Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will any of the big named bicycle computers expand the tech?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 06:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts

Will or has any of the big brands soon offer a cycling computer that can be preloaded with mp3s or retain FM capabilities that'll connect to modern Bluetooth headsets?
it might decrease those that are distracted by the smart devices or give an opportunity to those that don't use a smart device & be able to ditch the separate mp3 player.
Old 09-05-21, 06:41 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can sideload spotify or other android apps on some of them
Old 09-05-21, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Will or has any of the big brands soon offer a cycling computer that can be preloaded with mp3s or retain FM capabilities that'll connect to modern Bluetooth headsets?
it might decrease those that are distracted by the smart devices or give an opportunity to those that don't use a smart device & be able to ditch the separate mp3 player.
Expand the tech to FM? Can it also fire up the Victrola or help shift my Boizot Le Montagnard derailleur. I mean the MP3 is neat but streaming is the new MP3s now. Honestly though I have music on my phone I really don't need it elsewhere.
Old 09-05-21, 07:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I don't think there are many cyclists who use a GPS computer for riding but dont have a smartphone.
Old 09-05-21, 08:49 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I don't think there are many cyclists who use a GPS computer for riding but dont have a smartphone.
it would make more sense to use a gps computer over the more costly, much larger, faster battery depleting, & delicate smart device. The quick mounts for a gps computer often hold up better than the bulky cumbersome smart device grip mounts.
Old 09-05-21, 08:50 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Expand the tech to FM? Can it also fire up the Victrola or help shift my Boizot Le Montagnard derailleur. I mean the MP3 is neat but streaming is the new MP3s now. Honestly though I have music on my phone I really don't need it elsewhere.
i wouldnt have use for it to aid in shifting. Opening the garage door could be a nice feature though.
Old 09-05-21, 08:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
it would make more sense to use a gps computer over the more costly, much larger, faster battery depleting, & delicate smart device. The quick mounts for a gps computer often hold up better than the bulky cumbersome smart device grip mounts.
That wasn't my point. I agree it makes more sense to use a GPS device for tracking rides..
But I imagine everyone with a GPS device has a smart phone. That smart phone which most everyone carries can just play music, so the interest in a garmin or wahoo being able to store music files or transmit an fm signal seems pretty limited.

Yes, there are always a few who make up the exception and in this case, that means they actively refuse to carry a phone when riding. If I were at a company and creating features, I wouldn't focus on the small sliver of users and instead focus on the overwhelmingly large section of users.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-05-21, 09:18 PM
Troul 

i'm surprised a company has slapped a very noticeable reflective [yet color tone to blend in well] decal on the gps computers. As if they want you to lose it so you hurry out to replace it with another one...

I put some reflective decals on mine. Came in handy when someone moved the bicycle & was very careless in pushing it off the quick mount.
Old 09-05-21, 09:43 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
i wouldnt have use for it to aid in shifting. Opening the garage door could be a nice feature though.
I have a Chamberlain garage door opener and there is a Garmin widget for opening it. I wasn't impressed with it though.

Old 09-06-21, 09:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Why doesn't Garmin sell a GPS that has phone and text capability? Forget all the 'smart' stuff and ability to run apps, if there was just ability make a phonecall? Is there such a thing as a dumb phone any more that can only make phone calls and do simple texting? I imagine would have to built into a 1000 series form factor model though.
Old 09-06-21, 09:11 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Hammerhead uses Android OS and you can lot apps on it. The other bike computers use their own OS
Old 09-06-21, 09:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I use a Garmin 820 on the bike and do not have a smartphone. Zero interest in listening to music while riding outdoors
Old 09-06-21, 09:35 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Ability of mirroring apps and conversations on smartphones such as Android Auto or Apple Carplay should be very good for bike computers I think. Also for me, a SD card reader for additional apps or music, an integrated soundchip that can process 24 bit audio, ability of playing FLAC, APE, WAV files and 3.5 mm stereo jack to connect a speaker on a bike computer could be superior features. Integrated camera to record rides on the computer could also be a game-changer feature.
Old 09-06-21, 11:27 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I can already open/close and check on my garage door from anywhere in the world with cell service. My phone can already be a gps and my gps is already, well, a gps. I can store files on the gps but I don't know if there's an app to play them.
Old 09-06-21, 03:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If they haven't already, they will soon.

I know that for sure because more electronics is something that I want to avoid on my bicycle so it's definitely coming.
Old 09-06-21, 03:51 PM
Troul 

I'd rather not sync my phone nor actively link my account with my smart device. Whether I like to or not, I don't have a choice regarding employment. Some folks my do it & don't know it's against policy or just don't see the risks. Wish at times I was one of those that didn't know any better... lol.

Loading up the playlist, syncing the BT headset, & have a simple ability to open the garage door may not seem all that great to some, but for me...

Old 09-06-21, 03:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Is there going to be one that can play all those DVD-R's full of MP3's I downloaded with Napster?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-06-21, 04:08 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Is there going to be one that can play all those DVD-R's full of MP3's I downloaded with Napster?
you can change the extension to not worry about that.
Old 09-06-21, 04:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
The Garmin Fenix wearable series can hold music, quite a lot actually. I can't attest to the sound quality but I have a Fenix 5X that I use for all my riding and it has taken a beating over the last 3 years and is no worse for wear. I'm looking at the newer models that hold music and I may flip for one over the holidays.

People often ask me how well my Fenix 5X works as a bike computer. Well, just about everything that a dedicated bike computer can do the 5X does also and it's simple to use, sync with Strava, monitors my heart rate and energy output and it's my wrist watch. This is my second Fenix watch and I love them. I get a full week to 10 days on one charge and that includes daily rides.

BTW, they are a dedicated true satellite GPS device. They don't require anything else to function.
Old 09-06-21, 05:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have a Chamberlain garage door opener and there is a Garmin widget for opening it. I wasn't impressed with it though.
I never thought about this, but would really like it. I suppose you have to hook up the internet gateway?
What was wrong with it?
Old 09-06-21, 05:28 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I never thought about this, but would really like it. I suppose you have to hook up the internet gateway?
What was wrong with it?
Let me clarify. I love the garage door opener and I can say “Siri open my garage door” from anywhere and it opens. Fiddling with the widget wasn’t worth the trouble.

Old 09-06-21, 05:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
So we're looking for a GPS/phone/high-res audio player, with an action cam and garage door opener? With great battery life and not too bulky, either, I assume?

Sure, why not?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-06-21, 09:28 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So we're looking for a GPS/phone/high-res audio player, with an action cam and garage door opener? With great battery life and not too bulky, either, I assume?
Would a beer bottle opener that doubles as a tire tool be too much to add to that list?

Old 09-07-21, 06:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Would a beer bottle opener that doubles as a tire tool be too much to add to that list?
Heck no! The more the merrier, I guess. Along those lines, maybe an electric tire pump should be integrated, too.
Old 09-07-21, 06:37 AM
Troul 

built in bidet & eye washer could be really handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.