Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Project

Old 02-11-22, 12:00 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
New Project

1993 Specialized Stumpjumper

I decided to get a project bike and found this one online for cheap. The shifters don't work and it has a 24" wheel in the rear on what should have been a 26", the rear brake pads were taken off since they would pinch on the tire. Good thing some parts are fairly cheap.

My thoughts on this project are to convert it into a gravel bike for even cheaper, since I already have the drop bars, a set of 10 speed brifters, stem, quill adapter and derailluers.

Any thoughts on this project?
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 02-11-22, 03:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Cool! Love the color. I wouldn't bother with changing to drop bars unless you are planning on longer distances. However, if that's what you want there is a long thread in C&V for inspiration. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

Last edited by shelbyfv; 02-11-22 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Link
Old 02-11-22, 08:47 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cool! Love the color. I wouldn't bother with changing to drop bars unless you are planning on longer distances. However, if that's what you want there is a long thread in C&V for inspiration. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html
I’m converting to drop bars because I find them more comfortable. Thanks for the link, I will check it out
Old 02-11-22, 10:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I’m converting to drop bars because I find them more comfortable. Thanks for the link, I will check it out
If you are using road shifters, you will need to use a road front derailer. The only issue is that if you are using the triple mountain bike crank, you’ll probably need to move the crank inboard because the chainline for the mountain bike crank is too wide for the road front derailer. You’ll likely need a shorter spindle on the bottom bracket. But you’ll have to watch how far inboard you go because the chainrings can hit the chain stay if you move too far inboard.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-11-22, 11:12 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you are using road shifters, you will need to use a road front derailer. The only issue is that if you are using the triple mountain bike crank, you’ll probably need to move the crank inboard because the chainline for the mountain bike crank is too wide for the road front derailer. You’ll likely need a shorter spindle on the bottom bracket. But you’ll have to watch how far inboard you go because the chainrings can hit the chain stay if you move too far inboard.
Thank you for the information, I thought that might be a problem. I have a spare road triple off of my Jamis aurora elite to put on there.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 02-12-22, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Thank you for the information, I thought that might be a problem. I have a spare road triple off of my Jamis aurora elite to put on there.
I’m not trying to persuade you against using the mountain crank. It has a better range than road triples. I’d try to make the mountain triple work before giving up on it. Just be aware of the issues and have a back up plan…which you do have.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-13-22, 04:37 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m not trying to persuade you against using the mountain crank. It has a better range than road triples. I’d try to make the mountain triple work before giving up on it. Just be aware of the issues and have a back up plan…which you do have.
You got me thinking about this project and my other thought is that I have a set of shimano 10 speed bar end shifters in my junk box and some old aero brake levers. I think the set is 3x10 and the left side is friction. That would take care of the front derailleur issues (I hope). I also have a set of shimano aero brake levers that could go with the set.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 02-21-22, 01:45 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I was looking at your brakes and it appears that you may have V brakes on the back and cantilevers on the front. It is hard to tell from the picture so please disregard if I am mistaken.

If you have both V brakes and cantis then you will need to make sure you have compatible brake levers for the two different brake types or switch out one or the other. V brakes usually need long pull levers while cantis use short pull levers.

I just did a drop bar to alt bar conversion and used Shimano Sora flat bar levers to support the cantis on my Surly LHT. I will be upgrading them to V brakes in the future and those levers support both long and short pull. I think they have a drop bar version as well with the same feature.

Good luck with the project and enjoy it.
Likes For bigwies:
Old 02-25-22, 12:37 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by bigwies
I was looking at your brakes and it appears that you may have V brakes on the back and cantilevers on the front. It is hard to tell from the picture so please disregard if I am mistaken.

If you have both V brakes and cantis then you will need to make sure you have compatible brake levers for the two different brake types or switch out one or the other. V brakes usually need long pull levers while cantis use short pull levers.

I just did a drop bar to alt bar conversion and used Shimano Sora flat bar levers to support the cantis on my Surly LHT. I will be upgrading them to V brakes in the future and those levers support both long and short pull. I think they have a drop bar version as well with the same feature.

Good luck with the project and enjoy it.
This bike has canti's front and rear.

I am still trying to decide what to do with this project. I just found out that the brifters for option 1 of the gravel build is being used, the bar end shifters for option 2, may not be to snuff. So I am trying to decide between keeping it as a rigid mountain bike getting new brake levers and shifters (these are integrated brake and shifters) and the current shifters are not working, or the original idea to convert it to a gravel bike.

I also found out that I am getting a diamondback bike donated to me that may be better for a gravel bike, it has disc brakes and 1x11 brifter on it but without a drive train.

so much to decide in the next few months. Also with high price of new and used parts, it may be better to wait until the supply issues are resolved.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 04-30-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-19-22, 10:23 PM
cyclist2000

Well this project took a 180. My brother-in-law were talking bikes and he was getting rid of a Diamondback Haanjo. He donated it to me. It was in pretty good shape sans drivetrain.

So I had two projects now, the Stumpjumper had crappy shifters (not working) and these were integrated with brake levers and the Diamondback. I decided to bring them back to life in somewhat original form. Since I was getting new shifters I decided to go with a 10 speed rear end and keep the triple up front. I got a few parts and put it together, but there was some skipping in the drivetrain and the brakes wouldn't stop me on the test ride. Turns out that the rear derailleur that I had in the spares box was for a 9 speed. Well, back to the workshop, I got a proper derailleur and new brake pads. Everything worked great on the next test ride.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-20-22, 03:20 PM
DeadSlow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
Looks like a nice little pastime. I think I might do something like this soon just to play around with bikes a bit more. I haven't checked the second hand market around here but with roofs to fix and solar panels to put up it will be a little while before I start thinking about it.
Old 04-30-22, 06:35 PM
cyclist2000

It is a nice pastime. I get to play with my hobby. Do some problem solving. Read up on the newer gear. On this diamondback, this has been my first chance to play with disc brakes.