Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GoPro Hero 11 (review of sorts for cycling)

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-21-22, 04:55 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts

GoPro Hero 11 Black good for cycling?

I’ve been on the hunt for a new cycling camera and decided to try the new GoPro Hero 11.

I use it as a rear facing camera so I can capture the plates of right hookers, people who throw things at me and those who drift over into bike lanes.. My hope is that in the event of a hit and run accident or incident that I’’l capture the plate of the offender..

GoPro, and other action cameras, get a bad rap for overheating but I’ve never had the issue and I run high resolution and FPS.. I think most are running their cameras (for the overheating tests at least) indoors, all settings enabled, screen on etc.. Sure they are going to overhead under those conditions.

I run mine without a battery inserted and connected to a USB battery pack. I also have screen off and GPS off. I have a 20,000mah Anker battery pack that will run the Hero 11 at 4K and 120 FPS for about 20+ hours. I also use a 512GB card that will hold about 8 1/2 hours of 4K @ 120fps footage..

For the past few days I’ve been testing it to see if I can get it to overheat since I’ve read many complaints about that with the Hero 11..

Day 1:

2.7K resolution at 120 FPS. I rode and it recorded for 4 1/2 hours and the GoPro never overheated and turned off. Several times when stopped at red lights I’d check it with my hand to see if the camera was getting hot.. Nope.. Luke warm at best..

Day 2:

4K resolution at 120 FPS. This was a 4 hour ride and the results were similar to above. No issues and no overheating.

Day 3 (today):

4K resolution at 120 FPS. Today I rode and it recorded for 4 1/2 hours. No issues whatsoever again.

I did have image stabilization on for all of the rides and I had the connections (BT & WiFi) left on in the camera settings. I left them on because if you want to connect to the app to view footage BT at least needs to be on.

My conclusion is that is a great camera to use for cycling. Even if you want to front mount it on handlebar or wherever, as long as it’s getting airflow over it and the screen is not constantly on it’s more than fine. I also think using it battery free and using a USB battery pack helps to keep it cool.

If mounted on the font of the bike for trail action video etc, you could still activate the screen every so often to check / adjust camera angle just make sure screen timeout is set to 1 min. I highly doubt based on my experience that turning on the screen every so often, briefly, is going to cause issues..

Yes it's a bit pricey but it's small and compact and it can quickly be removed from bike and used for other activities like vacations, taking photos etc..

My last GoPro, a Session that lasted me 5+ years, never overheated either so don't let all the overheating comments in YT and other reviews scare you off..

A few images of my setup. I have the GoPro waterproof USB pass-through door to keep it waterproof when riding in the rain.

Likes For raqball:
Old 09-22-22, 01:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
that's right in line to get stuff flung up at it from the rear tire. don't ride over any manure!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-22-22, 02:54 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that's right in line to get stuff flung up at it from the rear tire. don't ride over any manure!
I've been riding with rear camera mounted in that general position for several years.. Think my 1st was a bullet style Garmin Virb in 2013.. Never had any issues but now you probably jinxed me . I did order a Saddle mount for it that should be here on Sat to check out and see if I like that position better though.

Rode for just under 3 hours today @ 4K, 120FPS, stabilization on and horizon leveling on.. The camera maybe got luke warm.. No issues at all..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-22-22, 05:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by raqball
I've been riding with rear camera mounted in that general position for several years.. Think my 1st was a bullet style Garmin Virb in 2013.. Never had any issues but now you probably jinxed me . I did order a Saddle mount for it that should be here on Sat to check out and see if I like that position better though..
cool, I guess it’s forward enough of any rooster tail coming off the back tire
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-22-22, 05:37 PM
raqball

Quick video to show 4K 120FPS.. 120 FPS allows you to slow the video way down and get crisp and clear images of fast moving vehicles.

This car did nothing wrong and actually moved over for me. The video and screen grab are just to show the quality as that car was moving pretty fast..

Video (no editing other than slow mo - direct from camera): Change video quality to 4K for best viewing.

https://vimeo.com/752751694

Screen grab to show plate clarity (screen shot direct from the video - no editing)

Last edited by raqball; 09-22-22 at 06:08 PM.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-22-22, 07:12 PM
rumrunn6

Quick video to show 4K 120FPS.. 120 FPS allows you to slow the video way down and get crisp and clear images of fast moving vehicles.
This car did nothing wrong and actually moved over for me. The video and screen grab are just to show the quality as that car was moving pretty fast..
Video (no editing other than slow mo - direct from camera): Change video quality to 4K for best viewing.
Screen grab to show plate clarity (screen shot direct from the video - no editing)
haha that’s great
Old 09-22-22, 08:02 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Seems like a lot of money basically for an "a hole detection system".
Old 09-22-22, 08:24 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Seems like a lot of money basically for an "a hole detection system".
Well if you get right hooked, hit from behind by a distracted driver or whatever and the driver speeds off then this could get them caught and pay not only for the damage to your bike, but for medical bills etc... I hope I never need it but if I do I know it's there..

$400 is a drop in the bucket compared to one trip to the hospital because you got ran over and the driver fled.

Also, it's easily removable so you can use it for vacations, family gatherings or however you'd like. It takes like 30 seconds to mount and / or unmount it..

But like they say, to each their own.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-23-22, 12:58 PM
rumrunn6

Well if you get right hooked, hit from behind by a distracted driver or whatever and the driver speeds off then this could get them caught and pay not only for the damage to your bike, but for medical bills etc... I hope I never need it but if I do I know it's there..$400 is a drop in the bucket compared to one trip to the hospital because you got ran over and the driver fled.Also, it's easily removable so you can use it for vacations, family gatherings or however you'd like. It takes like 30 seconds to mount and / or unmount it..But like they say, to each their own.
got a GP8 refurbed off Amazon for little money & been having fun w/ it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-25-22, 03:18 PM
raqball

Moved the camera to the saddle mount but didn't like it that high up so I grabbed my bag of GoPro mounts and adapters and used aluminum arms to drop it down a bit while still using the saddle rail mount, I like this position better as it no longer shows the rear wheel. In the past I've always had a saddlebag so I could not use the rail mount for the camera but now that I'm using the frame bag, I have room.

Today I went for about a 3 hour ride and changed a few settings to test overheating. Today was 4K @ 120FPS, stabilization set to boost, horizon leveling on and GPS on. No issues at all and once again the camera got warm but never hot and it did not overheat.

I might leave GPS on as it gives some cool overlays you can add to the videos like speed, a speed graph, location, elevation etc..

Short video showing 120FPS slow down and a map overlay that can be added. You can add several overlays if GPS is on including elevation with would be cool for a long climb..

Video (select 4K for best viewing) ------> https://vimeo.com/753626627

A few photos of my new placement which I think I am going to keep..

Last edited by raqball; 09-25-22 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-26-22, 08:36 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks for sharing your setup. I'm guessing that you don't try to save any of your ride videos unless an "event" occurs during the ride. I do have to concur with the thought that it's an expensive setup for your use case with it's utility coming from an event you don't want to occur.

In any case, thanks again and stay safe with or without a rear camera.
Old 09-26-22, 09:56 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by honcho
I do have to concur with the thought that it's an expensive setup for your use case with it's utility coming from an event you don't want to occur.
Just because you don't want it to occur does not mean it will not..

Medical bills alone could be in the thousands not to mention damage to your bike and possible loss of wages from a hit and run driver. If the camera gets the plate it will be very easy for the police to track it down and those thousands and thousands of lost dollars now fall on the hit and run drivers insurance company.. If they don't have insurance then you can at least sue them, garnish wages and tax refunds..

Could it be a waste of $400? Sure.... Could it save you thousands and thousands of dollars if something does happen? Yup!

Same argument can be made for those who roll with the Garmin Radar unit. Many scoff at the Radar as they can do the same with a $10 mirror.. Cool, I guess, but I've rode with radar for years and it's fantastic.. I still have my Garmin Radar and switch it up every so often between it and the Quad Red light I have on the bike in the photos.

I ride anywhere from 24 to 40 miles a day (some more, some less) of which 95% is in the City with heavy traffic. I get right hooked at least once a day but I am generally fast enough to slam on brakes and turn to avoid the accident.

Before I started riding with a camera several years ago I was involved with a right hook accident. Driver fled and I was stuck with minor medical bills, the dental bill for a loose tooth and damage to my bike. All in all that accident cost me over $2,000.

Some see it as a waste of money but I see it as essential and won't ride without one as I am not interested in shelling out thousands of dollars again. The accident I described above was minor (luckily) but had it been more severe the out of pocket cost to me could have went up exponentially...

Also, as I've already stated, the camera can be installed or removed in under 30 seconds so it has infinite uses beside cycling. But yes, the other day I attached it to my handlebar and got some sweet front facing footage while riding in gravel..

Either way, I am not telling anyone to do this I am simply sharing my setup and findings on overheating when running the camera for anyone who IS interested in doing something similar. Some run front and rear cameras and radar... To each their own..

Last edited by raqball; 09-26-22 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

waterproof door for external power supply
cool door! I like that is has a groove for the wire! very smart! I just got an off-brand door for my GP8. couldn't find a gopro branded door for the wire. not waterproof & doesn't have that wire holding feature, so I'll have to use it w/ discretion