Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to service the aheadset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 10:43 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

The front fork column wobbles a bit in the headset of my Trek 6500 SLR (with Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed). The pressed(?) cups seem seem to be original, not sure if the rest was serviced/replaced in the past.

Anyway, I tried to remove the original pressed frame cups, worked with this tool reasonably hard for a couple of minutes, however the bottom cup only moved a couple of millimetres. I wasn't sure if the cups can be removed, I pressed all back and ended up replacing the caged ball bearings and the plastic centering ring. Unfortunately there is still a tiny bit of the wobble in the top cup. I can tighten the top headset bolt to eliminate the wobble, but then the fork get's stuck and doesn't pivot easily.

I'm confused:
  • Is this a common issue? Easy to fix?
  • Or maybe I shall I keep forcing the cups out and replace the whole headset? I have this one laying around: Ritchey Comp V2 Headset, will it fit?
Thanks

Last edited by alexk_il; 08-22-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 01:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have no idea if that Ritchey headset will work, but I suspect it will. And that's the right tool for removing headset cups (although they do come in different sizes).

But what might be causing your "wobble" is that the stem isn't being pulled onto the headset stack sufficiently. Unscrew and remove the top cap and ensure that there's a 2mm gap between the top of the steering tube and the top of the stem. If there isn't, remove the stem, add a thin spacer under (or above) it, then retighten the top cap and the bolts.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-22-22, 03:44 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
And for the OP...if the 'cup removal tool' doesn't work all you have to do is hit it harder.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-22-22, 11:53 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I have no idea if that Ritchey headset will work, but I suspect it will. And that's the right tool for removing headset cups (although they do come in different sizes).

But what might be causing your "wobble" is that the stem isn't being pulled onto the headset stack sufficiently. Unscrew and remove the top cap and ensure that there's a 2mm gap between the top of the steering tube and the top of the stem. If there isn't, remove the stem, add a thin spacer under (or above) it, then retighten the top cap and the bolts.

Thank you, I have around 5-7mm gap, not 2mm. Do I need to remove spacers or is it ok?
Old 08-23-22, 09:33 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Thank you, I have around 5-7mm gap, not 2mm. Do I need to remove spacers or is it ok?
As long as the topmost fixing bolt on the stem is not above the top of the steering tube, you should be okay. If it sits above the top of the steerer, you should definitely remove spacers, just for safety's sake. Whether this will remedy the loose headset, I don't know.

Photo shows correct installation:

Likes For Rolla: