Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

grr, got enormous again

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 07:29 PM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
grr, got enormous again

I don't eat well enough, so I'm back up over 200. I'm in a high wind area of the SoCal desert, and I've been avoiding riding on windy days. Got on the scale this morning and was so discouraged that I just decided to go out in the wind. 2 hours before I looked, there were sustained winds at 47mph, and guests at 65mph. It was only between 15 and 20 when I went which normally I'd have used as an excuse to not go. Turned out that it really wasn't too windy. Then I got the experience of seeing a black smoke fire, like maybe a car fire? And my ride home was easy and fast down wind.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna ride on all my days off regardless of the wind, and just fight through it.
Likes For SeanBlader:
Old 06-13-22, 08:59 PM
DeadSlow

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
Good on you, I wish I could be that eager but once the wind gets over about 10-15kph here I'm not going anywhere. I'm heavier than 200lb but we really only get winds from two directions here and I can pretty much guarantee that I'll have a head wind on the up hill. I know I can withstand more than 15kph winds and have ridden in worse plenty of times but I choose not too because I'm old and I'm a snowflake
Likes For DeadSlow:
Old 06-16-22, 09:31 AM
CyFan
Cafe Racer

Bikes: 2015 Wilier Cento 1 SR UHC Team bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Nice strategy plus the wind just adds resistance for a better workout. Lol.
Old 06-17-22, 01:29 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
hang in there -
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-22-22, 04:18 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Have you considered a trainer for excessively windy days? My wind trainer gave up the ghost last winter, and I got a fluid trainer. Fluid is much better; I even found it to be fun. You can get a direct-drive trainer as low as $329.

I'm in an urban/suburban area, and I don't feel safe when the wind is predicted to be over 20 mph. Sustained winds of 47 mph may be OK as head or tail winds, but when that much power comes from the side? The last time I rode in over 20 winds, a gust hit me as I entered an intersection, and I was afraid it would knock me into the car that was passing me.
Old 06-27-22, 05:54 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Get a trainer and try one of the virtual riding software. There are several good ones out there. I use Zwift myself with a smart trainer. Not as good as riding outside but way better then a basic trainer. I can "ride" with friends across the world this way and it helps to keep me motivated. Since getting this set up I find that I ride 3 or 4 times during the week before work and then ride outside on the weekends. If bad weather on the weekend I can ride inside
Old 06-27-22, 07:35 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
I reach some of my best speeds when riding on windy days, which are most days on the coast. 20 MPH (32 KPH) are pretty much everyday unless I go out early in the AM. But like was mentioned earlier by Cyfan, wind resistance adds to the workout. Be careful out there and hit it hard.
Old 06-27-22, 08:33 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
You gotta ride. I rode a long way today in bad wind, and it was of course a head-wind on the way home after I was tired and out of water. It was great practice to get horizontal and I found I could still go fast and get where I was going by cheating the wind that way. I just got down to 200 pounds for the first time in maybe 25 years, I have never been really fat because I am tall, but I have weighed as much as 240 in the past and the only thing that has ever gotten me down to 200 or a little under is riding a bike a lot. I live where it gets down close to zero degrees F. in the winter and below freezing for a number of months with 100 - 200 inches of snow, so I have a trainer with a road bike on it and use it every other day when I can't ride outside, it helps a lot when the weather clears and you can go back outside. I don't think running is good for big people, it beats out their joints, their knees and hips so spinning on a cycle is the low-impact way to go 100%. Walking is great too, but it is hard to burn the calories you do cycling in an intense or hard ride or training session.
Likes For beng1:
Old 07-11-22, 08:23 PM
LethargicRush

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Must be hard riding against currents like that. I live in AZ so the only challenge i face here is not being able to ride out during the day or risk having skin and bones charred.