Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are bike swaps back?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are bike swaps back?

Old 05-11-22, 12:39 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 176 Posts
I'll be running a booth at the Trexlertown Firehouse swap this weekend, along with a visit to Kutztown as well. I have a lot of vintage Campagnolo, along with similar items from Shimano, Suntour, and Huret. Plus frames, rims, and restored Raleigh International & Competition bikes. I did the Brooklyn Bike Jumble last weekend and it was an absolute deluge of rain all day. However, that just meant that almost everyone who did show up were hardcore bike nerds, so I did a good business despite the weather. Sold four Campagnolo Nuovo Record groups!
Old 05-11-22, 01:40 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I, too, don't even think we have a co-op nearby.
There is a guy on CL who advertises lots and lots of clothes, often used parts.
His name is Tod (one d). He's attached to some kind of co-op in Carrboro.
He often sells gear with tags that is donated to the co-op, and they sell it to pay utilities, etc.

He used to meet at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro to do swaps, sell stuff.
Dress down to blend in, don't wear red or any USA colors, you'll be fine.
Old 05-11-22, 04:21 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts

Old 05-12-22, 03:58 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Velofest was smaller than usual this year. The weather was not good (even Gore-Tex didn't help) but there were deals for people that stuck it out. Also, there was a lot of good, vintage iron at the show. It's a good sign for the future.

We'll see how the K-town show goes. The missus and I normally go to it, as it's local to us.
Old 05-12-22, 04:23 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
The biggest in the country is Denver (CO). They have 2000K of folks and it's held in a sports area. I hope they have it this year.
Old 05-13-22, 03:44 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
The biggest in the country is Denver (CO). They have 2000K of folks and it's held in a sports area. I hope they have it this year.
I thought it was already held, early January?

Un, and 2000K, is that not 2 million?
That would make the news.
Old 05-14-22, 05:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Frankenbike has been having swaps in Austin and Houston Texas. From what I could see there has really not been much there. It would appear that most of us are hanging onto anything we have that is still serviceable so mostly unusable items show up at the swap. The good thing about the swaps is that it brings cyclists together of all ages and that is allot of fun...

https://frankenbike.net/
I had a table at the March Frankenbike in San Antonio (which alternates with Austin). I sold a few items and one bike. I did some on-the-spot repairs for riders. I was surprised how little both buyers and sellers knew about bicycles, their history, parts compatibilities, fit...so many areas. I'm told that the Austin crowd is better. I'll register for a table there this summer.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-14-22, 06:42 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Back in action in DFW also and I got some nice bits and jerseys. Some killer deals on frames.
One ex racer was selling his Coppi Campy SR racer and Im sure glad it was too small.

https://do214.com/events/2022/5/1/th...e-swap-tickets

THE INAUGURAL COWTOWN CYCLE SWAP

Past(05/1/2022)

Tulips FTW
Old 05-14-22, 01:47 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 319 Posts
Got back from the Whittier Bike Swap Meet held earlier today.

2nd Saturday of the month. Looks like the Sellers are staring to trickle back in . Lots of good stuff there at reasonable prices.. well,except that one guy.

Old 05-15-22, 09:01 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Got back from the Whittier Bike Swap Meet held earlier today.

2nd Saturday of the month. Looks like the Sellers are staring to trickle back in . Lots of good stuff there at reasonable prices.. well,except that one guy.
I think I will have to bring some stuff to this next month...
Likes For lasauge:
Old 05-16-22, 09:50 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

UPDATE:
1-Muscle bikes, mostly Schwinn Stingrays, from $700 to $2,000. Probably 75-100 on site. I didn't see any sell, but I wasn't paying attention. Parts for same were higher than comparable C&V parts.

2-Highwheelers/Pennyfarthings, etc. One for sale, it was a 52" and was $4800. They are pretty cool. Half the wheel diameter, converted to cm, is about a 62cm, and you have to add some for the distance to the saddle (which is not a lot more). They had none my size.

3-Cruisers are big, and were not overly expensive. Patina is much more prevalent. There were probably 75 cruisers there. Most were rusty old bikes, IMO, but this genre has its own rules, etc. It was certainly interesting.

4-70's to 80's road bikes, very few. Maybe 20, including 5 of mine. I further pursued a chance to buy something from the large cache belonging to a local, and he's pretty much not interested in selling any. They are not being ridden, or on display, but I'm sure he has plans for them. I did see one sell that had been re-wrapped in woodgrain. That was interesting, with light bronze DiaCompe.

5-The era from about 1920 to 1960 was pretty popular, a couple of 2-speeds, some interesting brake systems (disc rears), etc. A "Hopalong Cassidy" sold for $40, with riveted saddlebags, etc, and that surprised me.

6-A stack of 700x23 tires for free went completely unclaimed, as did 27.5 MTB tires. I did manage to give away a 700x28 Gatorskin, and sold a NIB KMC chain for $10. That bought my lunch.

It was a very interesting morning, as some vendors were all about bike tools, some just parts, some just frames. I was especially interested in their transportation, and came upon a truck bought and built just for this hobby, and got some tips. The vendors are still bike people, fun and cordial. I turned down a $1400 carbon tubed Alan/Guerciotti with C-Record and a look ErgoStem. My bikes brought interest, but the overall swap meet was more like a reunion of old friends and the bikes were there to talk about. That was fine with me. There was a coffee shop across the street, the whole thing was free.

I made an offer on a mid-60's VW pickup with the swing-down sides, rusted out on the bed lowers, turned down flat, which I expected. My visions of extensive bodywork, a military-style bed cover, and a 914 pancake motor went unfulfilled. I left my name and number just in case.

Great breakfast at a local restaurant with almost non-existent service, but good nonetheless. Basically, Cracker Barrel less 40%.

Coming home, I experienced returning Ozark lake traffic for the first time, in rain, at 80 mph. Combining 18-wheelers with varying horsepower, towed campers and boats, rain, long hills, and F1 wannabes was interesting. I saw one accident happen directly behind me, fully expecting the spinning Suburban to hit me in the rear, but they got stopped just in time to get t-boned by a minivan, which then opened the R/F door and that was taken off by the car going around it. That particular car kept going and passed me, apparently not worried about the front end damage and any investigation.

I'll probably go again in the fall.

Originally Posted by bamboobike4

Last edited by bamboobike4; 05-16-22 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 05-16-22, 12:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
Maybe filming for Ozark, season 5?
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-16-22, 03:00 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Kutztown had 56 vendors set up over the three days and many of those camped out for a night or two. Pretty good turnout and I saw a lot of walk ins on Saturday. Little bit of everything there. The Trexlertown swap at the firehouse (behind the Velodrome) was scheduled for the same three days and had a very light turnout from what I heard.
Old 05-16-22, 03:44 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by curbtender
Maybe filming for Ozark, season 5?
"Jonah Gets His License"
Old 05-16-22, 04:29 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by kingsting
Kutztown had 56 vendors set up over the three days and many of those camped out for a night or two. Pretty good turnout and I saw a lot of walk ins on Saturday. Little bit of everything there. The Trexlertown swap at the firehouse (behind the Velodrome) was scheduled for the same three days and had a very light turnout from what I heard.
I was at Kutztown on Saturday from around 9:30am until 3pm. My friends and I stopped at Trexlertown first, only to find three vendors and no buyers. Having never attended a swap outside of NYC, I was pretty worried until we rolled into the Kutztown campground and saw a full parking lot and many vendors.

From an inventory perspective, Kutztown was 70% Schwinns & American muscle bikes / balloon tire bikes and about 30% 1960s-1990s road stuff. There were only three vendors (including myself) who sold exclusively road and track stuff; a few others had a mix of things with road & track parts in their bins if you took the time to look. Overall, the vibe was great - very friendly and welcoming from the moment I drove up. Good food at very reasonable prices (I had breakfast and lunch for about $10 total). I'd say the only downside was very few buyers who weren't also vendors. There just wasn't a lot of foot traffic, which made sense since the venue is pretty far out in a lovely campground. Casual cyclists aren't going to stumble onto it the way say, the Brooklyn Bike Jumble usually has all kinds of random people. I did enough in sales to justify the trip, and had a lot of fun conversations with the other vendors. There were a lot of good deals and finds to be had as well. I would have bought a lot more stuff but I'm trying to be as disciplined as possible about selling and not buying. I did score a titanium bottom bracket and a Shimano 7400 NJS track bottom bracket for $40 total, and each is worth several times that amount.

There was a lot of scuttlebutt going around regarding the two competing swaps. As an outsider / first timer, my observation was that I hope the two groups can work things out ahead of next year, as keeping it to one venue in a more accessible place would be to everyone's benefit. Kutztown had all the action, but after over a decade hearing about the Trexlertown swap, I can't help but think there might have been a larger buying crowd if there weren't competing swaps on the same day.
Old 05-17-22, 05:51 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
I was at Kutztown on Saturday from around 9:30am until 3pm. My friends and I stopped at Trexlertown first, only to find three vendors and no buyers. Having never attended a swap outside of NYC, I was pretty worried until we rolled into the Kutztown campground and saw a full parking lot and many vendors.

From an inventory perspective, Kutztown was 70% Schwinns & American muscle bikes / balloon tire bikes and about 30% 1960s-1990s road stuff. There were only three vendors (including myself) who sold exclusively road and track stuff; a few others had a mix of things with road & track parts in their bins if you took the time to look. Overall, the vibe was great - very friendly and welcoming from the moment I drove up. Good food at very reasonable prices (I had breakfast and lunch for about $10 total). I'd say the only downside was very few buyers who weren't also vendors. There just wasn't a lot of foot traffic, which made sense since the venue is pretty far out in a lovely campground. Casual cyclists aren't going to stumble onto it the way say, the Brooklyn Bike Jumble usually has all kinds of random people. I did enough in sales to justify the trip, and had a lot of fun conversations with the other vendors. There were a lot of good deals and finds to be had as well. I would have bought a lot more stuff but I'm trying to be as disciplined as possible about selling and not buying. I did score a titanium bottom bracket and a Shimano 7400 NJS track bottom bracket for $40 total, and each is worth several times that amount.

There was a lot of scuttlebutt going around regarding the two competing swaps. As an outsider / first timer, my observation was that I hope the two groups can work things out ahead of next year, as keeping it to one venue in a more accessible place would be to everyone's benefit. Kutztown had all the action, but after over a decade hearing about the Trexlertown swap, I can't help but think there might have been a larger buying crowd if there weren't competing swaps on the same day.
That's a great writeup and I'm glad you enjoyed the swap at Kutztown. It's one of the most laid back, relaxing swaps I ever attended. 180 degrees from the fast movers like Westminster and Brooklyn. It should be back in the fall, sometime around mid-September. If all goes well, Trexlertown should be the first weekend in October. They like to coordinate that one in between the big car shows at Carlisle and Hershey and they also want to do it the same weekend as Velofest which usually falls on the same weekend. I'm just going to call this a "hiccup" that the two spring shows fell on the same dates this year and leave it at that.

Last edited by kingsting; 05-17-22 at 05:52 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-28-22, 05:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

https://mmbhof.org/shop/event-ticket...eid=8c2e043efc

Old 06-10-22, 09:17 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Bumping this thread to say I'm going to the Whittier Swap tomorrow - bringing a couple nicer older frames (1978 Trek TX700, Falcon San Remo, Medici) and a few parts that I want to clear out of my garage. I'll be wearing my vintage Nashbar shirt, come say hi!

After action report: was a very small swap and all the action was done by 10 AM, but met some nice folks (including malcala622 ). No pictures since I didn't buy anything and they would look basically the same as what has been previously posted of this swap. Mission was mostly successful though as I did sell all the parts and the complete bike I took - everything except the frames mentioned above!

Last edited by lasauge; 06-11-22 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 06-11-22, 09:22 AM
curbtender

Nascar is in town, so 101 will probably be a mess today. 1st year swap. If someone goes I'd like to hear a review.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bop...492484338.html

Bike Swap June 11 (Santa Rosa)

image 1 of 5
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-11-22, 10:37 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
To All,
It is really great to see things opening up again...I am wondering along with all of the great write ups and posters, at the next one can we see some pictures? I mean after folks have scored the goodies that they have found.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 06-11-22, 09:50 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
MMB Bike Swap June 4th, 2022

Great seller show up with lots of good deals on bikes, frames, wheelsets, clothing and so on.... About 60% road and 40% MTB.

This was pretty much a waste of time from a seller's point of view. I'm glad that I didn't bring too much. Space and table rental $80. Very few bikes were sold and not many frames or wheels. Mostly bottom feeder sales for inexpensive items.

I went last year and sold a few things (around $800) but I don't plan on going back there again (less than $200 in sales for far less than market value). Same thing with some of the folks I know who were there both years.

I considered going to the Bike Swap in Santa Rosa today June 11, 2022 but that's a 120+ mile round trip for me.... Glad to know that I didn't miss much with the NASCAR traffic.

The Bike Forums Classic & Vintage Sales Sub Forum is a far better venue!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-11-22 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 06-11-22, 10:01 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Nascar is in town, so 101 will probably be a mess today. 1st year swap. If someone goes I'd like to hear a review.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bop...492484338.html

Bike Swap June 11 (Santa Rosa)

image 1 of 5
I had a table at this sale. Good cause. Good beer. A few good conversations. A few buyers. Tight spacing. Had a good time because I really like bike stuff and bike people.

-D
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 06-12-22, 11:10 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
I sold a few nice pieces to a young man Saturday who is getting started with vintage bicycles. He buys most of his parts on-line for the convenience. He asked why I had two Campagnolo cranks priced differently. I pointed out that one set had Campagnolo crank caps and a 41 T Campagnolo inner ring.
A couple of things that he would probably learn to look for by studying forums like this one but I think it made more of an impression with the items in hand.

At the Marin swap a few weeks ago @verktyg pinged a Follis frame with the tip of his finger and remarked that the tubing had a particular resonance. I came home and pinged away with other frames. I would like to get that ear.

Nothing like being there with someone who knows.

But on-line best for the business end and if you do not have direct access to the folks with knowledge.

-D
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 06-12-22, 02:16 PM
curbtender

I think if you go with swap as your main objective then just meeting new contacts you can trade with is worth the trip. I usually bring a sacrificial bike to pay for the spot. Made a few trades at the Faiffax swap and sold three bikes so I was happy.
Old 06-12-22, 02:23 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
In my little town we had an annual bike swap in October during the Seagull Century. That was pre-covid, but not since 2019 as I recall. A local coop (now kaput) tried one around the same time, but it was a disaster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.