Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Old 09-15-20, 11:20 AM
  #76  
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,565

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Maybe the confused "dealership riders" end up on the private lot because of insufficient, inadequate or confusing signs placed (or not placed at all) by the local authorities directing the bicyclists to the official detour.
The detour signs aren't bad, but any detour will creates confusion for some.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 09-15-20, 11:35 AM
  #77  
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,565

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
My guess is that their insurer insists on some very conspicuous signage. Through traffic of any kind through what is essentially a parking lot is an invitation to lots of low speed collisions. A disproportionate number of fender benders occur in parking lots and at gas stations because there's no clear rules of who goes where when. Adding bicycles into the mix just makes this situation worse for the lot owner. And to add to that there's a bunch of people driving vehicles they're not familiar with in the same lot. I doubt this sign was aimed at people who were actually riding to/from the dealership, and I seriously doubt they'd say anything to you if you did..
At the end of the day, your assumptions are equal to my assumptions of the dealership's intent with this signage.

Reference the Strava images with people biking through a gas station's lot ... like you point out, there's a lot more danger in a gas station lot, more moving vehicles versus a dealership with most cars sitting parked. But there's no signage there.

My suggestion is that if they want to limit traffic to customers only, it's simply a sign that reads "local traffic only" - that is so common with other close road situations, that's what makes this 'no bikes' signage stand out to me. Just my perspective. I really don't care, there is a marked detour and in we'll get our bike route back when the commuter rail is complete ... then the signs go away. And it will have no effect on my car buying choices since I have no interest in buying a car.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 09-15-20, 11:59 AM
  #78  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,218

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6880 Post(s)
Liked 6,803 Times in 3,829 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
At the end of the day, your assumptions are equal to my assumptions of the dealership's intent with this signage.

Reference the Strava images with people biking through a gas station's lot ... like you point out, there's a lot more danger in a gas station lot, more moving vehicles versus a dealership with most cars sitting parked. But there's no signage there.

My suggestion is that if they want to limit traffic to customers only, it's simply a sign that reads "local traffic only" - that is so common with other close road situations, that's what makes this 'no bikes' signage stand out to me. Just my perspective. I really don't care, there is a marked detour and in we'll get our bike route back when the commuter rail is complete ... then the signs go away. And it will have no effect on my car buying choices since I have no interest in buying a car.
Actually, I have a pretty well-educated guess there, gas stations notwithstanding. That's a parking lot full of inventory, and if it's a busy car lot, that's a lot of local traffic moving about the lot. Throw in some bicyclists, and it's making a lot more likely that someone is going to have to swerve into that brand new Accord. Gas stations are comparatively small so not so much room for a sign, also they're generally very low margin operations, so they might not be able to afford one.

Why would they want a sign that said "local traffic only"? I assume it's bike riders and not car drivers that are using this as a de facto detour and, like it or not, I don't think most riders think of themselves as traffic. If their problem really is a bunch of trespassing cyclists diverted into the lot, are we really so easily offended that they would put up a sign specifically addressing the problem?
livedarklions is offline  
Old 09-15-20, 12:12 PM
  #79  
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,565

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Actually, I have a pretty well-educated guess there, gas stations notwithstanding. That's a parking lot full of inventory, and if it's a busy car lot, that's a lot of local traffic moving about the lot. Throw in some bicyclists, and it's making a lot more likely that someone is going to have to swerve into that brand new Accord. Gas stations are comparatively small so not so much room for a sign, also they're generally very low margin operations, so they might not be able to afford one.

Why would they want a sign that said "local traffic only"? I assume it's bike riders and not car drivers that are using this as a de facto detour and, like it or not, I don't think most riders think of themselves as traffic. If their problem really is a bunch of trespassing cyclists diverted into the lot, are we really so easily offended that they would put up a sign specifically addressing the problem?
Honestly, you have better knowledge of a business and trail blocks from my house ... cool story.

Moving along ...
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 09-15-20, 01:12 PM
  #80  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,218

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6880 Post(s)
Liked 6,803 Times in 3,829 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Honestly, you have better knowledge of a business and trail blocks from my house ... cool story.

Moving along ...
Didn't claim that, but I do know quite a bit about civil liability and can recognize a classic CYA move when I see it. My knowledge about the trail is irrelevant, I didn't say anything about it. Anything special about that car lot that I got wrong?

Move along, it's your dumb example.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 12:47 PM
  #81  
AndrewJB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 85

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Do "signs" painted on the ground count...?
Somewhere in Greece!
I am proud of my Greek heritage, but stuff like this just makes me shake my head...
Back there in the "old country" there's a word for those responsible for the likes of this...Malaka!

AndrewJB is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 01:20 PM
  #82  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,218

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6880 Post(s)
Liked 6,803 Times in 3,829 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB View Post
Do "signs" painted on the ground count...?
Somewhere in Greece!
I am proud of my Greek heritage, but stuff like this just makes me shake my head...
Back there in the "old country" there's a word for those responsible for the likes of this...Malaka!

That's not even a good sidewalk! The leaning trees really put it over the top.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 02:54 PM
  #83  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,921
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15977 Post(s)
Liked 3,299 Times in 2,451 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB View Post
Do "signs" painted on the ground count...?
Somewhere in Greece!
I am proud of my Greek heritage, but stuff like this just makes me shake my head...
Back there in the "old country" there's a word for those responsible for the likes of this...Malaka!

A popular mod for cheap road bikes...



With a little more effort, one can also turn the bars around, but then one doesn't get the benefit of a shortened reach.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 09:09 PM
  #84  
detroitjim
Senior Member
 
detroitjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Beware of the Sign




Last edited by detroitjim; 10-07-20 at 09:13 PM.
detroitjim is offline  
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 04-06-22, 07:19 AM
  #85  
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,565

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 454 Posts
A revisited sign ... somebody wrote exactly what I was thinking.

For reference, up the trail (to the right of this picture) is the far behind schedule and significantly over budget Green Line extension project in Minneapolis. This stupid sign has been here for 3 years, legally requiring people to walk bikes on a trail that no different than the trails throughout the rest of the metro ... in fact, this trail is wider that many other places around town, and there are places much more difficult to navigate without signs. And I have seen exactly zero people walking their bikes here [/rant]

Hypno Toad is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
markk900
Classic & Vintage
4
06-04-16 07:49 PM
2ndGen
Professional Cycling For the Fans
4
01-21-12 10:47 AM
2ndGen
Road Cycling
159
11-05-11 05:27 AM
kostyap
Road Cycling
18
06-16-11 08:11 AM
patentcad
Road Cycling
342
10-18-10 12:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.