Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tall crown race for 1" threaded steerer

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-03-22, 06:17 AM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Trying to fit this rim brake caliper to a 700C Rossin track steel fork. The top of the caliper arm overlaps about 2 or 3mm with the crown race bottom so the caliper won't fit.

Before fitting a spacer in the brake bolt to increase horizontal clearance, is there a tall crown race I could install that would act as a vertical spacer instead?

Chris King used to make one for MTB that was 5mm tall but was not able to find one for a 1"/26mm steerer.
Old 06-03-22, 06:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Finding a taller crown race that will work with your lower cup could be a chore. Just use a spacer.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-03-22, 06:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
2 or 3 mm behind the brake is a much better idea than 5mm under the bearings.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-03-22, 07:06 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've always solved that problem with a spacer on the brake mount.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-03-22, 08:15 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 740 Posts
Another vote for caliper spacers. I've had similar issues with bikes I've owned and a good solid spacer has worked without any issues. Your local bike shop should have some in stock with the correct tolerances as opposed to getting a sloppy fitting one at the hardware store or stacking washers.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-03-22, 09:54 AM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
2 or 3 mm behind the brake is a much better idea than 5mm under the bearings.
Agreed. My case is the opposite, 2mm under the bearings versus about 6mm behind.

The reason I'm being stubborn against the spacers is that the caliper is mounted in the fork rear. It's a TRP 925 time trial caliper bolted into a vintage fork. So clearance is limited, unlike with a front fork mounted front brake, if that makes sense. Example: //theurbanbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/trp-RED-FRONT-800x533.jpeg

Last edited by JISO; 06-03-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 10:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Excuse me if this sounds dismissive but it appears you are trying to mount the wrong brake on the wrong fork.
Old 06-03-22, 10:26 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Excuse me if this sounds dismissive but it appears you are trying to mount the wrong brake on the wrong fork.
It's currently on a Columbus steel Italian pista, fits the stock fork well but it'd be nice to upgrade it with this fork.

I like these calipers because being rear mounted on the fork and black, they disappear completely into the 40mm deep black rim
Old 06-03-22, 10:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Just thinking here - won't a tall crown lessen the steerer above the headtube, lessening stack? Do you have enough steerer showing?

If you find that tall crown race and have stack issues, consider the Tange $8 OEM race and locknut for the top. Super short stack. (Top races don't do very much beyond keep things in line. The best bottom race will probably die before that $8 top.

Which brings me to comment on the classic BF response. Question - "I want to do this. Does anybody know where to get/how to do ....?" Answer - "You're wrong. You should be doing this ..." One of my favorite rides I kept out of BF discussions until it was done because it would have generated pages of those responses.
Old 06-03-22, 01:02 PM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Just thinking here - won't a tall crown lessen the steerer above the headtube, lessening stack? Do you have enough steerer showing?

If you find that tall crown race and have stack issues, consider the Tange $8 OEM race and locknut for the top. Super short stack. (Top races don't do very much beyond keep things in line. The best bottom race will probably die before that $8 top.

Which brings me to comment on the classic BF response. Question - "I want to do this. Does anybody know where to get/how to do ....?" Answer - "You're wrong. You should be doing this ..." One of my favorite rides I kept out of BF discussions until it was done because it would have generated pages of those responses.
Yes it would, there's enough steerer but maybe not 5mm