Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front wheel hits bike frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 12:41 AM
BikeGuy2

Bikes: 1. Trek fuel ex 8 GX 2022 ML. | 2. 1995 Green Trek Mountain Track 850. | 3. Avanti Pisca pro-Track bike. | 4. Some 10 year old upgraded BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

front wheel hits bike frameHello, I recently bought a second hand Avanti Pista Pro fixed gear velodrome bike, hoping to convert it into a fixed gear freestyle bike (to do tricks on it like barspins, Wheelies etc.). I have a problem though, I wanted to do bar spins with the bike (I put straight bars on the bike) but when the front of the tyre/wheel swings around it hits the frames bottom tube and does not go any further. Can anyone think of a solution for this, so the tyre/wheel clears the frames bottom tube? The only solution I can think of is to get some sort of part that makes the fork longer, so the wheel is further down and clears the frame. I can not afford anything to expensive though.
If anyone could come up with a solution, I would be very grateful!
Old 09-06-22, 01:16 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Track and road bikes aren't designed to let the steering rotate 360 degrees. I suppose there might be a way to shim the steer tube, but I think that would cause problems with the headset race and you'd have to make sure you have enough on the top to still hold the stem. A fork with higher clearance might work (something from a touring bike, maybe?) depending on how much overlap you're dealing with, or you could put a 650b wheel on the front, I guess.
Old 09-06-22, 02:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
There are options but none of great, cheap, or easy.

Depending on how much it hits the downtube, you might try a lower profile tire, or a new, smaller front wheel.

If you have the skill you might be able to buy yourself some room by slightly straightening the fork, but this isn't that easy so should be a last resort.

Also if this bike has a threadless headset you might be able to transfer some spaces from above the the frame to below. There's a catch however, and that you'll have to do some work to get the headset to fit properly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-06-22, 02:24 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Are you sure you didn't turn the fork around when you were swapping the handlebars? a picture of the bike might help us understand your issue better

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-07-22 at 02:38 AM. Reason: I can't type right
Old 09-06-22, 02:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I see you started a second thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ike-frame.html

While forks look straight, they obviously aren't. And, finding one with straight blades will be a pain since what is called a "straight blade" fork still has rake.

A "Pista" bike or track bike may be the worst for what you're intending as it likely has very tight clearances. The advantages is the fixed gear, but you could do a fixed gear on other bikes as long as you can get the chain adjustment right.

If I was doing it, I would likely build a custom straight steel fork with legs that are about 1/2" or 1" longer than what you have now. And, for your frame, also using a sloping crown to hopefully not hit the frame. Perhaps even custom straight dropouts.

1970's bikes with horizontal dropouts are popular for fixie conversions. And, can have clearance for 27" tires and fenders (great if you wish to convert to 700c). But I fear you would have way too much rake to be comfortable. Thus back to the custom fork.
Old 09-06-22, 02:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeGuy2
front wheel hits bike frameHello, I recently bought a second hand Avanti Pista Pro fixed gear velodrome bike, hoping to convert it into a fixed gear freestyle bike (to do tricks on it like barspins, Wheelies etc.). I have a problem though, I wanted to do bar spins with the bike (I put straight bars on the bike) but when the front of the tyre/wheel swings around it hits the frames bottom tube and does not go any further. Can anyone think of a solution for this, so the tyre/wheel clears the frames bottom tube? The only solution I can think of is to get some sort of part that makes the fork longer, so the wheel is further down and clears the frame. I can not afford anything to expensive though.
If anyone could come up with a solution, I would be very grateful!
Cross posting in multiple forums is verboten.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-22, 02:55 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
My guess is a track bike won't last all that long doing the types of things you want to do. The solution is to sell the bike and buy one built to do what you want to do with it.
Old 09-06-22, 07:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
You need a straight fork that fits the frame. Bikes for artistic cycling use straight forks. I don't know if all of those bikes are custom. I was thinking bike polo forks are straight, but the ones I found have some rake.
Old 09-06-22, 08:42 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You need a straight fork that fits the frame. Bikes for artistic cycling use straight forks. I don't know if all of those bikes are custom. I was thinking bike polo forks are straight, but the ones I found have some rake.
In addition to a straight fork, you’d need a frame designed with geometry to work for barspins. Trying to convert a regular frame (using small wheel or weird fork etc.) will most likely result in a bike that isn’t very suitable for regular riding.
Old 09-06-22, 12:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You need a straight fork that fits the frame.
Most likely, that would hit the frame in both directions unless the fork is also noticeable longer. Track bikes just aren't designed with the kind of geometry the OP wants.
Old 09-06-22, 01:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Touring bikes, and even most MTBs have tons of wheel clearance. But you still have some type of fork rake which might make spinning the fork odd.

I was wondering about steel rigid MTB forks, and if many of them are mostly straight, and they achieve rake with the dropout being welded ahead of the fork. If that's the case, they might be easy to modify to be straight.

However, the crown probably won't work with the OP's bike.
Old 09-06-22, 02:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Normal bicycles never expect to have to turn the steerer tube more than a few degrees much less have their frame spun 360 or more degrees around them. You are probably looking at a new fork with different rake or smaller wheel. Neither a cheap solution.

Welcome to BF!
Old 09-06-22, 03:19 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve seen a kind of riser collar that extended the headtube downwards in order to create clearence for bar spins. Think the company who sold it was called eightinch or similar.
If you can track down a guy with a lathe, making one is minutes work.
Old 09-06-22, 06:30 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
How about a 24" wheel?
Old 09-06-22, 07:34 PM
BikeGuy2

Bikes: 1. Trek fuel ex 8 GX 2022 ML. | 2. 1995 Green Trek Mountain Track 850. | 3. Avanti Pisca pro-Track bike. | 4. Some 10 year old upgraded BMX

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to this website and I don't know how this works. I didn't mean to cause confusion. i am blown away by the help i have gotten here. Thank You
Old 09-06-22, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The bike is for track usage. Fixed gear freestyle has much different needs. I would look for a frame that is designed for FGFS or at least something with good tire clearance and a steel frame maybe something more like a big person BMX bike. Something with 26" or larger wheels.
Old 09-07-22, 08:20 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I agree with stevel610, I think you are trying to make the bike do something it is not suited for and no bolt-on change is going to fix that.
Old 09-07-22, 08:57 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeGuy2
I am new to this website and I don't know how this works. I didn't mean to cause confusion. i am blown away by the help i have gotten here. Thank You
Here’s the adapter I mentioned earlier: https://www.singlespeedshop.com/Sing...-Extender.html
How well your overall build may turn out, I have no idea.
Perhaps this and a 650B wheel would work?