Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Salsa Journeyer 2022

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Salsa Journeyer 2022

Old 04-21-22, 11:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Salsa Journeyer 2022

My favorite bike brand Salsa is out with a new version of its entry level gravel bike.
https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/road/Journeyer

Renamed Journeyer instead of Journeyman. Builds are $1000 to $2800, with the bottom being pretty much like the prior model's bottom, and the top a reincarnated Warbird Alloy. I have a Stormchaser which is a more versatile-drivetrain, more tire-clearance version of this, and it's a fantastic bike. The Journeyer keeps things a little more road-gravel standard, and less complex. Of course they launched it with all the usual gravel blabla, but Jo owners know it's a fantastic commuter, easy seating and handling, a good no-fuss build, mounts for conventional racks and fenders, 3-pack on the fork with the bottom hole doubling low rider duty, lots of 3-pack water bottle bosses and extra ones for accessories... yet not a heavy old steel freighter.

Apex 1 build

The flat bar versions, as before, have a much longer frame and shorter top tube. The flat bar builds top out at a cheaper level, at $1200, compared to the drop bar versions that go up to $2800 with full GRX 810. The flat bar Deore build is nearly the bike I'd have bought if it were available in the off season 2019-20... 1x10 Deore and hydro brakes. I looked for a Sora flat bar at the time, which had the carbon fork, but they were sold out, and had 2x front and cable brakes that I'd have wanted to replace for $$$ anyhow.

Flat bar Deore

The drop bar version is available as a frame set and comes with a Waxwing (Warbird) fork.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-21-22 at 11:57 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-22-22, 07:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
The older I get, the better the better those lowered top tubes look. After spending a year with a w-i-d-e-l-y s-p-a-c-e-d 7 speed folder, I think I could be perfectly happy with a 1x with a big spread and 8 or 9 gears. Also with a 1x a disk or fairing could be added to keep the chain off a pant leg.

And with enough eyelets for fenders and a rack, I would definitely consider this bike (and others similar to it) if I am ever fortunate enough to once again have an in-office job to commute to.
Old 04-22-22, 11:30 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Stormchaser frame vs Journeyer frame...

Stormchaser has Alternator FM sliding thru axle dropouts with option for derailleur hanger or not. The derailleur version uses other standard Salsa hangers from their non-Alternator bikes. I guess in theory it could use different sliding dropouts for different derailleurs and brakes but none are available, at least not yet. The frameset includes both dropouts. Journeyer has FM brake mount on chain stay, with SRAM's new UDH derailleur hanger and thru axle nut.

Stormchaser has shaped chainstays and seat stays for compliance, Journeyer's are less so. Added on edit: Journeyer bumf says it has a new tube set, probably less expensive. They also look like oval cross sections, while the Stormy gets some cool hydro formed cross sections that may or not have an engineering purpose

Journeyer has ordinary fender mounts on the bridges, Stormchaser has no bridges and a weird fender boss on the back of the seat tube

Stormchaser has a 73mm English bottom bracket shell and runs only single ring cranks on Boost chain line (though still 142 spaced rear) which is pretty weird for a road bike. Journeyer is road-standard 68mm shell and can handle a normal sized gravel double on normal chain line

Stormchaser fork is a tiny bit wider and longer with some armor around the tire

Accessory and bottle mounts on the main triangle and fork are about the same. Journeyer has double internal routing intakes on the right, I guess it could take a FD and dropper at the same time?

Both bikes have the gaps in the welds under the bottom bracket to aid with cable and hose routing.

Both will take up to a 700c x 50mm tire.

Journeyer is listed 12 oz lighter, probably on the strength of the fixed dropouts and slightly lighter duty fork

Currently $800 vs $1300, it seems like you are getting most of the important stuff for a lot less $$$ unless you really want the specific things about the stormy
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-24-22 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-03-22, 06:57 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I have 2018 Journeyman 650b It has been a great commuter/ do it all bike. I have it set up with fenders and rack. I have wondered about putting the MTB tires back on it and taking the rack/ fenders off. It would be fun to play bikes on!