Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creak/click in titanium seat tube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-11-07, 02:43 PM
MerckxMad
10 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a compact titanium frame (Omega Radius) that has an aluminum sleeve welded into the seat tube to hold the seat post (Thomson Elite). It has developed a wickedly loud creaking/clicking noise every time I ride over a rough surface. LBS was able to identify the source of the noise. Despite changing seat posts and over-torquing the seat tube collar, we cannot figure out how to silence the noise. Although the sleeve is attached to the seat tube, it seems loose at the bottom end which allows the seat post to move ever so slightly, causing the noise. Any ideas on a fix?
Old 05-21-22, 03:05 PM
jollycycle

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. Many years later - I have exactly the same construction (sleeve in the seat tube) and the same problem (clicking). If you're still around, did you fix it?
Old 05-21-22, 03:17 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I doubt the sleeve is actually welded if they are different metals (as the original post Ti frame, Al sleeve).
In this case, I'd look for some way to remove the sleeve and apply some form of lubrication; or at least get some oil in the interface.
(Stand by for Zombie Thread comments!)
Old 05-21-22, 03:21 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
When you revive a long dead thread like this one you should always check the last post by the OP. In this case, that was 11 years ago. Starting a new thread would have been a better idea since the OP isn't likely to see your question
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-21-22, 03:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Zombie thread notwithstanding, I had a similar click with a Kona Sutra LTD that had an aluminum shim factory-installed in the seat tube. Grease would silence it for awhile, then it would return. We eventually glued the shim in place, maybe with JB Weld or epoxy, I don't remember. It solved the issue, but I never understood the rationale for intentionally making the seat tube oversized and using a shim.
Old 05-21-22, 08:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
"but I never understood the rationale for intentionally making the seat tube oversized and using a shim." Rolla

Maybe because your view is backwards. The tube is what fits the design goals AND is actually available. The shim allow for a standard diameter post to fit. Additionally the shim will help correct for heat induced deformation that can be about the weld. Lastly the shim can be made long enough to best support the joints area and the seat post clamping.

In the 1980s/1990s some Cannondales used a seat tube shim (and both being Al it might have been able to be welded, but wasn't as a press fit worked well most of the time). These sometimes creaked and clicked with shifting weight on the seat. IIRC the Cannondale suggested solution was to soak the upper end of the seat tube in linseed oil. We just used penetrating oil. Andy
Old 05-21-22, 09:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I have two ti frames. Both are shimmed down to 27.2. Thank you, for letting me use any of the million 27.2 posts out there! I've never had an issue with either one and in fact, I've never thought about them. 20K and 15k miles. Just grease the posts liberally. (Ti posts so maybe aluminum is better against galling but I doubt it would be an issue with the amount of grease I use.)
Old 05-21-22, 10:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Maybe because your view is backwards. The tube is what fits the design goals AND is actually available.
Didn't realize that 27.2mm ID tubing has been in short supply all these years.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Additionally the shim will help correct for heat induced deformation that can be about the weld. Lastly the shim can be made long enough to best support the joints area and the seat post clamping.
Then why isn't everyone using a two-piece seat tube that makes noise? Maybe their view is backwards.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-21-22 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 08:17 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Rolla- Sorry if I sounded aggressive with my earlier reply. Wasn't trying to diss you but to describe how the view of a builder works.

There are many references of Ti tubing and its dimensions and the availability, or lack of, of bike friendly specs from over the years. Witness the un tapered stays so common.

The vast majority of shimmed (as in press fitted and not the shims that the LBS might supply) seat tubes have no issues. That this practice has been used by so many makers, to me, means it's a very practical way to control post fits.

But we all have our opinions about stuff we don't see eye to eye with. Andy
Old 05-22-22, 11:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
...Both are shimmed down to 27.2. Thank you, for letting me use any of the million 27.2 posts out there!...
Same here, Litespeed and Habanero, cheap split shims, lubed, and fitting the way too many 27.2 posts on my shelf.