Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling time 🕑

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 10:48 PM
Singlespeed420
Why are you reading this

Bikes: 2020 Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling time 🕑

When do you guys usually cycle? I love to ride evening to night the most. Its calm and exciting. Like I'm at a night club but my family is always worried about it. They tell me I'm weird for riding at night lol.
Likes For Singlespeed420:
Old 11-19-21, 11:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
First off - I don’t know you well enough to deem you weird, so will leave that alone.

I understand the excitement and calm aspect, but the danger from vehicles - I am assuming you are riding on the streets - not gravel or mountain biking - grows exponentially during dusk and night, so I share your family’s worry. If you are off the streets and on trails, I just hope you have excellent lighting to illuminate obstacles and always carry a phone.

I used to commute in the dark on MUPs and streets, and always felt ill at ease in the dark - probably overblown on my part.

Old 11-19-21, 11:50 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I also like riding in the evening and come home after dark. I combine my photography hobby with cycling and enjoy taking pictures from just moonlight lighting. Not while I am riding though, haha. I ride over to Napa River or by the Carquinez Straights in our area, set up my camera on a tripod and take timed exposures. Something about the moonlight that is so fascinating. BTW, my family thinks I am weird also.
Old 11-20-21, 12:35 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
For some reason, cycling in the fog, a light rain, or early evening are all hypnotically zen to me. Still, they are decidedly more dangerous, so I only ride in those conditions when I have to—mostly because I planned my ride badly, haha.
Old 11-20-21, 02:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I'm an early riser and I usually start at 0500-0530 before sunrise and ride for 1.5-2 hours. No traffic and the wind doesn't pick up until late morning and I like riding in the dark.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 11-20-21, 05:03 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
On weekdays almost exclusively at night because it is when I am free to ride. Sundays or holidays I do a long ride during the day if at all possible.

I find safety better at night (not dusk, though) because you can see light reflections on the ground and there are less pedastrians, traffic and random stuff going on the roads. My typical easy ride loop is about 40km total of mostly flat road to a neighbouring town and back which is s sort of main road, and for hard rides I go on local roads with climbs which see minimal traffic at night.

Typical time I set out at is about 8:30-9:00 PM. People get used to the weird 😉

​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 11-20-21 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-20-21, 05:12 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I like to start my rides very early in the morning between 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-20-21, 06:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Before I retired, my work shifts started at 5:30AM, which meant leaving the house by 4:30AM to have time to ride to work, change into work clothes, etc. It's a nice, quiet time of day to ride. Little traffic, interesting wildlife, nice sunrises. Now that I'm retired, I'm not eager to get up that early anymore. Besides, it's warmer later in the day.
Old 11-20-21, 06:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlespeed420
When do you guys usually cycle? I love to ride evening to night the most. Its calm and exciting. Like I'm at a night club but my family is always worried about it. They tell me I'm weird for riding at night lol.
I get it. nite riding can be magical. used to have a cat that only liked going out when it was dark out. once the sun came up he came in
Old 11-20-21, 07:03 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like to ride early in the morning. In colder temps, I do find myself now waiting until later, as I am doing at present time, Something I did not do much this year, but, starting my day off with a quick ride to the Bethany Beach boardwalk for sunrise is always a worthwhile endeavor. Once in a while, I will send a picture to my sisters to start their day with some beach vibes. They all live in the Midwest and love it here in coastal Delaware.
Old 11-20-21, 07:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm an early riser and I usually start at 0500-0530 before sunrise and ride for 1.5-2 hours. No traffic and the wind doesn't pick up until late morning and I like riding in the dark.
Well, you picked the wrong user name, didn't ya?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-20-21, 08:05 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I prefer riding during daylight hours, afternoon. But I (and my family) don’t think riding at night is weird (Edited to clarify that I do it, and my family doesn’t consider it out of the ordinary ‘for me.’ None of them ride, and generally think most of the stuff I do is weird. But they aren’t dumbfounded by me riding at night.). I ride at night frequently…especially in the wintertime since daylight is so short (if the roads are dry and free of ice). I’ve been known to roll out of the driveway at 10:00pm. I’ll go for 15-30 miles on the side roads and side streets. I have good lights, and reflective gear, and can easily be seen. I’ve got routes on which I may only encounter a handful of cars at night.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-20-21 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-20-21, 10:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I bike commuted for 28 years, which meant every winter I would ride home in the dark. I started out with very modest lighting and ended up with lighting and visibility strategies that made me very visible.

Even with all the lighting, on dark side streets and other unlit portions, I got the same fun, exciting feelling I did as a kid, reading under the blankets with a flashlight.

Here's a couple of night ride videos from my perspective. The camera makes thigs look darker than they are.

Here's one riding in before dawn:

I'm not some kid; I'll be 60 in January, so these videos are from my mid to late 50s.

If you like riding at night, great...just be visible, use a mirror or mirrors and I use an AirZound airhorn in traffic.

Old 11-20-21, 11:09 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
When I commuted during the winter months in the dark on the MUPs I really enjoyed the solitude. I could ride 15 miles on a MUP and see maybe a dozen other commuters. Most learned to cover their headlights to not blind oncoming bikes. But anyway, when Spring sprung, I was always a little bit resentful of all the daylight cyclists then starting to crowd the trail. I enjoyed the solitude and the quiet. Where I live now, there are gravel MUPS going through the forests but there are also cougar, bear (but should be entering their sleepy faze) bobcats and packs of coyotes, so am not inclined to go out by myself. Always trade-offs.

Old 11-20-21, 01:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
11:00a till almost dark is my preferred time period to go cycling.
Old 11-20-21, 03:50 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I ride when I get the time. Night, day makes no difference.

Last edited by JayKay3000; 11-20-21 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-21-21, 06:45 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I have a pre-sunup route I ride regularly with good lighting and very little traffic. I love riding at sunrise. Of course sunsets are pretty good too!
Old 11-21-21, 08:48 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
As far a group rides, mornings on weekends but our small group of year-round weekday riders ride at 5:30 since several are working daytime hours. Once DST ends we're starting & ending in darkness but we always feel like we're actually safer as far as being seen by motorists because we're all lit up with both front & back bright lighting; however we know we're taking a risk from deer, possum, racoons and other animals that might come out from the side of the road. We're on country roads not heavily traveled.

When I pull I'm in the middle of the lane to give a little more room to react, not everyone does this like I wish they would, when I'm drafting I still stay to the left to the point I'm often not even getting the full draft, but we're riding at probably 80% of what we would do in sunlight. We're not riding everyday, usually 1 w/e and 2 or 3 weeknight ride depending on everyone's schedule.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 11-21-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-21-21, 12:51 PM
Ride for Pizza

Bikes: 2007 LeMond Chambery (deceased)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
I ride when I get the time. Night, day makes no difference.
Unfortunately, same. It's been so many years since I had enough free time that something else wasn't dictating my ride time.

I think evening was my preferred though. Then get home, have dinner and relax after a nice hard ride. Don't need to do much with tired legs.
Old 11-21-21, 10:26 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
I, too, will ride whenever I get the chance, time of day isn't a big issue for me. That being said, in a perfect world, I'd start work later and always have time in the mornings for my runs and rides, long as it isn't freezing or the fog isn't too thick, the latter of which delays me in the mornings more than anything else.
Old 11-22-21, 07:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The lockdown and telework orders have changed my riding habits. Now, our typical riding hours are between 4:00 and 5:00 pm, unless impending weather forces some adaptation.

Prior to becoming a full time bike commuter, I also enjoyed an evening/night ride after a long work day and long car commute home.

Once bike commuting, my rides were in the dark or early light, which I liked tremendously, Afternoon rides home were usually before darkness..
Old 11-22-21, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Favorite time to ride? When I have time to ride. Bonus points if it's in a comfortable temperature (mid-day in winter, early or late in summer).

When I was commuting, and hopefully, when I am in the future, I disliked pre-dawn rides but enjoyed riding after dark. I have enough lights and reflectors, and a couple of pretty decent commuting routes, that I rarely had problems with cagers. I can really only remember one in 15 years, who shouldn't have been driving anyway. Daytime buzzes and catcalls were more frequent.
Old 11-22-21, 09:00 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I'm surprised by the number of folks stating evening into dark rides. This is when I ride, I leave an hour prior to sunset and ride from 40 to 100 miles. I have to ride then though, as I have zero tolerance for direct sunlight due to a medical condition. I never, ever see any other roadies out there.
Old 11-22-21, 09:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
If want to ride at all...Work forces me to ride in the evening in the dark during fall/winter/spring. I'm usually done working around 5pm.

Ride during the day on weekends
Old 11-22-21, 10:20 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I like a good ride after getting home from work. That mostly ends with the time change in November but I might still do a short ride anyway in the dark. Tonight for example; yesterday's crazy high winds are gone so it might be quite pleasant tonight. Other than that, it'll be weekends only until Spring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.