Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

50mph ebike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

50mph ebike

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 12:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
Yeah, bobbing and weaving through traffic has real safety issues too.
I live in NY, and have been a bike messenger in NYC/Manhattan, so stating the obvious doesn't actually make a point. Unless you've experienced what I'm referring to, I have no idea what you're actually trying to say. Any time you ride in traffic you have risk. If you know the rules of the road in your location (bobbing and weaving through traffic is allowed where I live, as long as you obey signs and signals), as well as electric bikes and scooters being 100% legal.
Old 04-10-22, 07:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Hence license, registration & insurance required for cars.
You don't insure a car because it can go 120mph. You (must) insure it because it weighs 5000lbs!
Old 04-10-22, 07:10 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by jon c.
I saw a scooter the other day that was doing near 50 downhill and over 35 on the flat. He used the bike lane for the mile or so it exists and then took the lane for the next mile and had no problem holding his place in morning traffic. I'd be afraid to go that fast on wheels that size. Doesn't seem like it would take much of a pebble to send you airborne.
You saw this daredevil cruise along for how many MILES and you don't imagine he hit a single pebble in all that time and distance? ANY scooter with 50mph capability has both front and rear suspension and can hit ROCKS in their path. Not advocating their use in traffic but ... come on. Can't we be better than this?
Old 04-10-22, 07:17 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Two wheels and a motor that is activated by pedaling is a bicycle what you probably saw was some moped crap or something highly illegal and probably made from cheap parts.

Bicycles belong just about anywhere but throttled machines belong on just roads or private affairs. If you aren't physically moving to propel forwards 100% of the time (minus coasting) then you don't need to be on a MUP or anything like that and if you are going at high speeds you definitely don't belong on anything shared with pedestrians.

Me personally I have no interest in going more than the 28mph my bike is limited to aside from unassisted on a downhill or something like that. If I want to go fast I want an actual motorcycle but I am good. My bike is just fine and way more fun and I get some exercise out of the affair.
There are at least three e-motorcycles that either have no throttle at all, or have both throttle AND pedelec (pedal assist) I think one is called an erockit. Look at that thing and tell me it isn't a motorcycle. But no throttle. So, can we stop the throttle hate? Throttle isn't the devil. Power is the devil. Or can be the devil. I would like to se single track vehicle users be more communal instead of split off into camps with all the virtue signalling that goes on intra camp about what is great about being here vs 'with them'. Is that too much to ask?
Old 04-10-22, 09:05 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
We can have capable ebikes (or any other type of e-vehicles), just the will of the person to operate within safety for themselves & while others are present.
Just as we can have vaccines to prevent or even eradicate diseases;
but it is still dependent on each person's will whether the specific disease can be under control or eradicated.
Or solve the problem of global warming, climate change & carbon build-up on the planet;
just whether or not mankind has the will to reduce the dependency on oil or profit from oil production.
I think ultimately, mankind's demise rest with our will.
There are no shortage of solutions to mankind's problems.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 04-11-22, 04:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There are at least three e-motorcycles that either have no throttle at all, or have both throttle AND pedelec (pedal assist) I think one is called an erockit. Look at that thing and tell me it isn't a motorcycle. But no throttle. So, can we stop the throttle hate? Throttle isn't the devil. Power is the devil. Or can be the devil. I would like to se single track vehicle users be more communal instead of split off into camps with all the virtue signalling that goes on intra camp about what is great about being here vs 'with them'. Is that too much to ask?
I am pretty sure watching that video that the erockit has a throttle. It most certainly looks like a motorcycle.

A throttle is not a bad thing it just turns it into a moped or motorcycle. If I wanted a throttle I want some power behind it, though. Most of the mopeds marketed as bicycles are just so anemic not always a bad thing but for me not really that exciting. I would rather either pedal or have a throttle with some power behind things.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-11-22, 07:59 PM
Leisesturm

From the Wikipedia entry:

Technical details:

To move the eROCKIT, you have to pedal, as there is no throttle installed. The speed of the vehicle is exclusively controlled by the pedals.

Throttle is not the devil. Pedals connected to sufficient power can propel an e-vehicle to freeway speeds.
Old 04-12-22, 08:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am pretty sure watching that video that the erockit has a throttle. It most certainly looks like a motorcycle.

A throttle is not a bad thing it just turns it into a moped or motorcycle. If I wanted a throttle I want some power behind it, though. Most of the mopeds marketed as bicycles are just so anemic not always a bad thing but for me not really that exciting. I would rather either pedal or have a throttle with some power behind things.
I agree about the throttle up to a point. It seems to me that throttles that cut off at 20 mph are acceptable (and legally considered bikes in most states) since they're no more dangerous IMO to PAS 20 mph, plus may allow physically challenged individuals to "ride" bikes as well as allow individuals to get home if they break a chain, become injured or whatever. The problem with illegal mopeds or motorcycles is there's no policing in most areas.
Old 04-13-22, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
From the Wikipedia entry:

Technical details:

To move the eROCKIT, you have to pedal, as there is no throttle installed. The speed of the vehicle is exclusively controlled by the pedals.

Throttle is not the devil. Pedals connected to sufficient power can propel an e-vehicle to freeway speeds.
I did watch the video and they were certainly moving without pedaling in some of it. They don't really list much info on the bike so I gotta wonder if it is even real or just some vaporware type of crap.
Old 04-14-22, 07:34 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Some interesting data:

https://electrek.co/2022/04/13/ucla-...ost-dangerous/
Old 04-15-22, 08:33 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
The source of injuries should be an important consideration but that was not stated in the study.
Old 04-15-22, 09:29 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Agree, however extent of injuries often difficult to follow post incidents.
Even further the complexity, most people don't have the means to seek treatments during pandemic when hospitals are already packed with COVID related emergencies.
Old 04-17-22, 02:05 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Likes For cat0020:
Old 05-19-22, 08:07 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Ukraine is now using these 200-mile-range electric bikes with NLAW rockets to take out Russian tanks

https://electrek.co/2022/05/17/ukrai...lectric-bikes/

NO, that's not the battery pack in the rear.

Likes For cat0020:
Old 06-12-22, 05:29 PM
Blesstheride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow
Old 06-12-22, 05:57 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

3500w per wheel..
https://chinaplanets.com/Chinese-fl...00-w-electric-bike-on-which-you-can-only-sit/

https://alienrides.com/products/extr...ectric-scooter