Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Time ADHX gravel/cx bike

Old 06-23-22, 09:41 AM
  #1  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Time ADHX gravel/cx bike

Hey gang,

Been looking at this frame and have only found a few reviews online...

https://timebicycles.us/collections/adhx

I know that Time bikes and their building methods are usually highly regarded, but wanted to know if anyone has any additional info... They sure look amazing. I know tire clearance isn't huge but I'm looking for something more like a cyclocross bike. Thanks in advance.
Caliwild is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 10:59 AM
  #2  
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
I’m not a fan of brands that are usually road-oriented and late to the game on all-road/gravel. I’m in Canada so it may be different elsewhere, but I haven’t seen a Time bike on the road for over a decade (that does makes it more intriguing for me).
Noonievut is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 11:17 AM
  #3  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut View Post
I’m not a fan of brands that are usually road-oriented and late to the game on all-road/gravel. I’m in Canada so it may be different elsewhere, but I haven’t seen a Time bike on the road for over a decade (that does makes it more intriguing for me).
Yeah, me neither but I live near a Time dealer in LA and have seen a a few Alp D'Huez and Skylon bikes on group rides. They look incredibly well-made and put other carbon frames to shame. So, when Time releases a gravel-ish bike, I am intrigued. Apparently, a new company purchased the brand from Rossingol, so there have been some changes in management... The main negative is that they're definitely not cheap. I can almost get a nice Moots titanium bike for the prices they're asking...
Caliwild is offline  
Old 06-23-22, 11:40 AM
  #4  
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
Yeah, me neither but I live near a Time dealer in LA and have seen a a few Alp D'Huez and Skylon bikes on group rides. They look incredibly well-made and put other carbon frames to shame. So, when Time releases a gravel-ish bike, I am intrigued. Apparently, a new company purchased the brand from Rossingol, so there have been some changes in management... The main negative is that they're definitely not cheap. I can almost get a nice Moots titanium bike for the prices they're asking...
Cool. Keep us posted in this forum!
Noonievut is offline  
Old 06-24-22, 08:23 AM
  #5  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 703 Posts
That’s a super looking sled, both by-the-numbers and aesthetically. I’d absolutely love to have a Time bike, and now that I’ve completed my initial exploration of the four major construction materials, perhaps I soon will get one. Time is a legendary brand, as I see things, and further remain unique and leading-edge, the kind of brand which only real heads know about, so that’s appealing to me, too. I love the translucent finish on this ADHX; the amber is fire!
chaadster is offline  
Old 06-24-22, 12:04 PM
  #6  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
That’s a super looking sled, both by-the-numbers and aesthetically. I’d absolutely love to have a Time bike, and now that I’ve completed my initial exploration of the four major construction materials, perhaps I soon will get one. Time is a legendary brand, as I see things, and further remain unique and leading-edge, the kind of brand which only real heads know about, so that’s appealing to me, too. I love the translucent finish on this ADHX; the amber is fire!
Yes! I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the amber one with Ekar... Just trying to decide whether I should go for the ADHX or a titanium bike. Any thoughts on a Ti bike vs. something like this?
Caliwild is offline  
Old 06-24-22, 07:12 PM
  #7  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
Yes! I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the amber one with Ekar... Just trying to decide whether I should go for the ADHX or a titanium bike. Any thoughts on a Ti bike vs. something like this?
Oh, I dunno…a great bike is so much more than just the frame material. Speaking as someone with road bikes in the four major materials— steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber— I really don’t think there’s much in material choice from the consumer perspective, aside from price, looks and
weight…sometimes.
chaadster is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 09:41 AM
  #8  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Oh, I dunno…a great bike is so much more than just the frame material. Speaking as someone with road bikes in the four major materials— steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber— I really don’t think there’s much in material choice from the consumer perspective, aside from price, looks and
weight…sometimes.
Yeah, I think I agree with you... never tried titanium but have had enough steel, carbon and aluminum bikes that I sometimes even feel that tires are more important than frame material (at least for comfort & feel). The geometry has more impact on handling than anything else IMO.
Caliwild is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 10:13 AM
  #9  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
Yeah, I think I agree with you... never tried titanium but have had enough steel, carbon and aluminum bikes that I sometimes even feel that tires are more important than frame material (at least for comfort & feel). The geometry has more impact on handling than anything else IMO.
And from an engineering perspective, with carbon fiber, there’s so much more control and fine-tuning of handling and ride quality compared to constructing in metal… so for sure get the Time!
chaadster is offline  
Old 08-02-22, 02:08 PM
  #10  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
OK, I pulled the trigger on the gloss carbon Ekar build... I like the understated look versus the other brighter ones (almost went with the amber but chickened out)... Ordered the full build without the wheelset, as my local shop has some of the new Campy Shamal C21's in stock.... Figured they'd match well with the full Campy groupset... Going to run it as more of an allroad bike instead of a full gravel bike (I have another full gravel bike with 700x40s). So, I got lucky and found some Continental GP5000 TR tires in a size 700x30 locally (tan sidewalls, of course). I'll post pics once the shop builds it up... Thanks to chaadster for pushing me to get it!



Caliwild is offline  
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-02-22, 03:31 PM
  #11  
tdilf
Full Member
 
tdilf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 291

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 68 Posts
Really sweet bike Cali!
tdilf is offline  
Likes For tdilf:
Old 08-02-22, 07:48 PM
  #12  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 703 Posts
Ooh, Campy C21s?!? What’s this magic??! Gotta check those out…

Congrats on the Time!!! Straight up dreamy! Looking forward to hearing your impressions and reviews.
chaadster is offline  
Old 08-05-22, 11:47 AM
  #13  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Ooh, Campy C21s?!? What’s this magic??! Gotta check those out…

Congrats on the Time!!! Straight up dreamy! Looking forward to hearing your impressions and reviews.
Will do... I'll hopefully have it in a week. Almost went with the new Campy Levante wheelset but the Shamals are more aero (and I like the lacing)...
Caliwild is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 08:21 AM
  #14  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Some photos

My bike shop sent some pics they took of the completed product... Can't wait to go pick it up!









Caliwild is offline  
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-11-22, 10:07 AM
  #15  
jonathanf2
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 474

Bikes: '17 105 2x11 Sprint CF Comp / '21 GRX400 2x10 Poseidon X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 201 Posts
Beautiful bike! Now hit some dirt in Los Angeles!
jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 08-11-22, 10:04 PM
  #16  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,533

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 703 Posts
Tres boss!!
chaadster is offline  
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-18-22, 09:29 AM
  #17  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
Ride update

OK, I hate to gush but I'm loving this bike so far... Very planted and aero on descents (I hit a new top speed for me on one particular fast descent). Yet it climbs pretty darn well for a bike that isn't superlight (I weighed it at 18.5 lbs with the pedals, cages and computer mount). And I am very pleasantly surprised by how crisp the shifting is on the Ekar. Definitely take a little more push to shift but the clicks are very clear (there's never a doubt that it shifted). The 700x30 Continental GP5000s are super supple (tubeless) and roll very, very fast. Even the Arundel bar tape that TIME chose to use is very grippy without being sticky. The Deda gravel components really match well with the overall theme, and the Repente Quasar saddle (which I had never heard of before) is surprisingly comfortable. Overall, as you can tell, I am very happy with my decision... Here is the list of components (minus the tires) and a photo of the final build...


Caliwild is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:42 AM
  #18  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
BTW, this video sold me on TIME and their process for building good carbon bikes...

Caliwild is offline  
Old 08-19-22, 12:09 PM
  #19  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 69 Posts
I really like the mono stay...

Caliwild is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.