Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Info on JCOB type R saddle?

Old 05-10-21, 01:14 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Info on JCOB type R saddle?

Looking at the Jcob type R saddle. Anybody have personal experience or know someone with has, with the type R or any others in the Jcob lineup? I have been more than happy with my Brooks for several years, but some ailments have got me looking elsewhere.
Old 05-10-21, 01:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Buy one and give it a try.

Old 05-10-21, 05:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
It looks too wide to me. Is there a way you can try one without buying?

Saddles are so personal, if someone said they liked it I don't think that offers any useful information.
Old 05-10-21, 06:03 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
You might get some feedback over on slowtwitch. I don't blame you, lot of money.

On one bike, I love my B17 but but barely find it tolerable on another bike. The Berthoud Aravis is better on that bike. I went thru quite a few saddles, some not ridden too much. I sold quite a few on ebay, minimizing the damage. On recumbents, the best maker is in Eastern Europe but you have to drill holes in the carbon. Nobody wants a CF seat that is all drilled up.
Old 05-21-21, 05:09 AM
gif4445

I went ahead and got the Type R JCOB saddle. First ride was yesterday. I thought it would feel more cushy than it did, but the company speak is that it will feel a little hard at first. It took a few adjustments, but ended up not feeling too bad. My initial impression is meh. I have an appointment with a fitter in a few days and we will try to dial it in. I guess I'll give it ten rides and then make a decision. Their return policy is 30/60. 30 days to exchange the saddle and 60 days to settle on the one you want. We will see.
Old 05-21-21, 05:12 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You might get some feedback over on slowtwitch. I don't blame you, lot of money.

On one bike, I love my B17 but but barely find it tolerable on another bike. The Berthoud Aravis is better on that bike. I went thru quite a few saddles, some not ridden too much. I sold quite a few on ebay, minimizing the damage. On recumbents, the best maker is in Eastern Europe but you have to drill holes in the carbon. Nobody wants a CF seat that is all drilled up.
After the maiden journey on the type R yesterday, I don't doubt that I will probably return to my B-17 imperial. But I'm always looking for the magic I guess.