Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Interested in recumbent, but need info

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Interested in recumbent, but need info

Old 02-18-21, 12:37 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by La Tortue
or perhaps the bike is in fact faster.
Nah. It's just a bike. It cannot be 'faster' than any other bike of similar weight, seat recline, gearing, etc. The speed is in the rider. And most riders (unless MBB prodigies) won't be faster on a Cruzbike than on something more conventional for some time. But, nice try.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-18-21, 10:05 AM
La Tortue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
And most riders (unless MBB prodigies) won't be faster on a Cruzbike than on something more conventional for some time.

I am, and my wife is (faster). We are not MBB prodigies. I do believe the vast majority of average people have the dexterity needed to ride a MBB. It is not the giant challenge some make it out to be. The original question starting this thread is, "I avg about 14-16mph with hills and flats. do recumbent bikes/trikes perform as well as regular road bikes? any advice, or information you can give would be greatly appreciated...". I can tell you Cruzbike thinks their bike is faster than the one you are on. If not they will give you your money back and pay the shipping cost. Thats a pretty good deal for someone who is interested in going recumbent. I can also tell you that Cruzbike has wind tunnel tested the Vendetta with three different body types and released this data to the public. You can compare these results to other DF tests for more eye opening revelations. If you have an accurate idea of your cruising wattage numbers you can come very close to determining your real world criusing speeds on the Vendetta using this data. Beware, 130 watts can turn some impressive numbers.
Old 02-18-21, 11:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I am, and my wife is (faster). We are not MBB prodigies. I do believe the vast majority of average people have the dexterity needed to ride a MBB. It is not the giant challenge some make it out to be. The original question starting this thread is, "I avg about 14-16mph with hills and flats. do recumbent bikes/trikes perform as well as regular road bikes? any advice, or information you can give would be greatly appreciated...". I can tell you Cruzbike thinks their bike is faster than the one you are on. If not they will give you your money back and pay the shipping cost. Thats a pretty good deal for someone who is interested in going recumbent. I can also tell you that Cruzbike has wind tunnel tested the Vendetta with three different body types and released this data to the public. You can compare these results to other DF tests for more eye opening revelations. If you have an accurate idea of your cruising wattage numbers you can come very close to determining your real world criusing speeds on the Vendetta using this data. Beware, 130 watts can turn some impressive numbers.
Faster? Faster than what? Does Cruzbike really advertise their bikes as 'faster' than others? Or do they advertise that you will be satisfied and happy with your purchase? The two are very, very different. Both are difficult to back up, but one is nearly impossible to guarantee without knowing a whole lot more about the buyer than would be reasonable for a manufacturer to ever know. This is my Highracer. Some pretty Vendetta like macro-ergonomics wouldn't you say? If Cruzbike really wants to sell me a Vendetta they would need to do a LOT more than just allow me to send the Vendetta back postage paid!

Is the Vendetta even on the list of bikes being sold on the incentivized purchase plan? You mention comparing the Vendetta wind tunnel tests to DF tests ... seriously?! How about comparing Vendetta tests to Saki tests! Performer didn't have to do anything special to sell me a Saki except build it. I did the rest. The strategy also seems to work for Trek, Giant, Specialized, et al. Clearly speed isn't something I care about in a recumbent or I wouldn't have fenders, a pump, front/rear storage bags, etc. hanging off it. I'm assuming, but I don't think I'd be too far wrong in assuming that the model of Cruzbike that is in the price area of Saki would be butt ugly. I couldn't afford a Vendetta even if I wanted one and I don't see that Cruzbike is prepared to address that particular aspect of things. Are you getting a commission for your sales outreach? How does that work?
Old 02-18-21, 01:04 PM
La Tortue

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Faster? Faster than what? Does Cruzbike really advertise their bikes as 'faster' than others?
You really should check the links so you know what they are before you make posts against them. Now, go back and find the linked guarantee above which has been posted at least twice. Yes, they claim their bike is faster than the one you are on, yes they spell it out very well, yes, check out the climbing part. Pretty gutsy huh?
Old 02-22-21, 07:25 AM
recumbentbikes
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read the reviews on <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->different websites before buying a recumbent bike. These reviews will help you in making the right decision.
Old 02-26-21, 10:04 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Recumbent vs DF

We have gotten together more than once with my cousins and ridden the Katy Trail more than once. With the trail being a fine packed gravel your speed does not go much over 12 mph if you want to keep a comfortable pace. That is regardless of what type of bike is ridden.

The first time we rode the trail it was on DF's. A couple of years later we rode it again with recumbents. What we found out was that the speed was about the same between the DF's and the 'bents. The comfort factor on the recumbents over a long distance is what really makes a difference. We were able to go a longer distance in a day's time with the 'bents because of that. I was riding a Sun EZ-1 on the second trip; a Raleigh Grand Prix on the first. The Sun has a top speed of 15mph for me with the gearing on it. What does help greatly are high pressure tires on a recumbent.

With recumbents (at least with the Sun's) with the extra seat padding you really don't need the padded shorts. Moisture wicking fabric is the main thing.

PhilWinIL
Old 02-27-21, 10:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
To put it another way, I've seen Cruzbikes in action, and don't believe they're faster than other lowracers or highracers. I wouldn't recommend a MBB bike to any first-time recumbent buyers. Maybe for an upgrade buyer, someone who can obtain an extensive test-ride first... MBB just adds one more thing to master before the bike can be ridden. Besides, most first-timers are going to look for a used bike, in which case the Cruzbike 'guarantee' is worthless. I'm sure my friend, who bought his Silvio used, would love to return it to CB for his money back. We all know that's not going to happen, though.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-01-21 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 10:05 AM
Ivabig1
Banned.

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
I looked on the forums, but didn't find a thread on this. I am sure I missed one or multiple somewhere. I do apologize if I did, I am still looking.

I have been riding my df road bike for over years now, just getting back into it after 20 yrs. while I love my road bike, I am curious as to the performance of a recumbent(mainly trike) compared to a decent road bike. through normal ride on the road in my location I avg about 14-16mph with hills and flats. do recumbent bikes/trikes perform as well as regular road bikes? any advice, or information you can give would be greatly appreciated...
trikes aren’t safe to ride on roads...in my opinion...to low to the ground they stick out to far into the road especially if the shoulder is very small
Old 04-11-21, 07:04 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sriley4290
I looked on the forums, but didn't find a thread on this. I am sure I missed one or multiple somewhere. I do apologize if I did, I am still looking.

I have been riding my df road bike for over years now, just getting back into it after 20 yrs. while I love my road bike, I am curious as to the performance of a recumbent(mainly trike) compared to a decent road bike. through normal ride on the road in my location I avg about 14-16mph with hills and flats. do recumbent bikes/trikes perform as well as regular road bikes? any advice, or information you can give would be greatly appreciated...
I started riding recumbent about 4 years ago now with a Sun EZ-1. They are not the best for speed but sure beat a DF for long distances. I have ridden the Katy Trail with my cousins a couple of times now. The first time was on my '07 Raleigh Grand Prix, the second on the EZ-1. The EZ-1 wins hands down for comfort. No recovery period for it, plus we noticed that with recumbents you can ride a longer distance before you wear out.
Last year I purchased a Sun EZ Sport. It is a longer bike but about the same in weight. The down side to 'bents is that you cannot stand on the pedals when going uphill. You have to downshift and go at a slower pace when going uphill. This year I decided to add an e-assist to the Sport. It may sound like overkill, but I'm looking at Father Time too. With the assist it becomes a nice commuter bike. You can find some photos of it in various stages out on Dropbox. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4rs7sgkq2...uKkdUINVa?dl=0
I found the best location for the battery on the lower bar of the frame. The rack in back made the wiring too tight so it was moved and the controller box mounted under the seat.
i just took it out for a longer test ride Friday. Speed was at 18-20, 23 depending on the terrain and wind. Wind speed was hitting 20-25+. I would not have tried it on a DF!
Old 04-12-21, 01:30 AM
kingjason

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivabig1
trikes aren’t safe to ride on roads...in my opinion...to low to the ground they stick out to far into the road especially if the shoulder is very small
In my experience I get way more respect on the road on a trike than a DF or 2 wheeled recumbent. They are large and people see them well and go way around. I think they think you are handicapped and really swing wide. I ride all types of bikes all the time and my closest encounters have been on a DF. Now, blood thirsty dogs on the other hand. Nothing like seeing a german sheppard snarling at you at eye level.
Likes For kingjason:
Old 05-05-21, 02:24 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The idea that bent bikes are faster than road bikes is based on the assumption that they're more aerodynamic, which isn't always, or even usually, the case. There's nothing else special about them to make them fast. So, in order to reap the benefits of a speedier bike, you first have to be strong enough to ride at speeds where aerodynamics start mattering, which means you have to be an 18-20 mph rider on your road bike.
This is true. A carbon M5 high racer will be about 5MPH faster than a Trek Emonda (I own both) at 250W of power on a flat. On a hill climb, my carbon Trek outperforms. I have only been passed by a DF on my M5 twice. Both times were by time trial bikes. I drop a pelotons of strong riders with ease. At the same time, I can't keep up with some of my group riders when I'm on the Trek.

Bacchettas are fast, as is the Cruzbike V20. I would stick with carbon Bacchettas, a Cruzbike, or an M5 if you want to be faster. On the other hand, you won't notice much of an improvement with a run of the mill bike. Trikes are really for comfort or people with disabilities. They are not as fast as a regular bike

It will take you a solid month to get your recumbent muscles conditioned. At that point, I guarantee you will set a PR on all of your Strava segments.
Old 05-05-21, 02:26 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You really should check the links so you know what they are before you make posts against them. Now, go back and find the linked guarantee above which has been posted at least twice. Yes, they claim their bike is faster than the one you are on, yes they spell it out very well, yes, check out the climbing part. Pretty gutsy huh?
Yes, and they will stand by it if you provide them with data. It also affords an opportunity to buy a used test bike from them at a discount.
Old 05-05-21, 02:38 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Safe and Fast

My Friend has 200,000 Safe Miles.
With 16 Inch Wheels she is Low to the Road and can Hold 25 MPH as long as any other rider.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-05-21, 03:23 PM
La Tortue

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
can Hold 25 MPH as long as any other rider.
LOL, I've learned over 20 years of board reading that board claims oftentimes exaggerate the real-world performance but whatever. We have an active group of recumbent Zwift racers that have a lot of fun playing indoor Lances. The problem is we struggle to get enough numbers for competitive teams. We would love for any of you who might be interested in this kind of thing to join us. If so let me know and can provide you more info.
Old 05-05-21, 03:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

LOL, I've learned over 20 years of board reading that board claims oftentimes exaggerate the real-world performance but whatever. We have an active group of recumbent Zwift racers that have a lot of fun playing indoor Lances. The problem is we struggle to get enough numbers for competitive teams. We would love for any of you who might be interested in this kind of thing to join us. If so let me know and can provide you more info.
Where are you?

Old 05-05-21, 03:41 PM
La Tortue

We race zone 13 Americas East Divisions Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30 pm ET Although our teammates live across the entire US and some in Canada.
Old 05-05-21, 03:48 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

We race zone 13 Americas East Divisions Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30 pm ET Although our teammates live across the entire US and some in Canada.
So you are in France?

Old 05-05-21, 03:59 PM
La Tortue

Tomorrow's course will be the RGV in France. Tuesdays we move on to the Champs-Elysees in Paris. Come join us from your basement.
Old 05-06-21, 11:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Taint so McGee.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-07-21, 07:34 AM
La Tortue

All three of our teams killed it last night at the races. Grab that trike and join us or form up a fancy trike team and compete against us and 1,000's of other teams. All fun. Stop the talk let's see the walk!

Last edited by La Tortue; 05-07-21 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-09-21, 08:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
My Friend has 200,000 Safe Miles.
With 16 Inch Wheels she is Low to the Road and can Hold 25 MPH as long as any other rider.
Notice the location of the passing truck. On my trike, this is what I almost always see.
Likes For rydabent: