Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice on Paramount brake options

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 12:13 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

I am communicating with a seller and seriously considering my first foray into tandem cycling with a '76 Paramount frame. However, I am a little stumped as to brake options. It originally had Mafac cantilevers, which of course would cost a pretty penny to find. Also, it originally had 27" wheels, and I'd like to use a spare 36-hole 700c wheelset I have lying around, just to get the thing off the ground and rolling. Can anyone offer advice on these questions?
  1. Can I use a modern canti, like something from Tektro?
  2. Would it be possible to swap in V-brakes? I like V-brake performance, so I would not be opposed to this if something would work.
  3. Which brake choice will have the vertical adjustment that allows me to use 700c wheels?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Old 08-12-21, 03:15 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
700c wheelset will be fine as long as the axle spacing is compatible, regarding the brakes it will depend on the post spacing as to whether more modern canti or v brakes will fit with enough clearance to fit the pads my old tandem didn't have room for a modern canti or v brake as the posts were to close together.

Last edited by headasunder; 08-12-21 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 05:30 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by headasunder
700c wheelset will be fine as long as the axle spacing is compatible, regarding the brakes it will depend on the post spacing as to whether more modern canti or v brakes will fit with enough clearance to fit the pads my old tandem didn't have room for a modern canti or v brake as the posts were to close together.
Do you recall the distance between the posts on your old bike? I'm just curious how narrow is too narrow, based on your actual experience.
Old 08-12-21, 07:24 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Do you recall the distance between the posts on your old bike? I'm just curious how narrow is too narrow, based on your actual experience.
Approximately 65mm, standard spacing is 80mm
Likes For headasunder:
Old 08-12-21, 09:26 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
This link may help answer that as well.
https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...izing-psa.html
The TLDR is that current cantilever post spacing is in the 77 to 85 mm range, but some older bikes have it in the 55 to 65 mm range. I just checked my tandem and it's about 83 mm post to post. Estimated as I didn't pull the wheel or v-brake arms. My rim is around 23 mm and it has plenty of clearance even with new pads. Now, make that 20 mm smaller, things would probably clear. Go 30 mm and not all v-brakes are going to retract strongly enough without tweaking the return springs a bit, possibly putting the pads at a funny angle, etc.

Backing that up, our first tandem has 69 mm c-c spacing on the brake posts and I also ran a 23 mm rim on it. I didn't have issues running v-brakes, but it was a 650B to 700C conversion (why I took off the brakes from Mafac cantilevers to begin with) so the pads were a bit higher than normal on the v-brake arms. I'm not sure this would have worked very well with really wide rims either.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 08-12-21, 09:34 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
One additional thought, I have a Mixte 1976 LeJeune that doesn't need to go home, but it can't stay here. You're not far from me, so I'll send you a PM.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 08-12-21, 11:27 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I did the very same conversion with our 1980 Richardson tandem several years ago. It also came with 27" wheels and Mafac cantilevers. While some brakes will likely work with your 700c wheelset, you might find that you'll need to go through a little trial and error to find a set that actually works well. While at the moment I can't give you any definite numbers regarding spacing and height placement, I did find some cantilever and V-brakes that were indeed suitable for the job. The key is to find a set that'll have a little more inward/outward flexibility as well as having a reasonable amount of vertical downward travel, for you'll need to drop the pads by a few millimeters to work properly with the rims. In our case, I had a vintage set of Dia Compes that worked pretty well, and I found a Tektro set that worked on the rear but not on the front. I also used a set of Shimano V-brakes for a while that were okay, but the pads should've been sitting a bit lower than they were, so they certainly weren't ideal. And finally, I tried some brakes that didn't work at all, so it can potentially be a pretty messy matter. Of course, there could be a number of brakes out there that could work very well without me knowing about them, but I have had pretty good luck with the vintage Dia Compes.
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 08-13-21, 11:35 AM
noobinsf 

I really appreciate everyone's advice! It's helping me think about whether this is something I *really* want to try or just an impulse buy.
Old 08-17-21, 11:09 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's advice! It's helping me think about whether this is something I *really* want to try or just an impulse buy.
I personally think you would be dodging a bullet if you keep your powder dry and buy something at least 20 years closer to the present date. I had two bikes from 1984 and they were both ready to ride. A frame up build from 1976 ... OMG ... Ebay would be sending you love letters. Good thing because your spouse would have stopped. Don't do it. The brakes would be the least of it.
Old 08-18-21, 11:30 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I personally think you would be dodging a bullet if you keep your powder dry and buy something at least 20 years closer to the present date. I had two bikes from 1984 and they were both ready to ride. A frame up build from 1976 ... OMG ... Ebay would be sending you love letters. Good thing because your spouse would have stopped. Don't do it. The brakes would be the least of it.
The ad disappeared before I had a chance to buy it, and thanks in part to this thread, I felt relief rather than regret. For someone else, I'm sure this will be a labor of love, but I'm confident that it would have become a quagmire for me. I've worked with a good number of vintage bikes by now, and a bike that presents a host of unique issues has its place, but I'm trying to be more careful about that these days.