Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help Invited Re:New Bike - Trek Domane or Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 09:18 AM
BikingNow

Bikes: 1990 Miyata 721 , 2017 Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Me: 66yo male, height 5'5" Inseam aprox 30" 145 lbs and fairly flexible, live in Indiana

Riding: After retiring bought old bike (June 2021 / 1990 Miyata 721 48cm $100) to see if I would enjoy. Did enjoy riding about 1000 miles in 4 months. Wanted a bike to ride in winter with mudgards, wider tires and found one on craigslist (Aug 2021 / 2017 Giant Anyroad XS $400 w/ mudguards, 32mm tires). With Giant bike started using MTB clipless pedals. Have riden Giant about 700 miles in 4 months. Giant primarily ridden with fall/winter weather permitting. Plan on riding Giant into next spring (2022). Primarily ride on bike paths (good system of paths) and average rides are 30-40 miles. Longest ride to date 50 miles. Average MPH 13.5-14.5 Enjoy longer rides, not looking to race or ride fast. 14-18 MPH is OK. One observation, with Miyata bike I could average about 1 mph more than Giant and Miyata is considerably lighter (about 7 lbs lighter). Also using basic Cateye bike computer to track MPH and distance.

Biking Goals for 2022: Would like to continue riding (target at least 3K for year) and doing some group rides and at least one century. Also would like to upgrade to Wahoo computer or ???

New Bike: Instead of buying another used I would like to get a new bike before next spring. Bike requirements: Comfortable standover. I know that many say it is overrated but I want to be able to have a gap. As a result have been looking at bikes in the 47-49cm or xs/xxs range. Also would like to keep the pricing under 2K. I understand that current stock of bikes is low. Have been researching bikes and seems like the bike of the day is the endurance bike. Have primarily researched the bikes, Giant defy, Trek Domane, Canyon Endurace, Specialized Roubaix & Allez and Cannondale Synapse.

Current availability. Locally one LBS has a Specialized Allez Base model 49cm for $1045 and another LBS has a Trek Domane AL3 49cm for $1400. More expensive but..... In Chicago a LBS has a Specialized Roubaix Sport 49cm for $3200 and in Wisconsin a LBS has a Giant Defy Advanced 2 XS for $2700 - I know they are out of the price limit I set but worth it??? One concern I have with Giant Defy is will it just feel like a lighter Giant Anyroad as it looks like the geometry on the bikes is pretty similar.

Question: Given all the info, would you pick the Specialized Allez or Trek Domane? or....... Is the Defy or Roubaix worth the extra money?

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-21, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale is sort of like comparing the different brands of automobiles. Just pick the one you like. They all are very good and trusted bike makers for those of us here in the USA. Europe tends to see more variety and other good and trusted bike makers.

Between the two bikes they are reasonably the same geometry. So which appeals to you more? Which more emphatically says "ride me" to you? Will one accept wider tires that you one day might want to put on it?

If you have to look for a tie breaker, then go for the one with the best components, the one that is the lightest or the one that comes in that special color you like.

If the bikes are sold by different LBS's, then which shop gives you a better feeling for how they handle you. Or does one happen to be real close to where you live and/or ride?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-03-21, 11:06 AM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I would lean towards the Trek versus the Allez though ride them both and pick the one you like is the best way to decide. The Allez is an entry level road bike whereas the Domane is an endurance bike. My guess is on longer rides the Domane will be a little more comfortable. The Allez is probably a little lighter which could be good if you want to do climbing. The Domane's stack is 540 vs 535 on the Allez and the reach is 368 vs 374. That will have you more upright and less stretched out which along with the head tube angle is what makes the bike more comfortable and "endurance". If you ride the Allez and find it just as comfortable it will probably be a bit faster, but the Domane should be more comfortable especially on long rides. Overall though the Domane seems more like the bike you are saying you want.
Old 12-03-21, 04:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If the bikes and shops are close to you, I'd try test riding both and pick the one you like the best.

Talk with the shops; explain you want to do a longer test ride than many people do (5-10 miles would be great). They'll probably want a credit card to make sure you come back. Ask them for recommendations on where to ride. If you can do them on the same day (one where there's little wind and no snow or ice), that'd be great. You might want to stop for a snack in between rides.

Since you're effectively buying a store, ask them for help getting you fitted. Will they swap out a stem to make the bike fit you better?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-03-21, 05:29 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I like Domane’s especially if it has disks due to the increased tire width capability. As noted above bike fit, components and shop have a lot to do with your purchase. In general I recommend buying the best bike with the best components you can afford if your truly getting into this sport. The LBS should offer a free fit and a tune up with each major purchase. Also a god LBS should help you resolve any manufacturing issues with your bike if the need arises. Have fun and let us know what you decide.
Old 12-04-21, 01:20 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Sounds like you have have several options here. You’re fortunate given the craziness with availability. Fit and comfort is priority here. Good luck with your choice and have fun.
Old 12-04-21, 02:25 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I would get the Allez 100%. As an owner of rim and disc brakes I prefer rim brakes all day and if you're properly fitted to a bike you will be comfortable. I've never got into the current huge tire craze that's swept the cycling world, I'm comfortable on 23mm tires.
Old 12-07-21, 03:48 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingNow
Me: 66yo male, height 5'5" Inseam aprox 30" 145 lbs and fairly flexible, live in Indiana

Riding: After retiring bought old bike (June 2021 / 1990 Miyata 721 48cm $100) to see if I would enjoy. Did enjoy riding about 1000 miles in 4 months. Wanted a bike to ride in winter with mudgards, wider tires and found one on craigslist (Aug 2021 / 2017 Giant Anyroad XS $400 w/ mudguards, 32mm tires). With Giant bike started using MTB clipless pedals. Have riden Giant about 700 miles in 4 months. Giant primarily ridden with fall/winter weather permitting. Plan on riding Giant into next spring (2022). Primarily ride on bike paths (good system of paths) and average rides are 30-40 miles. Longest ride to date 50 miles. Average MPH 13.5-14.5 Enjoy longer rides, not looking to race or ride fast. 14-18 MPH is OK. One observation, with Miyata bike I could average about 1 mph more than Giant and Miyata is considerably lighter (about 7 lbs lighter). Also using basic Cateye bike computer to track MPH and distance.

Biking Goals for 2022: Would like to continue riding (target at least 3K for year) and doing some group rides and at least one century. Also would like to upgrade to Wahoo computer or ???

New Bike: Instead of buying another used I would like to get a new bike before next spring. Bike requirements: Comfortable standover. I know that many say it is overrated but I want to be able to have a gap. As a result have been looking at bikes in the 47-49cm or xs/xxs range. Also would like to keep the pricing under 2K. I understand that current stock of bikes is low. Have been researching bikes and seems like the bike of the day is the endurance bike. Have primarily researched the bikes, Giant defy, Trek Domane, Canyon Endurace, Specialized Roubaix & Allez and Cannondale Synapse.

Current availability. Locally one LBS has a Specialized Allez Base model 49cm for $1045 and another LBS has a Trek Domane AL3 49cm for $1400. More expensive but..... In Chicago a LBS has a Specialized Roubaix Sport 49cm for $3200 and in Wisconsin a LBS has a Giant Defy Advanced 2 XS for $2700 - I know they are out of the price limit I set but worth it??? One concern I have with Giant Defy is will it just feel like a lighter Giant Anyroad as it looks like the geometry on the bikes is pretty similar.

Question: Given all the info, would you pick the Specialized Allez or Trek Domane? or....... Is the Defy or Roubaix worth the extra money?

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Well a number of years ago, I had a choice too with the Allez at the top of my list. BTW, 65 here and cycle about 75-100 miles a week. Anyway, I was talked out of the Allez by the Specialized rep.

He told me the Allez was basically had race type geometry whereas the other bike I was considering had endurance geometry sitting a little more upright. He told me on longer rides of 2+ hours, I would feel it in the Allez. This was basically due to age related flexibility. Based on that, I chose the other bike. I sold that bike last year as I had not ridden it in almost 6 years when I had upgraded to a Felt Z3.

So, all this means is that at our age, frame geometry does matter if you are doing longer rides. The Domane would be a better choice due to its endurance based geometry IMO. I do not own a Trek either, but when you get in your 50's and 60's, comfort plays a big part in ride quality. Again, just my 2 cents.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 12-07-21, 07:26 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
Since I bought a 2021 Domane AL 5 disc this past summer I can only speak to that. I just turned 70 and ride 2-3 times a week usually for 2+ hours or so. Never been uncomfortable on this bike. My LBS did a great job fitting me for the bike, close to an hour of adjusting the bike for my size and posture. Many hear have extolled the virtues of the importance of a proper fitting bike and I would agree 100%. Whatever you chose, where you buy maybe just as important as what you buy, especially if they can understand your goals and what you expect out of the bike. I love my Trek, it’s probably more bike than I need but it’s certainly keeping me motivated to keep riding. Good luck and let us know how it ends up.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 12-07-21, 10:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'm biased, but I say Domane

Old 12-08-21, 02:20 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't think we'll be seeing the OP again. I broke my rule of never replying to someone making their first post. You usually never hear from them again, not even a thanks.
Old 12-09-21, 05:24 AM
BikingNow

Bikes: 1990 Miyata 721 , 2017 Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Decision Made: First thanks to all the provided your opinion and experience with these and other bikes. I was finding making a decision tough by looking for the perfect bike when in reality many bikes can fit the bill. Based upon input and my research my decision was yesterday I purchased a Trek Domane AL5 / 49cm. It was available locally (Indianapolis) and on hand and is now sitting in my garage. A particular shout out to JTMAV as the advise was very relavant.

I purchased the bike at The Bike Line in Indianapolis and with this being my first experience in buying a bike at a LBS my experience was excellent. They had a good supply of bikes on hand, were not busy on a Wednesday and Jordan was able to take the time to set up both a 49 and 52 cm bikes to try to feel the differences. Since I am technically between sizes, but preferred the smaller size, took both on test rides and in preferring the smaller size double checked leg extention body position by setting the bike up on a trainer and spent considerable time discussing bike care and maintenance, riding position, saddle position etc. Did not feel rushed or hurried to decide. Would recommend The Bike Line.

Now showing my age.....as Paul Harvey would say...... "and so that is the rest of the story"
Likes For BikingNow:
Old 12-09-21, 05:48 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
Congrats, glad you did the research and got some advice and fitting from an expert. Hope the weather lets you get out on the new bike and have fun. Great group of riders here and always willing to help some of us newbies.
Be well