Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Would You Buy This Bianchi Sport for $50?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 07:10 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

So I see the dimple in the top tube and I realize I'll have to watch it but if it is otherwise as advertised I was going to get it. I figure the parts are worth at least $50 right?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/570800877577491/
Old 10-28-21, 07:20 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a heck of a dimple. The parts are nothing to write home about even at $50. If you really need them for a project, this can be OK if the parts check out.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-28-21, 07:26 AM
RoadWearier

I agree. I'm on the fence. I wonder how frequently people have had steel frames just suddenly collapse or have bike wrecks from this. I think I'm going to go for it. Maybe I can get 4-500 miles out if it before it happens.
Old 10-28-21, 07:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
If you want a cruiser on a budget, sure, its worth $50. This would be a case where im not sure its worth the time to part it out for sale , but spending a few hours on washing out the brown crystallized grease from the bearing surfaces and freshening them up, plus giving the beast a thorough cleaning would yield big dividends for a rider - budget a bit for tires and bar wrap and you may still get out the door with a capable cruiser for $100 or so
Old 10-28-21, 07:54 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by DMC707
If you want a cruiser on a budget, sure, its worth $50. This would be a case where im not sure its worth the time to part it out for sale , but spending a few hours on washing out the brown crystallized grease from the bearing surfaces and freshening them up, plus giving the beast a thorough cleaning would yield big dividends for a rider - budget a bit for tires and bar wrap and you may still get out the door with a capable cruiser for $100 or so
Makes sense. I occasionally ride with some older folks...11-12 mph pace, 30 miles or so. I'm wondering if I could use this for that? Tires are actually new but I agree it could use some sprucing up.

I'm riding with gloves tomorrow so I wonder if I can hold off on the tape for now
​​What's a good tape? Does it come with adhesive on it or do I need glue?
Old 10-28-21, 08:38 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Makes sense. I occasionally ride with some older folks...11-12 mph pace, 30 miles or so. I'm wondering if I could use this for that? Tires are actually new but I agree it could use some sprucing up.

I'm riding with gloves tomorrow so I wonder if I can hold off on the tape for now
​​What's a good tape? Does it come with adhesive on it or do I need glue?
Thats what it was made for , cruising at a moderate pace that is. It looks like a size that is most appropriate if you are between 5'10 and 6'1 . Bar tape doesnt really need adhesive, although a lot of the foam or cork stuff has a thin adhesive strip on the back

Even with gloves, those metal bars would likely be pretty slick by themselves, i personally wouldnt ride it much without some sort of wrap, --- but im sure its been done before
Old 10-28-21, 09:36 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I think it's worth more than the asking price and should make a nice rider. While cosmetically bad I would worry about the frame failing it is very rare for even badly damaged quality lugged steel frames to fail suddenly. If it has good new tires there basically worth the asking price right now so I would say it is a good buy at this price.
Old 10-28-21, 09:37 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
To me, it looks like the top tube dent also bowed the tube. if so, then the frame alignment will be off. Rideable, but off.
Old 10-28-21, 09:46 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Buy it...

Its steel, that dimple is no big deal and frame alignment can be fixed. And speaking as a guy who has empty parts bin's this bike could be a filler. Those stem shifters are worth half the cost of the bike. I straitened out a top tube dent almost like this one. A friends ladder fell on it. It was not hard. We took some C clamps and 2x4s and levered it straight hopping the frame would maintain its alignments and it did. Then it was just a matter of light bondo and spray paint.

Last edited by zandoval; 10-28-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-21, 09:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Next time, could you edit out the black bars from your cellphone picture? That would save us some scrolling and let you post a bigger shot of the bike itself.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-21, 10:12 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
If the damage does not bother you and it rides ok then buy it and enjoy it......as others have said the frame will not explode suddenly.....it will take a lot to cause a metal frame to collapse?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-28-21, 10:35 AM
RoadWearier

Thanks guys. I have a new phone and for some reason I can't crop the pictures.
Old 10-28-21, 10:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
My answer is "no". that 50 bucks might the 50 bucks it takes to close a deal on a bike that isn't in such poor condition. But that's me, I'd rather buy "condtion" than create it with money and labor after the aquistion.
Old 10-28-21, 11:07 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by nomadmax
My answer is "no". that 50 bucks might the 50 bucks it takes to close a deal on a bike that isn't in such poor condition. But that's me, I'd rather buy "condtion" than create it with money and labor after the aquistion.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "poor condition?". I'm not arguing I'm just trying to learn to see what an experienced person sees. It's dirty and the handlebars need tape, and the dent. But what else?
Old 10-28-21, 11:42 AM
nomadmax 

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "poor condition?". I'm not arguing I'm just trying to learn to see what an experienced person sees. It's dirty and the handlebars need tape, and the dent. But what else?
Based on the overall condition I see in the photo that would lead me to believe:

Probably needs tires and tubes. Dry rot or tread wear is an automatic replacement item for me. Dentist bills are high these days and front flats at speed can possibly send you to one.

It needs brake hoods. Not just a comfort item, they're a safety item as the hoods are a postion I ride in a lot.

It needs handlebar tape.

It could need:
Tubes
Rim tape
A chain
Freewheel
Every bearing to be cleaned and re-lubed . Hubs, BB, headset and RD pulleys.
Brake pads
If the rims are shedding aluminum, it'll need a wheel re-build(s)
For me, the saddle would have to go

and...........it has a good dent in the top tube. That 50 buck bike can wind up costing 150 bucks (or more) and it'll still be a low end bike with stem shifters and a damaged frame. I presume you live in the United States where people buy things with the best of intentions, then quit and hang them in the garage when they find out there's some actual work involved with making the thing go down the road. There's just too many used bikes for sale that are better in every way to settle on this one.

All of that said, you seem set on the bike. Buy it and learn all this the way I did many decades ago. Educations cost money because they're mostly worth it.
Old 10-28-21, 02:28 PM
RoadWearier

Based on the overall condition I see in the photo that would lead me to believe:

Probably needs tires and tubes. Dry rot or tread wear is an automatic replacement item for me. Dentist bills are high these days and front flats at speed can possibly send you to one.

It needs brake hoods. Not just a comfort item, they're a safety item as the hoods are a postion I ride in a lot.

It needs handlebar tape.

It could need:
Tubes
Rim tape
A chain
Freewheel
Brake pads

and...........it has a good dent in the top tube. That 50 buck bike can wind up costing 150 bucks (or more) and it'll still be a low end bike with stem shifters and a damaged frame. I presume you live in the United States where people buy things with the best of intentions, then quit and hang them in the garage when they find out there's some actual work involved with making the thing go down the road. There's just too many used bikes for sale that are better in every way to settle on this one.

All of that said, you seem set on the bike. Buy it and learn all this the way I did many decades ago. Educations cost money because they're mostly worth it.

You actually seemed like you had some good points until the bigoted, xenophobic America-bashing started.

​​​​
Old 10-28-21, 02:34 PM
nomadmax 

You actually seemed like you had some good points until the bigoted, xenophobic America-bashing started.

​​​​
That's not bashing, that's the truth. Have you ever served this country (the USA)? I have and paid a high price to do so. So spare me the name calling, that told me everything I needed to know about you.

Good luck with your 50 buck bike.

Last edited by nomadmax; 10-28-21 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-28-21, 02:44 PM
RoadWearier

That's not bashing, that's the truth. Have you ever served this country (the USA)? I have and paid a high price to do so. So spare me the name calling, that told everything I needed to know about you.

Good luck with your 50 buck bike.
Yes I have. For 20 years as a first responder. Thank you for your service. You are welcome for mine. Calling all Americans lazy is stupid and ignorant. I don't care where you are from or what you did. It is. You seem like a really bitter angry person. Maybe you should go for a bike ride.
​​​​
Old 10-28-21, 02:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Folks are pulling your leg, that's way more than a "dimple." Use your $50 for the bar tape and handlebar you need for the other bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-28-21, 03:33 PM
DMC707

It needs handlebar tape.

It could need:
Tubes
Rim tape
A chain
Freewheel
Brake pads

Very good points
Likes For DMC707:
Old 10-28-21, 03:51 PM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
. . . people buy things with the best of intentions, then quit and hang them in the garage when they find out there's some actual work involved with making the thing go down the road. . . .
Note "people buy"; not "everyone buys" or even "most people buy". It means "a significant number of people buy": I'd be amazed if this weren't true of every affluent nation, and don't see why the US should be an exception. No bigotry, xenophobia, or bashing is involved.

I'd consider buying this bike. It's uglier than the bike I use as my city runabout (and is even less likely to appeal to thieves), it looks rather more comfortable, and its gearing makes it palatable for city use. (Of course, your city's topography may be very different from mine.) If it turned out to demand too much work (seized seatpost, etc), then legally disposing of it would add a lot to its price, but I'd take the risk.

Last edited by microcord; 10-28-21 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For microcord:
Old 10-28-21, 04:11 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Let’s calm down some. No one is making bigoted, xenophobic, or American bashing posts. The posts are just giving honest feedback on a potential bike purchase. The nice thing about forums lik this is feedback can be taken or ignored.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 10-28-21, 05:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

​​​​
That's seriously over the top. This is a pretty easy going forum. If you find a remark you don't like, just move on. So I'll tell you something about America you might not like. We should all spend less time getting offended by other people's statements and spend more time riding bikes, hanging out with family, or whatever the heck makes you happy. We have too many snowflakes in the US of A.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-28-21 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-28-21, 05:18 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Geez I cant get a pizza and a 6 of beer for 50 buy it.
Likes For cromagnum:
Old 10-28-21, 05:35 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Besides if they ask 50 I offer 25 and if they say 40 its 30 and a handshake. This way I have more money in the pocket and with a little elbow grease and patient manipulation that dimple dent or whatever we call it can be straightened out. Part of being part of this community is the comraderies gained in a project because everyone will chip in with helpful suggestions and encouragement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.