Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Old 09-22-22, 12:07 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Yes this is why I dont want to sell bikes on ebay since that act and 1099. It also makes parting out the more likely choice for nice bikes. From that link:

from $20,000 in aggregate payments and 200 transactions to solely a threshold of $600 in aggregate payments (with no minimum transaction requirement).
I generally don't have much to sell but when I have I've used ebay (but again it's not a business for me).

I am however in the market for some parts (Campag 10 or 11spd group), and have no knowledge of where to look other than Ebay. where else do people sell?
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-22-22, 02:56 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Based on the information I have from my lawyer friends, if you don't report a low value 1099-k, most of the time, the IRS will take no action. When the IRS does take action, most of the time it will be an inquiry, sometimes with a bill assuming the entire amount was profit. You can answer the inquiry, and usually quickly make peace with the IRS. In rare circumstances, an audit could be stimulated, but not just for a low value 1099-k. Keep in mind: only profits are taxable. Non-taxable income is not required by law to be reported at all, although it might be best to explain if the IRS so requests.
Maybe you missed my earlier post where I identified myself as a CPA.
The advice from your lawyer friends would only pertain to somebody already filing a Schedule C, like for a sole proprietor-type business.
At least, if that person files revenue in excess all 1099's given to him.
But somebody who gets their $3,000 1099-K from eBay, who fails to file a Schedule C will typically get a bill from the IRS.
That bill will treat the entire revenue as taxable. There's no simple explanation to make it go away. The IRS will require an amended 1040.
A Schedule C takes minutes to complete and, most times, you can bring the profit to nil.
I am not referring to tax audits, which are super rare. Just the normal triggering caused by a 1099.
Old 09-22-22, 02:56 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I generally don't have much to sell but when I have I've used ebay (but again it's not a business for me).

I am however in the market for some parts (Campag 10 or 11spd group), and have no knowledge of where to look other than Ebay. where else do people sell?
I almost always buy my parts in the form of a COMPLETE bike. Typically I can harvest the parts I want, sell some of the remaining parts, and donate the rest. I'm going through that process on four bikes I recently picked up.

Buy right, and you can get "free" parts to upgrade your bike. In fact, usually I make money on what remains, so the parts I keep are better than free.

The Juvela I just picked up is a case in point. Full of non-original RSX parts, including shifters. Meanwhile, another Motobecane I picked up earlier this week will provide stem, handlebars and appropriate brakes. Its a lot easier but much more costly to just buy the part(s) you need on ebay. Just realize convenience comes at a cost.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-23-22, 07:37 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
1. So this Strongly Worded Letter™ successfully resulted in eBay calling you to give you an unsolicited sales pitch about why you should stay with them, even though they're terrible? I think that falls under the definition of an abusive relationship

2. Someone has to comment on the rank immaturity of the Strongly Worded Letter™ to an internet conglomerate who can well afford to lose you and many others like you. Face it, they haven't been supporting the hobbyist seller for years now - they're just a variation on Amazon's 3rd Party Seller system at this point. Their call to you and other sellers like you is a form of saving face and publicity damage control more than anything else. They want you to come to this forum and point out they did something about your angry letter; it makes them sound as if they care. They don't.

-Kurt
Why the passive agressive routine ? First off you attempt to ridcule someone Online simply for standing up for an obvious grievance that is being experienced by many Sellers, and then when you realize you look like a total internet know it all Clown, you backtrack.

Lighten up Son, this is the Internet,,its Not Real, and its all in good fun ...Now where do I send that box of Kleenex ?
Old 09-23-22, 07:38 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Strange interaction, that last one... I took Kurt's original post totally tongue-in-cheek. I concur with the phunny bone bit (which apparently Kurt edited out of his post above).

Also, why do you Capitalize so many Random Words in your Posts, Manny?

-Gregory
Because I can,,, why does it bother You ? I Can Stop doing It if You ask Politely.
Old 09-23-22, 08:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Lighten up Son, this is the Internet,,its Not Real, and its all in good fun ...
This is literally a thread about eBay and tax laws. This is the Internet...and it's Very Real.

I'll leave it at that for the good of all of us in this thread.

Now where do I send that box of Kleenex ?
To your doorstep, along with the advice to lighten up.

-Kurt

/flamewar - back to the regularly scheduled eBay caterwauling.

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-23-22, 07:40 PM
Manny66 

This is literally a thread about eBay and tax laws. This is the Internet...and it's Very Real.

I'll leave it at that for the good of all of us in this thread.

To your doorstep, along with the advice to lighten up.

-Kurt

/flamewar - back to the regularly scheduled eBay caterwauling.

WOW, 3 days and you're still here whining about a Letter that I wrote to Ebay that has absolutely nothing to do with You..You are some kind of special.

BTW, Im rescinding that offer of Kleenex and will be writing a "deeply Heartfelt"Letter to Dr, Phil in hopes that he's able to help you with that serious Emotional Distress Issue that my sImple ,"Strongly Worded" letter to Ebay has caused you.

Im rooting for you son, hope that my letter gets thru to Dr. Phil like it got thru to Ebay and we get some action. Hang in there little buddy.
Old 09-23-22, 07:47 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I have no involvement in this thread and I’m offended.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 09-23-22, 08:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

WOW, 3 days and you're still here whining about a Letter that I wrote to Ebay that has absolutely nothing to do with You..
On the contrary, it does. This is a discussion forum. In this discussion thread, you suggested that eBay actually cares about independent sellers doing this for a hobby. I disagreed. So did wrk101. By virtue of this being a discussion, you're going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with your perception of eBay.

Just because their customer service department operates in a manner to make you think they care, they have no track record to suggest Strongly Worded Letters have resulted in any adjustment of their policies to support the hobbyist. It is irresponsible to suggest otherwise. Same goes for everyone here sharing tax advice, with exception to those who are actual CPAs.

eBay hasn't cared ever since Buyer Protection was put in place years ago. Period.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-23-22 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 10:32 PM
Manny66 

On the contrary, it does. This is a discussion forum. In this discussion thread, you suggested that eBay actually cares about independent sellers doing this for a hobby. I disagreed. So did wrk101. By virtue of this being a discussion, you're going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with your perception of eBay.

Just because their customer service department operates in a manner to make you think they care, they have no track record to suggest Strongly Worded Letters have resulted in any adjustment of their policies to support the hobbyist. It is irresponsible to suggest otherwise. Same goes for everyone here sharing tax advice, with exception to those who are actual CPAs.

eBay hasn't cared ever since Buyer Protection was put in place years ago. Period.

-Kurt

Still at it ? WOW,, feel free to quote me where I posted about Ebay caring about anything or about anyone having a selling Hobby... I'll be waiting.

Oh yeah, Dr. Phil responded using a homing pidgeon,,, he said he cant make it to your Intervention, but that I should try contacting Dr. Seuss to aid in your severe Emotional condition.
Old 09-23-22, 11:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
The King had it right....

Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-24-22, 03:55 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 113 Posts
My last straw was when I sold perfectly functioning TA cranks, they were then assembled by the buyer and after 20 days the buyer removed the cranks and said they were stripped. I believe they used the wrong crank remover and stripped them. Ebay sided w the buyer and I was out shipping both ways with damaged goods. I still buy, however not worth the hassle to sell.
Likes For Vonruden:
Old 09-24-22, 04:13 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
I've had to use buyer protection a few times, but both times it was with a seller who offered up alternate facts floating in an alternate reality, but were able to move freely enough in this world to make it as drawn out and painfull a process as possible. I've also contacted sellers about a honest mistake issues that warranted a return and got an instant "here's a refund, keep the item and go with god" response, which is "nice" but concerning when I think about starting to sell.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-24-22, 08:08 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've also contacted sellers about a honest mistake issues that warranted a return and got an instant "here's a refund, keep the item and go with god" response, which is "nice" but concerning when I think about starting to sell.
Even as a buyer, these types of refunds hurt, because I know what it can do on the seller's end if they're a small time hobbyist.

Perhaps the worst part about it is how Amazon set this precedent for the entirety of internet sales by catering to the whim of buyer emotional satisfaction with each transaction; any and all disappointments must result in an instant refund. While I'm sure many of us like this feature as buyers (or are enticed by it even though we know what it requires of sellers), it just opens the door up wide to every other buyer trying to scam off small items.

My favorite (read = worst) interaction was some pre-pubescent lowlife who got pissed off when a partially-complete (missing lower jockey wheel) and otherwise NOS Huret Duopar derailer I sold didn't have the "nut" to secure the hanger bolt. He wouldn't accept anything (including a return) other than for me to send him the nut - which was clearly not part of the listing and not actually spec'ed on the Campagnolo dropout version of that derailer. Absolutely no explanation would convince that son of a Huffy otherwise. He either knew exactly what he was doing or was denser than lead.

The icing on the cake is that at least one C&V'er was a complete arseholes about it too when I asked the collective knowledgebase here (just to be 100% sure I wasn't wrong): https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-top-bolt.html

That one really soured me on selling for a long time. It also soured me on this forum a bit, but I've grown to enjoy being called someone with a "severe emotional condition" for having a differing opinion.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-24-22 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 08:13 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,441 Posts
Manny66, enough. I know your comments are tongue-in-cheek but they are distracting to the thread. Thanks.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 09-24-22, 08:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have bought and continue to buy some parts and consumables on eBay. I have an account that is many tears old and have a 100% feedback rating on both buying and selling many transactions. I try not to sell because the fees are heavy and they have, on a few occasions held my money for a month, after deducting their fees immediately. On one occasion the buyer picked up the item and left positive feedback while he was at my place picking up the item. I had given him a lot of extras that were not on the listing as he was a really nice guy and we are still friends to this day , two years later. He and I both wrote messages to both eBay and PayPal asking them to release the funds to which they said “no”. They claimed that it was policy . They lost two potential sellers with that policy and I am sure many others as well.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-24-22, 12:06 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I have an eBay account that is many tears old.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-24-22, 12:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
My last straw was when I sold perfectly functioning TA cranks, they were then assembled by the buyer and after 20 days the buyer removed the cranks and said they were stripped. I believe they used the wrong crank remover and stripped them. Ebay sided w the buyer and I was out shipping both ways with damaged goods. I still buy, however not worth the hassle to sell.
ouch.
Old 09-24-22, 12:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've had to use buyer protection a few times, but both times it was with a seller who offered up alternate facts floating in an alternate reality, but were able to move freely enough in this world to make it as drawn out and painfull a process as possible. I've also contacted sellers about a honest mistake issues that warranted a return and got an instant "here's a refund, keep the item and go with god" response, which is "nice" but concerning when I think about starting to sell.
I won an auction for a bike, paid promptly and crickets. Then, if you offered me $600 more I would consider selling! I reported the extortion attempt to eBay, I finally got a reply, we will give him a black mark and request a refund.
took 6 weeks to get my money back. As PayPal and eBay separated, the handshake is troubled that way also.

if the guy had a minimum amount to get beyond his sentimental value, place a reserve.
bike had faults I could tell from images but undisclosed, mismatched crank arms and such.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-24-22, 01:27 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by Vonruden
I had a very similar situation like yours , purchased items that seemed to be deliberately damaged by the buyer to initiate a refund benefitting them. After the third similar issue I stopped selling anything on Ebay.
Old 09-24-22, 01:30 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Manny66, enough. I know your comments are tongue-in-cheek but they are distracting to the thread. Thanks.

Duly noted, now make sure and publicly reprimend the other guy for the personal attacks over my simple post. That type of nonsense is not needed as well.
Old 09-24-22, 02:05 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Typo Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-24-22, 02:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Maybe you missed my earlier post where I identified myself as a CPA.
The advice from your lawyer friends would only pertain to somebody already filing a Schedule C, like for a sole proprietor-type business.
At least, if that person files revenue in excess all 1099's given to him.
But somebody who gets their $3,000 1099-K from eBay, who fails to file a Schedule C will typically get a bill from the IRS.
That bill will treat the entire revenue as taxable. There's no simple explanation to make it go away. The IRS will require an amended 1040.
A Schedule C takes minutes to complete and, most times, you can bring the profit to nil.
I am not referring to tax audits, which are super rare. Just the normal triggering caused by a 1099.
and to note, no humans are involved it is all computer based (ie. ebay electronically sends 1099, which get compared to same year return, mismatch means computer calculates and sends a letter
and heaven help trying to get in touch with a human being at the IRS with their current staffing levels.

no I am not a cpa, but I spend more hours than I care to think about trying to fix an issue (yes I made an error in filing, corrected per IRS instruction and after a year hanging on the phone still did resolve it in the way I hoped to)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-24-22, 02:30 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Keeping myself in check - just because others use personal attacks to make their point doesn't give me the right to respond in kind. Two wrongs do not make a right.

-Kurt
You just reminded me of the time in my teenage days when a joke I was telling fell flat because the guy I was telling it to came up with a better punch line before I could deliver mine.

Mine: "Two Wongs don't make a white."

His: "Occidents will happen."
Old 09-24-22, 02:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Mine: "Two Wongs don't make a white."

His: "Occidents will happen."

-Kurt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.