Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
How so?
the OP mentioned not going to his regular LBS & I sensed a little justification for the decision. now he has to deal with all this. meaning, if he went to his regular shop, one might assume, the damage wouldn't have happened. not blaming the victim, these things happen to all of us & we make our best decisions, with the information we have on hand. I've done it myself & will again in the future. in fact right now I'm debating internally which shop to use for a certain bike I want looked at. my local 1 man LBS who is absolutely great but I don't want to burden him with some labor that he under charges for, or a bigger shop with a team of technicians that are also great & can bang out the work much faster (& charge me for it). what will I decide? how will it turn out?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-24-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 02:49 PM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the OP mentioned not going to his regular LBS & I sensed a little justification for the decision. now he has to deal with all this. meaning, if he went to his regular shop, one might assume, the damage wouldn't have happened. not blaming the victim, these things happen to all of us & we make our best decisions, with the information we have on hand. I've done it myself & will again in the future. in fact right now I'm debating internally which shop to use for a certain bike I want looked at. my local 1 man LBS who is absolutely great but I don't want to burden him with some labor that he under charges for, or a bigger shop with a team of technicians that are also great & can bang out the work much faster (& charge me for it). what will I decide? how will it turn out?
That's just dumb
Likes For Equinox:
Old 04-24-22, 03:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Took, not brought.
It is not so clear...
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ung-vs-brought
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-24-22, 03:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It sounds like the shop owned up to their mistake and wants to make it right. That is really good (and increasingly unusual.)

I'm not sure where else you would clamp a tandem. I have never worked on one, but putting it on a stand presents some unusual problems.
When we had a tandem, I used two repair stands. One is an old style that supports the bike with the down tube and bottom bracket. The other I used on the rear seat post.

Another way I did it was to put the rear wheel on a trainer to adjust shifting.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-24-22, 05:19 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Dent? Sounds like the tube is bent.
No. When you put too much clamping force on a tube, you dent it. If the tube was bent, it would no longer be in a straight line. Pretty hard to do with a tube that is anchored at both ends by other frame tubes.
Old 04-25-22, 06:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Took, not brought.
Pedantic and wrong.
Old 04-25-22, 06:45 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Took, not brought.
It is not so clear...
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ung-vs-brought
It's clearly wrong. And your link is discussing something else anyway.
Old 04-25-22, 06:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Is it a Carbon Fiber thing or do people clamp the frame like it holds the Earth on its axis?

I can't imagine the force needed to dent my frames.
It is best to clamp any bike by the seatpost because that is a thick and supportive tube. Top tubes are meant to be very thin and it is easier to dent with the clamp if you tighten it too much. This holds true for aluminum and steel bikes because those can dent. A carbon fiber frame would just crack rather than dent, since the fiber layup isnt 'dentable'. Also, mounting by the top tube can easily lead to scratched/rubbed paint if the frame moves laterally in the clamp.

With that said, I mount bikes by the top tube all the time for quick issues on bikes that have a wedge bag in place and not enough easily accessible seatpost. I either wont clamp it at all and just balance the bike, or I will clamp it and tighten only to the point of the clamp contacting the tube and no tighter.
You also shouldnt mount it by the seat tube, to be clear.
Old 04-25-22, 06:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

karma, huh?
This site needs a downvote.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 07:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It is best to clamp any bike by the seatpost because that is a thick and supportive tube. Top tubes are meant to be very thin and it is easier to dent with the clamp if you tighten it too much. This holds true for aluminum and steel bikes because those can dent. A carbon fiber frame would just crack rather than dent, since the fiber layup isnt 'dentable'. Also, mounting by the top tube can easily lead to scratched/rubbed paint if the frame moves laterally in the clamp.

With that said, I mount bikes by the top tube all the time for quick issues on bikes that have a wedge bag in place and not enough easily accessible seatpost. I either wont clamp it at all and just balance the bike, or I will clamp it and tighten only to the point of the clamp contacting the tube and no tighter.
You also shouldnt mount it by the seat tube, to be clear.
I think, as much as excessive clamping force, damage comes when you've got it clamped by the top tube and then do something that requires a lot of torque elsewhere (getting out a stuck BB?). Now, instead of the force being evenly distributed along the clamp, it's focused at the edges of the jaws. But yeah, overtightening the clamp (especially if you use the quick release and have incorrectly estimated the compression from that, will do it too.
Old 04-25-22, 07:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

This site needs a downvote.
well, the next time the OP needs service, where will he go?
his usual shop that is very good, or the shop that broke the bike?
Old 04-25-22, 07:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

well, the next time the OP needs service, where will he go?
his usual shop that is very good, or the shop that broke the bike?
That isnt Karma though. And claiming it is Karma is a really low thing to say. You use that term when a moral decision was the wrong one to make as it is a judgement phrase. That doesnt belong here. The guy took it to a shop that he thought could do the job because his regular place was both inconvenient and backed up. Nobody deserves to have their bike broken just because they frequented a different shop, but that is what you are essentially claiming.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

That isnt Karma though. And claiming it is Karma is a really low thing to say. You use that term when a moral decision was the wrong one to make as it is a judgement phrase. That doesnt belong here. The guy took it to a shop that he thought could do the job because his regular place was both inconvenient and backed up. Nobody deserves to have their bike broken just because they frequented a different shop, but that is what you are essentially claiming.
I agree wrong word. certainly didn't mean he deserved it! I guess I explained the comment badly. thank you
Old 04-25-22, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Camilo
When we had a tandem, I used two repair stands. One is an old style that supports the bike with the down tube and bottom bracket. The other I used on the rear seat post
sometimes, at my 2nd gig, we use 2 fork lifts to put the floppy 16' composite decking into the store racks
Old 04-25-22, 01:54 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's clearly wrong. And your link is discussing something else anyway.
Negative. The correct word was took.
Old 04-25-22, 01:56 PM
njkayaker

Negative. The correct word was took.
No. Still pedantic. Still wrong. "Took" isn't wrong but neither is "brought".

You are making the claim. Do more than just repeating it to convince people.
Old 04-25-22, 02:25 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Every time I think about getting my bike serviced at a bike shop I read about another crap bike mechanic! Accidents can happen of course. But clamping a tandem by the top tube is not an accident. It's just ignorance or stupidity.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-22, 03:17 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
That makes me feel better. My bike is about six years old. I can't imagine it being an option for a shop that damaged customers bike to NOT take responsibility. "We damaged your bike. Sucks to be you." Is that a possibility?
Lots of issues here, you would have to had pictures of it at the shop before they took it to the back, then if they still deny paying for the damages it's off to small claims court you go, but even an award in your favor could result in a bike shop dragging their feet forever, so then you would have to put a lien on their store, and or vehicles, a huge nightmare for the customer. I once had an employee steal $5,000 from me, he had no money, I put a lien on his house, I guess he still owns the house after 25 some odd years because I never received any money; then if it takes 25 or more years to get the money back all you get is the original $5,000 lien, you don't get what the money is worth today after inflation.

So maybe this is a warning to us readers to take pictures of our bikes at the shop just before we turn it in to them for repairs.
Old 04-25-22, 04:51 PM
Equinox

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Lots of issues here, you would have to had pictures of it at the shop before they took it to the back, then if they still deny paying for the damages it's off to small claims court you go, but even an award in your favor could result in a bike shop dragging their feet forever, so then you would have to put a lien on their store, and or vehicles, a huge nightmare for the customer. I once had an employee steal $5,000 from me, he had no money, I put a lien on his house, I guess he still owns the house after 25 some odd years because I never received any money; then if it takes 25 or more years to get the money back all you get is the original $5,000 lien, you don't get what the money is worth today after inflation.

So maybe this is a warning to us readers to take pictures of our bikes at the shop just before we turn it in to them for repairs.
Also, ask them if they are insured if your bike is damaged, or what their policy is for repairing damage they cause.
Old 04-26-22, 12:27 PM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
It is best to clamp any bike by the seatpost because that is a thick and supportive tube.
It’s also much easier (and cheaper) to replace a seat post than a top tube.
Old 04-26-22, 09:10 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
It is best to clamp any bike by the seatpost because that is a thick and supportive tube.
Originally Posted by ted_major
It’s also much easier (and cheaper) to replace a seat post than a top tube.
With the length and weight at both ends of a tandem, I wouldn't support it by either seat tube or either top tube. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think the potential leverage is too much for either method. But I don't know what professional bike shops do. I mentioned I used two bike stands, I wonder what the alternative in a professional setting is.
Old 04-26-22, 09:54 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
With the length and weight at both ends of a tandem, I wouldn't support it by either seat tube or either top tube. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think the potential leverage is too much for either method. But I don't know what professional bike shops do. I mentioned I used two bike stands, I wonder what the alternative in a professional setting is.
+1. Just out of mechanical common sense, I'd use a rear wheel stand or such.
Old 04-26-22, 10:48 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I can't imagine it being an option for a shop that damaged customers bike to NOT take responsibility. "We damaged your bike. Sucks to be you." Is that a possibility?
Oh, certainly.
That’s what got me started on doing my own wrenching past flats and chain lubes.
Old 04-27-22, 03:01 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Apparently they clamp it by the top tube and then apologize nicely to the customer when it bends.
Old 04-27-22, 06:00 PM
Equinox

We got our tandem back yesterday, and the damage looks like what you would expect a top tube to look like when someone put a clamp on it. A couple of dents. The paint is intact. I wonder if it really is worth repairing. Stripping, shipping etc. are just more chances for something to go wrong. I'll talk to the shop owner and CoMotion and see how much this is going to cost. I'm guessing, all told, it could be around a thousand or so, and I don't think the shop owner should be on hook for that considering it's really close to cosmetic damage. If I do decide to repair it, I would chip in something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.