07-17-21, 07:55 PM
polymorphself 

This bike lives in full touring guise now

Looks perfect. Short tour planned? What size tires does it take with fenders? Up to 35’s I’d guess?

Any specific reason for moving to that rack to accommodate lower riders rather than keeping the rondo rack you had and adding a separate low rider rack?

Was the change back to a triple for the more heavily loaded rides you’re planning? The double wasnt going to cut it or you just didn’t like the feel?

Next time you’re around downtown shoot me a DM so I can see this thing in person!

Last edited by polymorphself; 07-17-21 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-17-21, 10:15 PM
fliplap

Looks perfect. Short tour planned? What size tires does it take with fenders? Up to 35’s I’d guess?

Any specific reason for moving to that rack to accommodate lower riders rather than keeping the rondo rack you had and adding a separate low rider rack?

Was the change back to a triple for the more heavily loaded rides you’re planning? The double wasnt going to cut it or you just didn’t like the feel?

Next time you’re around downtown shoot me a DM so I can see this thing in person!
Already took the tour, just need to sort through the photos. I might be able to squeeze 35s under fenders, but realistically 32s are the better fit. The bike is wearing 32mm Paselas in these photos.

I went back to these racks because they’re the factory racks, are perfectly fit to the bike, and I like the light mounts. While Blackburn style low riders don’t have a great reputation, the Koga Miyata interpretation is much sturdier, with thicker tubing and extra reinforcements.

The change back to this triple was partially about gearing, but I do have the parts to setup a 50.4 triple. The larger reason for going back to the factory crank was that the Sugino PX, paired with those Sugino rings, was miserably flexy and I didn’t enjoy riding it.

I’d ping you next time I was in downtown PHX, but I actually moved to Colorado earlier this year, so I’m unlikely to find myself there for coffee anytime soon 😉
Likes For fliplap:
Old 10-31-21, 10:37 AM
fliplap

As somewhat expected, the original aluminum low rider rack eventually cracked. I replaced the front with a Nitto Campee and moved the M-18 to the rear for a small trunk bag. Here's the (rather dirty) bike on a recent Katy Trail out-and-back tour.

Likes For fliplap:
Old 10-31-21, 02:43 PM
polymorphself 

Still loving this bike and still obsessed with the bags.

This was probably touched on up thread somewhere- but geometry wise I’m guessing this bike actually lives up to the randonneur name and handles very well if not better with a front load?

EDIT: Went back and looked, you said even the geo is spot on for an M1000.

Last edited by polymorphself; 10-31-21 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 03:06 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Could have been owned by a military member but could have been owned by an American working locally. I lived and worked in Erlangen then and actually had a bike stolen in front of that exact shop. I owned a Miyata 912 and toured on it, pretty good bike. I wish I had either your model or the Specialized Expedition. Anyway, very nice bike you have there.
Old 10-31-21, 05:35 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I looked through the thread and couldn't find any info, so excuse me if it's already been answered: What are the bags used in the 7/17 post as well as today's?
Old 10-31-21, 06:31 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Rooney
I looked through the thread and couldn't find any info, so excuse me if it's already been answered: What are the bags used in the 7/17 post as well as today's?
I’m almost positive they are all custom made by the OP. I asked in another thread some time back if he was taking orders but he wasn’t .

Last edited by polymorphself; 10-31-21 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-21, 08:39 AM
fliplap

Originally Posted by Rooney

As noted in the above post, sewing is a hobby of mine and I have a (bad?) habit of making new bags somewhat seasonally.

The green panniers were nice for short trips, but I've wanted to carry more stuff for a more “luxurious” bike camping experience. When the original rack failed, it made for a good excuse to plan an easy tour, and make some new, spacious, front panniers. On this trip I carried all the usual suspects, but also had room for a chair, hammock, and plenty of headroom for food and beer. The panniers hold ~20L each, which is still a bit smaller than the 25L of Gilles Berthoud or Waxwing’s camping panniers.

As to if the bike was is most suited for a front load: Maybe? It doesn't seem to suffer from being heavily front loaded. I've observed considerable shimmy with too much rear load and speeds above 30mph or so. I’ve had the big panniers above 40mph without any shimmy at all.

Last edited by fliplap; 11-02-21 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 11-01-21, 12:16 PM
polymorphself 

fliplap do you have a Flickr, Instagram or anything else where you showcase your sewing? Also, cool blue lug sticker.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 11-01-21, 05:31 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Very cool! I love the design of the small green front panniers — so simple.

Also, this photo is incredible and inspirational. Definitely saved for referencing later.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 11-01-21, 10:29 PM
polymorphself 

Does the Nitto Campee utilize the mid fork mounts when the pannier supports are attached?
Old 11-02-21, 08:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
As noted in the above post, sewing is a hobby of mine and I have a (bad?) habit of making new bags somewhat seasonally...
Do you need a special sewing machine to make bike bags or will a regular one do? I'm asking for my wife who has an old Viking Freesia 415 and wants to know if she can use it to make bike bags for me.
Old 11-02-21, 10:19 AM
fliplap

fliplap do you have a Flickr, Instagram or anything else where you showcase your sewing? Also, cool blue lug sticker.
I do not. it really is just a hobby. I make stuff for myself and my family. I'll occasionally make stuff for close friends if they want something relatively simple, and are cool with the fabric I have on hand.

Does the Nitto Campee utilize the mid fork mounts when the pannier supports are attached?
Unfortunately not. It has little "optional" posts that attach to the cantilever studs to provide stability. I did one short tour without utilizing the cantilever studs and, while rideable, it isn't fun. This version of the Campee rack is actually intended for 26" wheeled bikes, but after some careful measuring I decide it would look and function better than the 700c version on this bike.

Originally Posted by kingston
Do you need a special sewing machine to make bike bags or will a regular one do? I'm asking for my wife who has an old Viking Freesia 415 and wants to know if she can use it to make bike bags for me.
I honestly don't know a ton about sewing machines. I've only owned a couple. Bike bags are usually made of many layers of heavy fabric, thread and binding that traditional dress making machines won't handle. While you don't need anything in particular you'll find some work to be impractical without a heavy duty walking foot setup. Anything will get you started, but it might be frustrating, and might ruin the machine.
Likes For fliplap:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.