Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cut to length cable ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cut to length cable ?

Old 09-05-21, 09:52 AM
TNLRAT
TNLRAT

Bikes: Huffy Savanna 2 person - Motobecane (2)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cut to length cable ?

In my vehicle restoration ventures I would by bulk … 100 feet of this , 20 lbs of that .
I started looking this morning for 85” brake / shifter cables for front to back for 2 up. After doing all the calculations millimeters to this and centimeters to that I came up short ..
my question is can I buy from one source the outer casing, the inner cable , the ends and crimper? I found all this separate on eBay etc.
OR where can I find the 2 that I need ?
I posted a tire size question over in the antique section that probably should have been placed here . Did I miss a “ parts wanted “ sub-forum ?
dan
Old 09-05-21, 10:18 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Visit your LBS. They typically purchase housing in file boxes and can cut to any length you need. They should also have the ferrules and cable end crimps. For inner cables you will need tandem cables to get a single length that will be at least 85"
Likes For RGMN:
Old 09-05-21, 10:27 AM
TNLRAT
TNLRAT

Bikes: Huffy Savanna 2 person - Motobecane (2)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Visit your LBS. They typically purchase housing in file boxes and can cut to any length you need. They should also have the ferrules and cable end crimps. For inner cables you will need tandem cables to get a single length that will be at least 85"
I tried this first , nothing local ..
Old 09-05-21, 10:43 AM
Bagel Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I work in a local bike kitchen restoring donated bikes to give to underprivileged people. We buy cut-to-length cable housing in a box like the one pictured. It's 30 meters in length and surprisingly affordable. I suspect that almost any good bike shop does the same.
Old 09-05-21, 11:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Cable housing is easy.

Extra long inner cables may be quite a bit harder. I'd suggest checking Tandems Ltd. or Tandems East.
Old 09-05-21, 02:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Bagel Bob
I work in a local bike kitchen restoring donated bikes to give to underprivileged people. We buy cut-to-length cable housing in a box like the one pictured. It's 30 meters in length and surprisingly affordable. I suspect that almost any good bike shop does the same.
That's not 'cut to length', it's bulk.
Old 09-05-21, 03:18 PM
Bagel Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the correction. What would cut-to-length be then? I didn't realize there was a distinction between the two.
Old 09-05-21, 06:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
As far as crimping, are we talking about adding the barrel/pear brake ends to a bare cable?

I realize that the standing rigging on a sailboat utilizes crimplng, I’m just not sure about a DIY home cable kit and then stopping from 30+ mph.

Rnd caps are obviously a different subject.

John
Old 09-05-21, 06:58 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Bagel Bob
Thanks for the correction. What would cut-to-length be then? I didn't realize there was a distinction between the two.
Wouldn't cut-to-length be 'pre cut' to the length you need? I guess that would be pre cut...everyone I know calls it bulk. Now that I think about it either way works, just depends on how you think about it.