Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 06:22 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Did even better than that, went on a cruise. (Actually just a nice kayak loop around the south bays. Ive taken up kayaking this summer, its a nice alternative).
Ha, that might well be the next rabbit hole I fall into. One of my cycling/backpacking partners in crime and myself are investigating/mulling/conspiring to get into kayaking. Wives are unenthusiastic; his says he has enough toys (blasphemy), mine knows I have the swimming proficiency of a bowling ball. These obstacles can be overcome.

Any tips are appreciated!
Old 09-20-22, 06:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Ha, that might well be the next rabbit hole I fall into. One of my cycling/backpacking partners in crime and myself are investigating/mulling/conspiring to get into kayaking. Wives are unenthusiastic; his says he has enough toys (blasphemy), mine knows I have the swimming proficiency of a bowling ball. These obstacles can be overcome.

Ive lived on the south shore since "88 and am amazed at how many great places there are to take a kayak that I just never paid attention too. There are 10 or so launch locations between 5 Towns and Captree. I spent the summer exploring the assorted islands all around the area, saw countless Ospreys, Herons, etc... plus theres Carmens, Nissequoque and the Peconic rivers to explore as well, plus assorted bays all across the north shore. A great alternative activity. Not super expensive, I got a beginners boat at West Marine for $350. Perfect way to start out.

Last edited by Steve B.; 09-21-22 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 06:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm 1 block north of Merrick Road and walking distance to Burns Park where there is a boat ramp. I good friend has 2 and lives on a canal but i've yet taken him up on using them.

Maybe next year.
Old 09-21-22, 08:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Did even better than that, went on a cruise. (Actually just a nice kayak loop around the south bays. Ive taken up kayaking this summer, its a nice alternative).
Nice, Norman Levy has nice kayaking that'll give you a good view of the southern shoreline, located just off the Meadowbrook on Merrick.

Good life vest is a solution to swimming like a bowling ball. Might be out of season but Bellmont lake state park has kayak rentals and lots of little areas to explore on the north side of the lake for a fun but easy tryout, not certain it gets much deeper than a few feet making swimming unnecessary if you mess up and no currents to worry about.
Old 09-22-22, 04:27 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Was headed home thru Bellmore late morning yesterday, stopped for a few minutes, I start hearing an extremely loud fighter jet overhead, sounded like the air show, except its not. I look up and circling over north Bellmore is a single fighter doing a 180. He comes down lower and I can see its an F-15 fighter. I also see a single engine plane flying towards the SE, hoping he knows theres a fighter over his head. The jet eventually heads south towards Jones Beach, but still doing 180's. Eventually the jet flys away.

Seems the single engine private plane had entered restricted NY airspace, due to Biden speaking at the UN and they scrambled a jet from Massachusetts to chase the private plane away. Pretty cool to watch.
Old 09-22-22, 08:45 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Nice, Norman Levy has nice kayaking that'll give you a good view of the southern shoreline, located just off the Meadowbrook on Merrick.

Good life vest is a solution to swimming like a bowling ball. Might be out of season but Bellmont lake state park has kayak rentals and lots of little areas to explore on the north side of the lake for a fun but easy tryout, not certain it gets much deeper than a few feet making swimming unnecessary if you mess up and no currents to worry about.
To use Norman Levy you need to launch and return within an hour of high tide as it has a lot of mud at the launch. As well its a schlep down a barrow and boring canal to the bay. There are other and better launch sites on the south shore IMO.
Old 09-23-22, 09:32 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Good life vest is a solution to swimming like a bowling ball.
Believe me, I'd put on the vest just to gaze at the thing.

Steve we probably just missed one another, we were riding south on Seaman's Neck Rd coming home from the Bethpage meeting place. Some of the south shore contingent don't like the bumpy MUP. One of the riders looked up and said "That's an F-Something".
Old 09-24-22, 07:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Took the oldest and the youngest to Carpenter Cross in PA today for a good workout. The oldest earned 4th, the youngest slammed his finger in the door getting out of the car and earned an x-ray and a broken finger, and couldn't race. I managed to not be last in my first time single speed cross race, have some kinks to still work out like better gearing. Good time in great weather.
Old 09-30-22, 02:07 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Thursday 29 September , 45th Avenue & Parsons Boulevard, Flushing, Queens

Saturday 24 September , at Jamaica LIRR

Saturday 24 September , Jamaica Estates

Thursday 29 September, 151st & Northern Boulevard

45th Avenue & Parsons, Flushing, Queens

45th Ave & Parsons, 29 September 2022

#318 Aerodynamic Touring Bike at county line, on Northern Boulevard, 29 September 2022

I have faith that the crosswalk sign will protect me. Sure.

Two rides to report, 24.99 miles to Jamaica via Hillside Avenue, back on train to Garden City, another 3 miles on Franklin Avenue/Willis Avenue to get to East Williston, due to Mineola being closed.
23.49 miles on 29 September, starting at Jamaica, going north to Flushing via Parsons Boulevard, then returning via Northern Boulevard.
Hillside seems wider than Northern.

Last edited by hotbike; 09-30-22 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 04:25 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Rode to Roslyn before dawn this morning. Video shows dashboard with voltmeter and USB charger.
I’ve lost 40 pounds in the past year, so the cycling definitely helps. Also got blood sugar down to 106 today.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 10-08-22, 08:01 PM
Russ Roth

Headed up the Hudson this morning to Troy for a cross race with the oldest. was a rough course to ride with us both coming off a chest cold but we had a good time.

Steep climbs, rough root sections, and some real high speed sections.
Finished with a top down, miata drive down the Taconic parkway.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-10-22, 06:58 PM
hotbike

Cedar Swamp Road
10 miles today, repeat of last night
I stopped for 35 seconds to peel my orange long-sleeved shirt off. Otherwise I like the video

Last edited by hotbike; 10-11-22 at 01:52 AM.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 10-11-22, 11:56 PM
kaos joe

Getting pretty out there. I'd take this year-round, easy.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 10-15-22, 06:31 AM
hotbike

Solar powered directional indicators, tail lights, headlights. This setup gives my bike good visibility which you need on Jericho Turnpike

CitiBike at the corner of Tulip Avenue and Jericho Turnpike in Floral Park

Rode 30 miles Friday, to Elmont and return. Spotted a rogue CitiBike in Floral Park.
Old 10-15-22, 06:32 AM
hotbike

Solar powered directional indicators, tail lights, headlights. This setup gives my bike good visibility which you need on Jericho Turnpike

CitiBike at the corner of Tulip Avenue and Jericho Turnpike in Floral Park

Rode 30 miles Friday, to Elmont and return. Spotted a rogue CitiBike in Floral Park.
Old 10-15-22, 12:32 PM
kaos joe

2 beach days. Rode the tandem along the opposite shore this warm morning but no pics.

Old 10-18-22, 08:47 AM
hotbike

Getting pretty out there. I'd take this year-round, easy.

OTOH, maybe this is a good time to remind cyclists to look out for wet leaves, they can be very slippery especially when cornering or braking.
Old 10-18-22, 08:50 AM
hotbike

The M317 with the Lowrider inspired seat

M317 hauled in $60.00 of scrap AZEK

Doing good. Rode before dawn yesterday. Got home just before the rain started.
Old 10-18-22, 02:51 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by hotbike
OTOH, maybe this is a good time to remind cyclists to look out for wet leaves, they can be very slippery especially when cornering or braking.
Breaking out backpack and boots for a couple of days.......I'll watch out for them there leaves for sure.

Water looks colder to me somehow.

Old 10-20-22, 02:44 PM
hotbike

Big Cargo Bike Raked leaves along the Bayville-Oyster Bay Esplanade Joggers said thank you.

Oyster Bay harbormaster

Stone tablet at Roosevelt Park

Rode through Bayville today, tried to clean up the esplanade between OB and Bayville that is popular with joggers, walkers, and runners
Old 10-20-22, 11:34 PM
kaos joe

Any of y'all who ride Harriman St. Park, now's the time. Foliage seems to be about peak and it's beautiful. An added potential bonus is that Arden Valley Rd is closed at the western (RT 17) end so there is no through traffic, and we saw many roadies taking advantage of the almost car-free conditions. It's a workout of a road, though!

Now, you won't be getting to any of these spots on a bike, but enjoy the colors.

Old 10-22-22, 10:06 AM
hotbike

Bag of goodies from Hmart in Jericho

Rode 22 miles to get breakfast food now that you can’t get Jones Sausage anymore.

Found more streets parallel to Glen Cove road
Old 10-26-22, 05:49 PM
kaos joe

Nice afternoon.

Old 10-27-22, 02:36 PM
kaos joe

Today, the opposite shore. I don't know how many 54 mile rides in shorts 2022 has left.

Emerald green water, Kings Park NY
Old 10-29-22, 09:11 PM
Russ Roth

Headed only slightly north to Croton Point Park for the newest "local" cross race and brought along the family. Since no jr. girls had registered with only a couple hours left, I registered my 12yo with the Cat4/5 women and my wife decided to race against her. End result is Liv beat her mother but just over a minute on what was a reasonably tough course. Fortunately I'm riding enough my time over over the same number of laps was just over 7 min faster so she'll be chasing me a little longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.