Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

attempted break-in, any ideas about security cameras?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-02-22, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

I let our local Police know & they asked if we had surveillance video. We don't. Any ideas about security cameras?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-25-22 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Any ideas about security cameras?
You should probably get some. Harbor Freight has a 8 channel security DVR that comes with 4 cameras for cheap. I have one and the video is very good. Added 4 other cameras I found elsewhere for a better price than HF sells additional CCTV cams.

I got the wired system as I'm use to running cabling in homes. So usually they are less expensive. If you don't get along well with technical computer setup, you probably need to get something more user friendly. It's a beast to set up correctly and use all the features it's capable of.

I have the doorbell cams too, front and back, but I'm less happy with them. Well placed CCTV cams can show a lot more.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-02-22 at 08:56 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-02-22, 09:11 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I have Arlo wireless. It’s easy to install and gives the option to place a camera on a tree if needed. I have the model that downloads to a jump drive on the base station; no monthly fees.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 09-02-22, 09:14 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I have a Ring wireless camera. While it does a good job of telling me what's going on over a wide field, I don't think the resolution is high enough to use for a wanted poster, which I think is important. Most of the cameras I've seen, if they cover a wide area don't have high enough resolution to be useful for identity. Probably something with a more limited width of field would be more useful.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 09-02-22, 11:33 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Surveillance systems can be a money pit trying to get exactly what you need. Research is crucial. If you are a DIY type, the IP Cam Talk forum offers some worthy insights. Using the knowledge found there I saved major bucks putting together a system with high-res night eyes. The project reminded me of my high fidelity sound equipment buying days.
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 09-02-22, 05:03 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I may be stating the obvious but cameras are only going to record the crime. It would be best to harden your security. Always, and I mean always, keep everything closed and locked. You neighbor who said they were going to put the slider bar down... they should be doing that whenever the slider is closed. It's not doing any good sitting next to the door. Keep ALL windows closed and locked. You may think you're safe but someone who has the time is going to circumvent your entire property and look for the weakest link and exploit it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 09-02-22, 05:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
We have Ring at home. Doorbell camera, three stickup cameras and the alarm retrofit that uses existing hardwired sensors. I'm quite happy with it but as was mentioned above, the video quality could be a bit better but it isn't awful.

We own an office building just down the street from our home and I installed a SimpliSafe system there. The indoor video camera quality is much better than Ring IMHO. But the outdoor cameras aren't worth a nickel.

Overall I prefer the Ring system. But keep in mind these wireless systems require recharging batteries every so often and they don't record and store continuous activity like the ones Iride01 mentioned. They only record when motion is sensed.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-04-22, 12:09 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I have six SWANN security cameras around my property (including in the garage).

You can set them up to record 24/7 or record by motion and heat activation, with night vision also. The also have built in sensor activated lights and a siren. You can customise the activation sensitivity, sensor zones, siren on/off times, and light modes.

The footage is recorded in full 4K quality to a hard drive "control station" and also uploaded instantly to the cloud. Easily good enough to record faces and number plates, day or night. Footage can be replayed or streamed live to my phone, plus you can set up alerts sent to your phone when anything is detected. It wasn't cheap, but I think it's worth the investment.

It's a "wired" setup so it did take a bit of time and effort to install neatly.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I may be stating the obvious but cameras are only going to record the crime.
^ Also this. Get your place locked down. Keep everything valuable out of sight and locked away when not in use.

​​​​​​​Get a big ass barky guard dog. 😁
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-04-22, 05:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
If someone breaks into your shed and steals a couple bikes, it won’t matter that you have video footage. The cops don’t give a ****. That is petty crime to them. They’re just gonna file a report so you have something to send to your insurance company. Best solution is bigger locks and stronger doors.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-05-22, 05:36 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 65 Posts
We've been pretty happy with Wyze cameras. They're inexpensive, and easy to set up. I think the cameras were about $25 each. The cost was low enough for us to just try them out, now we have about four of them, plus the controllable plugs (great for Christmas tree) and a few of their LED light bulbs. We can view any of the cameras remotely, they notify if sound or movement is detected, and we can talk through the camera, but I suppose they all have these features.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 09-05-22, 08:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I guess there's a benefit of keeping our back patio light on now. we get cool bugs like this praying mantis

Old 09-05-22, 03:25 PM
rumrunn6

experimenting w a Wyze v3 wireless outdoor camera

just tried to make 1 minor spelling edit & this whole post went haywire, ugh. deleted everything. wtf?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-07-22 at 03:47 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-05-22, 07:45 PM
daaave

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If someone breaks into your shed and steals a couple bikes, it won’t matter that you have video footage. The cops don’t give a ****. That is petty crime to them. They’re just gonna file a report so you have something to send to your insurance company. Best solution is bigger locks and stronger doors.
I agree. Plus if you happen to see someone on the footage, good luck proving in a court of law who did it. Just because the thug looks like johnny switchblade, it can be hard to prove that.

What has worked for me in the past.....
Firearm practice. Many criminals are opportunistic with crime. If they hear you practicing with your handgun outside a couple times in the summer, they understand that their chances of getting shot just went up.

Random Security rounds (used to work in a prison). Sounds dumb, but i'll do a walk around the property once a day I have a mental check list of what is where. i will leave certain worthless items outside sometimes and memorize where i left them exactly just to see if it gets moved.

Make eye contact and say hi to all your neighbors or people walking by. Criminals will case houses during the day by walking by, driving by, biking by, walking their dog, or pretending to be a solicitor. Anytime anyone walks by my house and i'm outside, i make eye contact and say hello. Make a comment about one of their attributes, nice tat bruh, or hey i like your shoes, where'd ya get that jacket, whats your name, where ya from.. The criminal will write you off because you have now seen him. The more you know him, the less he will rob you.

Get in shape. Every criminal i know sizes up everyone they come in contact with. If you're some fat flabby dad bod cheeseburger body walking around, that's easy prey.
Likes For daaave:
Old 09-05-22, 08:38 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
While a camera will record the event why not install some led solar lights with a motion detector? Light up the area like it is daylight when something trips the sensor. I think that might get someone’s attention.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 09-06-22, 03:50 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Bmach
While a camera will record the event why not install some led solar lights with a motion detector? Light up the area like it is daylight when something trips the sensor. I think that might get someone’s attention.
I can activate the motion-activated alarm if I want to
Old 09-09-22, 06:59 AM
rumrunn6

Well I have some partial good news. I can't explain the light my neighbor saw but I found out our Son stopped by the house & he moved the tarp to put a small fridge in our basement. We thought we was just going to bring a cpl boxes down the inside stairs.
still curious who our neighbor saw or thinks she saw at 2:20am. maybe it was a UFO?
Old 09-09-22, 09:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Well I have some partial good news. I can't explain the light my neighbor saw but I found out our Son stopped by the house & he moved the tarp to put a small fridge in our basement. We thought we was just going to bring a cpl boxes down the inside stairs.
still curious who our neighbor saw or thinks she saw at 2:20am. maybe it was a UFO?
Okay, so no one actually tried to break into your place, and some random headlights (or a late night dog walker's flashlight) shined into your neighbor's window.

All is well.
Old 09-10-22, 04:40 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Koyote
Okay, so no one actually tried to break into your place, and some random headlights (or a late night dog walker's flashlight) shined into your neighbor's window.All is well.
right, right. but I think I'll keep the new camera for now cuz, it's a new toy. thinking about setting up the 2nd cam focused on my cat's chair
Old 09-28-22, 04:40 PM
rumrunn6

well, turns out, we do have a neighbor w/ a flashlight. 12:15am nite before garbage day, innocent enough, taking their can out

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-31-22 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-29-22, 01:28 PM
mdo53

Bikes: 2022 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Ring... indoor is great and outdoor is good in daytime
Old 11-11-22, 01:00 PM
rumrunn6

security cameras catch the funny things too
Likes For rumrunn6: