Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 06:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
Thinking about it a little, I don't think people are being bamboozled. Instead, I think there's a synergy between the marketers' need to push new things and the public's insatiable desire for something new. What comes after this synergy is a list new "scientific," "objective" reasons why the new thing is "better." So what drives what? It seems to me that all the rationales for a new product are created afterward to justify our thirst for a new toy. And the marketers are happy to help come up with these rationales.

I don't want to argue with anyone's choice of products. I just think it's silly to invent objective reasons why, for example, electronic shifting is objectively better than downtube friction shifters. The reasons why one rider would choose the former are not important for another rider who chooses the latter.
Have you really not noticed how science and technology evolves and advances over time?

Scientists and engineers are employed to develop future products that are generally better than the present ones. Competition between manufacturers drives this constant need to improve. It's actually pretty rare for technology to regress, despite the odd hiccup along the way (PF BBs?)

Here is a TDF bike from the mid 1920s

1950s

1980s

Putting aside any personal vintage nostalgia, is it not blindingly obvious to you that these bikes keep improving as time marches forward? It's genuine evolution, not just marketing of any random "new" stuff. Had I not listed the dates above, it wouldn't be very difficult to put them in the correct chronological order.
Old 06-21-22, 06:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Have you really not noticed how science and technology evolves and advances over time?

Scientists and engineers are employed to develop future products that are generally better than the present ones. Competition between manufacturers drives this constant need to improve. It's actually pretty rare for technology to regress, despite the odd hiccup along the way (PF BBs?)

1950s

1980s

Putting aside any personal vintage nostalgia, is it not blindingly obvious to you that these bikes keep improving as time marches forward? It's genuine evolution, not just marketing of any random "new" stuff. Had I not listed the dates above, it wouldn't be very difficult to put them in the correct chronological order.
Thanks for the interesting post it is great to see it laid out like that. The interesting question would be which bike would you pick for your personal ride. I have actually owned a TI Raleigh as shown as well as 2010 7900 Dura Ace Tarmac and although I may have a nostalgic attachment my current S Works Roubaix is just an all around better bike.
Old 06-21-22, 06:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
If I had the choice to own an F4U1-D Corsair or an F/A-18, I know what I’d choose. Modern features not withstanding, I’d much rather run our 1941 steam locomotive than the diesel. Some of man’s inventions are timeless.
Old 06-21-22, 06:45 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Thanks for the interesting post it is great to see it laid out like that. The interesting question would be which bike would you pick for your personal ride. I have actually owned a TI Raleigh as shown as well as 2010 7900 Dura Ace Tarmac and although I may have a nostalgic attachment my current S Works Roubaix is just an all around better bike.
That TI Raleigh was the bike of my dreams as a kid in the 80s. I did very briefly think about buying one of the recent modern replicas, but I just couldn't imagine ever choosing to ride it over a modern bike. It would be literally an ornament for me at this point. It's the same with classic cars. I've owned plenty of them and got to a point where I just prefer driving modern cars. The difference in objective performance and reliability is now simply too big for me to enjoy the oldies like I used to.
Old 06-21-22, 07:20 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

1950s

1980s

Science can and does make changes in technology. But what science cannot do is create an objective value for these changes. Creating value is the domain of each individual human; value is subjective; what constitutes progress is subjective. There is no telling how a particular individual will experience these pictures; there is no telling what that individual wants in his cycling experience. The latest carbon fiber is not objectively better than a 1974 Schwinn Paramount.
Likes For bocobiking:
Old 06-21-22, 07:26 PM
smd4

The Mona Lisa was painted with obsolete paint, brushes, and techniques. Every aspect of oil painting is hyper-technically advanced today compared to when the Mona Lisa was painted. Far greater realism can be obtained today with computers.

Which is considered fine art, a cultural icon and priceless?

Last edited by smd4; 06-21-22 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 07:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The Mona Lisa was painted with obsolete paint, brushes, and techniques.
Far greater realism can be obtained today with computers.
a) Painting with brushes and oil is hardly obsolete.
b) Realism isn't always the goal of art, nor the criterion for greatness.
c) Priceless fine art icons often aren't recognized as such for decades or even centuries.
Old 06-21-22, 07:55 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rolla
a) Painting with brushes and oil is hardly obsolete.
b) Realism isn't always the goal of art, nor the criterion for greatness.
c) Priceless fine art icons often aren't recognized as such for decades or even centuries.
The composition of the oil paint and the construction of the brushes is FAR different today. The “technology” is different.
Old 06-21-22, 08:21 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
With all due respect, this is a very low bar you are setting here.
And I'm not at all ashamed to say that it's about as high of a bar as I can afford right about now. So there.
Old 06-21-22, 08:49 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
And I'm not at all ashamed to say that it's about as high of a bar as I can afford right about now. So there.
better than my 1976 Honda Civic wagon with its choke and AM radio.

Does cxwrench even know what a
choke is? Never mind. He can Google it and answer maybe intelligently.
Old 06-21-22, 09:01 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

better than my 1976 Honda Civic wagon with its choke and AM radio.

Does cxwrench even know what a
choke is? Never mind. He can Google it and answer maybe intelligently.
My 504 does have a manual choke, too. It had been disabled by the previous owner at some point using the old tie-the-flaps-open-with-a-piece-of-wire trick, but I've already taken care of that - albeit I never needed to use it thanks to the warm weather around where I live.
Old 06-21-22, 09:04 PM
Rolla

The composition of the oil paint and the construction of the brushes is FAR different today. The “technology” is different.

Is that why the Mona Lisa is a priceless cultural icon? Can't art made with other "technology" also achieve fine art status?
Old 06-21-22, 09:11 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Science can and does make changes in technology. But what science cannot do is create an objective value for these changes. Creating value is the domain of each individual human; value is subjective; what constitutes progress is subjective. There is no telling how a particular individual will experience these pictures; there is no telling what that individual wants in his cycling experience. The latest carbon fiber is not objectively better than a 1974 Schwinn Paramount.
The Mona Lisa was painted with obsolete paint, brushes, and techniques. Every aspect of oil painting is hyper-technically advanced today compared to when the Mona Lisa was painted. Far greater realism can be obtained today with computers.

If I had the choice to own an F4U1-D Corsair or an F/A-18, I know what I’d choose. Modern features not withstanding, I’d much rather run our 1941 steam locomotive than the diesel. Some of man’s inventions are timeless.
I am pretty sure our work is done here. By the time we are done with this thread the op’s greatest fears will have actually come true.
Old 06-21-22, 09:11 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rolla
Is that why the Mona Lisa is a priceless cultural icon? Can't art made with other "technology" also achieve fine art status?
Guess

we’ll see!! My money’s on the Mona Lisa.

I’m taking odds.
Old 06-21-22, 09:16 PM
Rolla

guess we’ll see!! My money’s on the Mona Lisa.
And I'd say we already have. There are entire museums of iconic art that was made with technology more recent than Da Vinci's. It's not the medium that determines greatness.
Old 06-21-22, 09:18 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I am pretty sure our work is done here. By the time we are done with this thread the op’s greatest fears will have actually come true.
I seriously doubt that - not when the likes of LDC, Bullseye, Bombshell, and Speedline (not to mention Paul) are still committed to making really nice (and very expensive) V-brakes and make them in America, and not when the Chinese are there to knock them off with decent quality at a fraction of the price.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 06-21-22 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
That's why I don't ride in the rain. My brakes work great.
Gee, how can you argue against that? Good for you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-21-22, 10:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
That's why I don't ride in the rain. My brakes work great.

Originally Posted by rsbob
Gee, how can you argue against that? Good for you.
It's pure genius. Just avoid riding in the conditions where it makes a difference.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-22-22, 03:53 AM
PeteHski

I'm trying my best to relate this analogy to rim vs disc brakes. Are you saying that despite being based on older technology, rim brakes are considered to be a priceless cultural icon? I don't even like the Mona Lisa. It's an ugly painting to my eye. Priceless only because it happened to be painted by da Vinci. If it was the work of an unknown artist it would be totally worthless. Bicycle brakes are not subjective art. They are there to perform a basic function and newer tech does that better than old tech. As I explained earlier, tech does not regress over time (at least not unless the empire that created it collapses and all past knowledge is lost).
Old 06-22-22, 04:17 AM
PeteHski

If that were true then bicycle (and any other technical product) development would be a lot more random than it actually is. Individuals of a certain age might well have a sentimental preference for products of a specific era, but the newer products are objectively better. From a nostalgic point of view I do "value" iconic bikes from the 1970s an 80s (TI Raleigh for example), but I'm not going to pretend their outdated tech is on a par with their modern equivalents. Some people seem to live in denial when it comes to technological progress.

Disc brakes in general simply function better than rim brakes and that's why rim brakes are becoming obsolete. It has nothing to do with "Big bike" marketing. It's just simple engineering evolution.
So what comes after disc brakes in this evolutionary process? Is there a known wheel braking mechanism inherently better than the hydraulic disc brake and caliper? Based on what we see in the automotive industry, I would say not at this point. Certainly not in mainstream production anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-22-22, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Of course most of their bikes are disc brakes - they big three have been marketing the hell out them for years. How do you get people to buy a new bicycle when they have a perfectly good one already? Convince them that something is "new and better". Marketing 101.
Big bike weren't really able to sell the disc brake road bike by itself. Nobody was really flocking to them when it was en vogue to be running 23 or 25mm tires. So they pivoted, and so began the notion that we were all really uncomfortable on our bikes, and we needed wider and cushier rides running fatter tires on wider rims. This of course making rim brakes a more difficult proposition. Oh.. and the gravel bike of course, because in our heads anyway we like the notion of riding over rock-strewn paths and roadways.

Anyway, here we are. Are disc brakes better? Yes. Are they worth the tradeoffs? Yes, no, maybe. I do think disc brakes and the TL tire wave has brought more $ to the industry -- not just the makers who at the very least had a windfall benefit of having a more visibly different product that could incentivize upgrading, but also the shops -- more maintenance that isn't as easily done at home.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-22-22, 06:46 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I disagree. It is “throwing around the term” because I have not seen anyone really describe what they mean by “superior modulation”. Is it easier to slow a little or slow a lot? .....
Yes. A comparison can be made to an audio volume control. Those are not linear potentiometers - they use what is called "audio taper". That means you have less gain at the low end, so when you turn your stereo on and start turning up the volume control, there will be less of an increase in actual volume per degree of rotation on the low end, and that proportion of change increases as you turn the volume up more. This gives you enough control to turn up the volume just a wee little bit, or increase it a lot or go to full volume, with better control. You can use a linear taper pot for a volume control but it makes it harder to have fine control over the volume. It goes from very soft to very loud with not much rotation of the volume control, so it's trickier. Yes you can still achieve the same results - "I turn the knob right, it gets louder, I turn it left, it gets softer - what's the problem?".

I did say modulation is more important for some than others. I run mostly cantilever brakes and I notice a big difference even between different makes/models, or even how I have them set up. That's one of the reasons I love cantis - because I can dial them in the way I like them. Minor changes to the straddle cable make a big difference in modulation - the ability to go from lightly feathering the brakes (just a light whisper of brake pads touching the rims) to full-on panic stop. The range between those two is what we're talking about - how wide is that range?

Also, we're not talking about lever travel - we're talking about force applied to the lever, the controlling force.
Old 06-22-22, 07:55 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
If that were true then bicycle (and any other technical product) development would be a lot more random than it actually is. Individuals of a certain age might well have a sentimental preference for products of a specific era, but the newer products are objectively better. From a nostalgic point of view I do "value" iconic bikes from the 1970s an 80s (TI Raleigh for example), but I'm not going to pretend their outdated tech is on a par with their modern equivalents. Some people seem to live in denial when it comes to technological progress.

Disc brakes in general simply function better than rim brakes and that's why rim brakes are becoming obsolete. It has nothing to do with "Big bike" marketing. It's just simple engineering evolution.
So what comes after disc brakes in this evolutionary process? Is there a known wheel braking mechanism inherently better than the hydraulic disc brake and caliper? Based on what we see in the automotive industry, I would say not at this point. Certainly not in mainstream production anyway.
Not to belabor the point (but I guess I am), but I think the worship of science as objective is misplaced. One of the most famous books on the theory of science by Thomas Kuhn is The Structure of Scientific Revolutons. Here's a description of his argument:
"the notion of scientific truth, at any given moment, cannot be established solely by objective criteria but is defined by a consensus of a scientific community. Competing paradigms are frequently incommensurable; that is, they are competing and irreconcilable accounts of reality. Thus, our comprehension of science can never rely wholly upon "objectivity" alone. Science must account for subjective perspectives as well, since all objective conclusions are ultimately founded upon the subjective conditioning/worldview of its researchers and participants."
So our idea of what is objectively valuable is occasioned by our, subjective, world view. I think I would argue that our world view includes the idea that change is progress, that complexity is better than simplicity, that world history is a linear road of everything getting better. These are subjective notions that seem like objective truth to those steeped in our world view.

In the world of cycling, the latest invention is the e-bike. Is that objective progress that everyone should now embrace, just like disc brakes? What if they invent a way to shift gears with a simple mental act with no physical movement; would that be objective progress with all previous gear-shifting mechanisms relegated to the category of nostalgia? To claim that the latest invention is objectively better seems like a rhetorical way to impose one's values on everyone else. To say that everyone else is motivated merely by nostalgia is patronizing.
Old 06-22-22, 08:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
To claim that the latest invention is objectively better seems like a rhetorical way to impose one's values on everyone else. To say that everyone else is motivated merely by nostalgia is patronizing.
Yeah, but saying something like, oh, I don't know, maybe "it seems to me that all the rationales for a new product are created afterward to justify our thirst for a new toy," isn't patronizing at all.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-22-22, 08:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
You probably own and use a few tin cans with strings and a rotary dial phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.