Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mini Pump Decision

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mini Pump Decision

Old 05-30-22, 03:44 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Mini Pump Decision

I want to buy a new Mini Pump. I will retire my Silca frame pump for two reasons. I want a pump with a hose, and I don't want to pay $19 with shipping for a difficult to find pump head gasket that will fit my Campy head.
I have narrowed my choice to two pumps. The Lezyne Road Drive and the Silca Tattico.
I like the Lezyne pump for the following reasons.
It comes in chrome color.
It's a little longer measuring 11 inches.
The mount is aluminum.
What I don't like is the fact that the screw on head often unscrews the valve cores.
What I like about the Silca Tattico is that the head won't remove my valve cores.
I should add that this pump will be used on a road bike with700 X 25 tires.
I would appreciate input from those that have used these pumps.
Old 05-30-22, 05:46 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I have the Lezyne Road Drive, and I like it a lot. If you can comfortably carry the large size that you mention, the extra volume is nice.

When I install a new tube, or add it to the pack I carry on the bike, I check to see that the valve core is tight.

When I use the pump, I don't screw the head onto the valve stem super-tightly (not necessary), and I use the bleed valve to relieve the pressure in the line before removing the head from the valve stem.

So far, I have had no problems with accidentally unscrewing valve cores.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 05-30-22, 05:55 AM
John Valuk

As a side note, I would add that the Lezyne Road Drive is Presta only. That's fine for my bike, but I also carry in my kit one of the Schrader to Presta adapters that are sold by Cantitoe Road. That allows me to provide a roadside assist to someone who's running Schrader valves.
Old 05-30-22, 06:08 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by John Valuk
As a side note, I would add that the Lezyne Road Drive is Presta only. That's fine for my bike, but I also carry in my kit one of the Schrader to Presta adapters that are sold by Cantitoe Road. That allows me to provide a roadside assist to someone who's running Schrader valves.
Thanks, I only use presta valves.
Old 05-30-22, 06:22 AM
John Valuk

I gotta say, the Lezyne Road Drive feels like quality stuff to me.

My only concern was the unscrewing-the-valve-core-thing that I had read about, but in practice, that hasn't yet been a problem for me.
Old 05-30-22, 06:36 AM
daniell

I have the Lezyne floor pump. It is the older one in which the air cannot be bled. On occasion, the valve core does come off when I unscrew the head. Being that I am home, it is not too concerning.
Old 05-30-22, 06:58 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I put a dot of low strength threadlocker on my removable valve stems. I also bought a second Lezyne pump for the in line gauge. If I did it again I’d get the Silca with the digital gauge.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-14-23 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 09:05 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
I'll second (or 3rd, or 4th...?) a thumbs up on the Lezyne Road Drive. I haven't had any problems with it unscrewing the cores. If you have the space for it, get the largest one- I've got the medium, and it's fine, but the extra volume of the large would make pumping up easier. Also a shout-out to the Lezyne Mini Floor drive which I've got on my touring bike- slightly fussier to use (getting the head screwed on and off the base of the pump...), not as sleek as the Road Drive, but you can get it with a built in pressure gauge and being able to leverage against the ground/hold it with your foot makes pumping up pretty easy. And it has a reversible presta/schrader head.
Old 05-30-22, 09:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Another vote for the Lezyne.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-30-22, 09:34 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I want to buy a new Mini Pump. I will retire my Silca frame pump for two reasons. I want a pump with a hose, and I don't want to pay $19 with shipping for a difficult to find pump head gasket that will fit my Campy head.
I have narrowed my choice to two pumps. The Lezyne Road Drive and the Silca Tattico.
I like the Lezyne pump for the following reasons.
It comes in chrome color.
It's a little longer measuring 11 inches.
The mount is aluminum.
What I don't like is the fact that the screw on head often unscrews the valve cores.
What I like about the Silca Tattico is that the head won't remove my valve cores.
I should add that this pump will be used on a road bike with700 X 25 tires.
I would appreciate input from those that have used these pumps.
Like the others, I vote for the Lezyne Road Drive. The only issue I have had with mine is that I neglected to grease the threads on the hose where it screws into the pump body. I discovered the threads were frozen when trying to help somebody else, but if I had been alone and needed a pump, I would have been screwed. I was able to unscrew the hose with the help of pliers and greased the threads. Do that once a year from now on!
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-30-22, 09:37 AM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
not as sleek as the Road Drive, but you can get it with a built in pressure gauge and being able to leverage against the ground/hold it with your foot makes pumping up pretty easy. And it has a reversible presta/schrader head.
I have both the Road Drive (large size) and the Micro Floor Drive HP. For my everyday riding, the Road Drive gets the nod because it fits "just right" with the way I currently have things arranged in my frame pack. I've added a couple of Velcro loops in the upper part of the pack, so the pump stays up out of the way of everything else.

I've given some thought to going with frame mounting, and having the extra niceness of the Micro Floor Drive. I'm only running 55 psi, though, and it's not too hard to get there with the Road Drive.
Old 05-30-22, 10:04 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
I also vote for the Lezyne, I've owned my Road Drive for about 9 years and it's still working great. One word of advice on the Lezyne, make sure you get the longest one of the model you chose, the longer ones are easier to pump with, and they're not stupidly long either, nor weigh that much more than the shortest one.

I think the Silca Tattico is overpriced and heavy at 165 grams vs 110 for the large Road Drive. Since the Road Drive is about an inch and a half longer, it would, or should be easier to pump up to higher pressures than the Silca. And really, who needs bluetooth on a pump? LMAO!

Another mini pump that is liked by a lot of people is the Topeak Race Rocket HP, I own this pump as well. My opinion is that the Lezyne takes a bit less effort and strokes to fill my 25c tires than the Topeak does, it takes about 60 strokes more to get to 80 than the Lezyne does. So, for all around effort the Lezyne wins. Having said all of that, the Topeak is not a bad pump, in fact it's one of the better ones that I would rank 2nd behind the Lezyne. The problem with most mini pumps is that they simply cannot get up to their rated psi, and most would be lucky to get to 75psi without some sort of herculean effort! I sent back over a dozen mini pumps because they all failed to get past 75 psi. I once saw a test of 40 or 45 or so mini pumps, and the Lezyne road drive took the least number of strokes of all of them by a minimum of 50 strokes from the next best one!

I doubt there are more than a half a dozen pumps that can get to 90 or more psi, while some will scream they don't use more than 80psi you have to keep something in mind, those pumps that can't make to 90 makes them real difficult if not impossible to get to 80! And you want to avoid struggling to get air into a tire while out on the road. So Lezyne, in my opinion, and others here, as well as a test I saw, is the absolute best mini pump to have.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-30-22, 10:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I haven’t used the Tattico, which looks like a stick grenade or something, but I do have a few Lezyne Road Drives in service and find them to be very good pumps, largely in that they reach road pressures easily, and I only use the Medium size ones. I’ve not had problems with unscrewing valve cores, maybe because my cores are snug, or maybe it’s to do with the way I thread and unthread the hose…dunno. Anyway, I like the look of the Lezyne Road Drives better than the Tattico, and honestly, for as infrequently as I need to use the minipump, looks are like 50% of the value in owning one!
Old 05-30-22, 11:25 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
we have three mini/micro pumps - all work fairly well:

Topeak Microrocket AL (162 mm L / 65 g)
Lezyne Pocket Drive (149 mm L / 75g)
Birzman Mini Apogee (137 mm L / 78g)

Decades ago when I did a lot of road riding I used CO2 cartridges and not positive but I believe I used a Zefal Quick Fill or something like that

Last edited by t2p; 05-30-22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 11:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I'd go Lezy if I didn't already have the Mini Morph Pump [with slightly hard to read Gauge] .
I can get to 80 psi with the MM, & I'd expect the lezy to get there with less effort. # HighPSIproblems
Old 05-30-22, 11:50 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I have a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive (142mm, 80g) that is currently my 'to go' minipump. I also carry a Lezyne CO2 with 1 cartridge.
A have a Berbeiri Carbon One (142mm, 55g) on the 2nd road bike.

I've been thinking of getting the Berbeiri 'NANA Ultralight' which is claimed to be 25g and 139mm has anyone tried this version?
Old 05-30-22, 03:54 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
I'm surprised there aren't more votes for the Tattico. It's a fantastic micro-pump and the quality is outstanding. It's particularly effective at high pressure too. The seals don't get hot like most normal pumps, so the effort required to keep pumping is far more consistent. It's almost as good as a full-sized frame pump.

Good round-up by Cycling Tips here:-

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/the-...ike-45-tested/

Tattico came out tops for high pressure road use, but I wouldn't bother with the BT version reviewed above. It's expensive and buggy. I returned mine for the standard one and just use a pocket digital pressure gauge.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-30-22 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 06:38 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have no experience with the Silca, but my Lezyne mini has been reliable for several years now. I always carry a valve core tool and give the core threads a tweak before and after using the thread-on hose. No issues.
Old 05-30-22, 06:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I have the Lezyne pump, but no longer use it. I now own two Tatticos and one of them goes on every ride.

The Lezyne is lighter, but feels like a cheap toy in comparison to the Tattico.

One thing to note, though, is that Lezyne makes a wider variety of pumps...One of their pumps that is designed for high pressure road tires will get your 700-25 tires filled up with fewer strokes.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-30-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 07:26 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Some of the Lezyne pumps used to come with a reversible hose, so you could have push-on or screw-on. Not sure if the one you're looking at does? Might be worth investigating. I've always preferred the push-on for the same reason.

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I have a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive (142mm, 80g) that is currently my 'to go' minipump.
I've got one of these also. A great little pump (on the very few occasions I've needed to use it).
Old 05-31-22, 12:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
As a side note, I would add that the Lezyne Road Drive is Presta only.
Maybe they changed the design? My Road Drive (bought late last year) has presta and schrader. It gets a little hard for me to pump at about 90-100 psi, but that's about as high as I run anyway.
Old 05-31-22, 12:58 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Maybe they changed the design? My Road Drive (bought late last year) has presta and schrader. It gets a little hard for me to pump at about 90-100 psi, but that's about as high as I run anyway.
My brain tells me that I read one time on the Lezyne web site that the Road Drive was Presta only. Checking there now, though, it states, "It comes with a Presta- and Shrader-compatible ABS Flex Hose with an integrated valve core tool. Slip fit hose available separately."

So, thank you for that information!

I'll have to check to see exactly what hoses were supplied with my two Road Drive pumps. I've only used the thread-on Presta connection.

Edited to add:

OK, I checked, and both of my Road Drive pumps are equipped with hoses that have thread-on Presta on one end, and "slip fit" Presta on the other end.

I guess at some point Lezyne changed which style of hose came standard with the pump, and which was only available as a separate purchase.

Last edited by John Valuk; 05-31-22 at 07:15 PM. Reason: additional information
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 05-31-22, 09:18 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I have the Lezyne pump, but no longer use it. I now own two Tatticos and one of them goes on every ride.

The Lezyne is lighter, but feels like a cheap toy in comparison to the Tattico.

One thing to note, though, is that Lezyne makes a wider variety of pumps...One of their pumps that is designed for high pressure road tires will get your 700-25 tires filled up with fewer strokes.
And yet, the Lezyne uses less strokes and less effort to put in the same amount of air as the Tattico does. The Tattico takes 193 strokes to get to 80 psi while taking more physical strength, while the Lezyne Road Drive long takes just 117 with a lot less effort. I think I would much prefer using 76 less strokes and less effort over using a 33 gram heavier "solid" feeling pump.
Old 06-01-22, 04:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
And yet, the Lezyne uses less strokes and less effort to put in the same amount of air as the Tattico does. The Tattico takes 193 strokes to get to 80 psi while taking more physical strength, while the Lezyne Road Drive long takes just 117 with a lot less effort. I think I would much prefer using 76 less strokes and less effort over using a 33 gram heavier "solid" feeling pump.
differential strokes for different folks.
Old 06-01-22, 04:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
And yet, the Lezyne uses less strokes and less effort to put in the same amount of air as the Tattico does. The Tattico takes 193 strokes to get to 80 psi while taking more physical strength, while the Lezyne Road Drive long takes just 117 with a lot less effort..
Did you completely miss this part of the post to which you are responding?

Originally Posted by Koyote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.