Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Top quality mechanical disc brakes short list

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-12-22, 09:15 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I recently added a basic adventure bike with a 2x10-Speed Shimano Tiagra groupset and Lyra mechanical disc brakes from Tektro. While I wanted mechanical disc brakes to help simplify set-up and maintenance, the reviews on the Tektro Lyra brakes are consistently negative. What replacement flat mount mechanical calipers would you recommend? I'm researching Paul Klampers and TRP HY/RD but will consider other advanced alternatives.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-12-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-12-22, 09:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
AFAIK the TRP Spyre is considered to be the best functioning purely mechanical brake. You might research how it differs from the Lyra.
I think the Spyre features better pad clearance adjustment than most others.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-12-22, 02:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Paul's are beyond my reach, but they and Spyre are the only ones worth considering, IMO.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-12-22, 02:50 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
AFAIK the TRP Spyre is considered to be the best functioning purely mechanical brake. You might research how it differs from the Lyra.
I think the Spyre features better pad clearance adjustment than most others.
Spyre are a dual piston mechanical, and this is a key advantage. Most mechanical calipers are a single piston pushing against one pad. The other pad makes contact with the disc only after the piston presses the disc between the two pads.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 02-12-22, 04:33 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Juin Tech GT-F 4piston.
Old 02-12-22, 05:00 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The HY/RD's are super simple to setup and maintain, and they work almost as well as fully hydraulic brakes with compressionless housing and cables in good order. The only problem with them really is that if you ride a ton of miles and / or frequently in poor weather, the cost of replacing good quality housing more frequently negates the cost savings compared to full hydraulic. They will, however, still be much easier to setup and adjust for people that are only familiar with cable brakes.
Likes For zen_:
Old 02-12-22, 07:15 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I'm running Juin Tech R1 on my Fog Cutter and they have been trouble free for over 4000 miles. I like the easier lever pull from the tops vs a full mechanical like the BB7, sort of in the middle of mechanical and full hydro. I don't have any experience with the Spyre.

I recently put on a set of Paul Klampers on my mountain bike, but don't have enough riding time to give an opinion.
Likes For katsup:
Old 02-13-22, 06:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Tektro MD-C550 is the OEM version of the TRP Spyre brake. They can be found for a significantly lower price than the Spyres and they are functionally the same brake. The only difference I can find, besides cosmetic appearance, is that they use a cotter pin to retain the pads and the Spyres use a bolt. I got the pair of calipers with rotors for around $100 on eBay. They are the best mechanical disc brakes that I have used.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-13-22, 07:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Yeah, Juin Tech GT get good reviews, as do the Yokozuna Ultimo.

I have to say, though, that I rode Avid BB7 for 15 years and was not dissatisfied with them. I think the BB7 variants often get overlooked because they were one of the first, but depending on what you need and want, are still good options.

Last edited by chaadster; 02-13-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 08:59 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by dsaul
Tektro MD-C550 is the OEM version of the TRP Spyre brake. They can be found for a significantly lower price than the Spyres and they are functionally the same brake. The only difference I can find, besides cosmetic appearance, is that they use a cotter pin to retain the pads and the Spyres use a bolt. I got the pair of calipers with rotors for around $100 on eBay. They are the best mechanical disc brakes that I have used.
Thank's, definitely worth an investigation. While I like the design of the Hy/Rd, I'm beginning to think the large price premium for the Hy/Rd is not fully justified. Did you go with the supplied pads or did you upgrade to something better?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-13-22 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 09:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
BB7s are the original and the best, everything else is just trying to re-invent a wheel.
Old 02-13-22, 10:08 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Evidently, Avid designed the BB7 to do two things: make noise and require daily adjustment. The only good thing I can say about them is that they're better than BB5s. I'd rather run cantis than either one.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-13-22, 10:39 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I've used BB7s, Spyres, and Klampers. Klampers are hands down the best of the bunch. I was skeptical because of the price, but man they feel great. For drop bar disc I'd rate brakes in this order: Shimano hydro > Paul Klampers > Sram hydro > everything else I've tried.
Old 02-13-22, 01:08 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Thank's, definitely worth an investigation. While I like the design of the Hy/Rd, I'm beginning to think the large price premium for the Hy/Rd is not fully justified. Did you go with the supplied pads or did you upgrade to something better?

I used the supplied pads for a while, but I really like the Kevlar pads from DiscoBrakes. so I switched to them. The supplied pads are good and I didn't have any issues with them, but the Kevlar pads stop a bit better and make it feel more like a Hydraulic brake.
Old 02-14-22, 07:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I recently added a basic adventure bike with a 2x10-Speed Shimano Tiagra groupset and Lyra mechanical disc brakes from Tektro. While I wanted mechanical disc brakes to help simplify set-up and maintenance, the reviews on the Tektro Lyra brakes are consistently negative. What replacement flat mount mechanical calipers would you recommend? I'm researching Paul Klampers and TRP HY/RD but will consider other advanced alternatives.
Have you actually tried the bike with these brakes, to see if the reviews are accurate?
Old 02-15-22, 03:18 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Use BB7 on gravel bike and TRP Spyre (flat mount) on road bike at the moment.

Both work, but prefer TRP Spyres which I really like. I've upgraded the group from 105 to Dura-ace but didn't feel like changing the brakes to hydraulic (will do electronic+hydraulic for next bike). Running XT 160mm rotors on both.

The TRP Spyres you won't regret.

​​​​​
Likes For Branko D:
Old 02-15-22, 07:39 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I had good luck with BB-7s and the Tektro equivalent, I highly recommend compression-less housing. But eventually you will want hydraulic, unless it interferes with air/train/ground travel.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 02-16-22, 08:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

I’ve never ridden Spyres, but the hooded upper/pad bolt area seems like something nice for gravel riding, keeping mud from piling up directly atop the pads and pistons. Maybe a small thing, but a nice, quality touch, IMO.
Old 02-16-22, 04:11 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
I’ve got some BB5s on my road bike that gets pretty light usage so they are adequate. Not crazy about the gap you have to run in order to prevent drag and the resultant slack in brake contact so the other day I bought a set of TRP hy-roads for a good price. They seem like a very well made piece but god they are heavy. I’m not a weight weenie per se, but I don’t really want to bolt those things on too badly.
Old 02-17-22, 01:04 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by venturi95
I had good luck with BB-7s and the Tektro equivalent, I highly recommend compression-less housing. But eventually you will want hydraulic, unless it interferes with air/train/ground travel.
Yes, full hydraulic has real benefits, especially lever effort and feel. I have two bikes with Shimano hydraulic shifters and brakes. I wanted this bike to have mechanical brakes. I will transport this bike on planes and trains. It will be used on tours and I won't have tools or brake fluid with me.
Old 02-18-22, 07:29 AM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I have BB7, dont have much problems with them, actually I dont have to adjust them often, maybe once a month I fiddle with dials and not because they are off or not breaking I but I ride mostly flat roads. Having said that, yesterday ordered Juin Tech R1, lets see in couple of weeks if they will be better.
Old 02-18-22, 11:03 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ve never ridden Spyres, but the hooded upper/pad bolt area seems like something nice for gravel riding, keeping mud from piling up directly atop the pads and pistons. Maybe a small thing, but a nice, quality touch, IMO.
It doesn't do anything.
Old 02-18-22, 11:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by shoota
It doesn't do anything.
What do you mean? It does cover the top opening of the caliper, so it seems like it would impede ingress of water and particulates, which should be a good thing since I don’t believe the Spyres have any seals for the balls/cam/piston which moves the pad.

If you’re saying that’s a non-issue, well perhaps; I don’t know because I have no experience with them, but I took apart one of my BB7 once— just once was enough! There are lot of bits in those things!— and they have outer and inner seals on the piston side which may have been a factor in why I never had to rebuild them in the 16 years I ran them. I mean I did the one, but mostly out of curiosity, not because the action was gritchy or grindy.
Old 02-18-22, 11:45 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
What do you mean? It does cover the top opening of the caliper, so it seems like it would impede ingress of water and particulates, which should be a good thing since I don’t believe the Spyres have any seals for the balls/cam/piston which moves the pad.

If you’re saying that’s a non-issue, well perhaps; I don’t know because I have no experience with them, but I took apart one of my BB7 once— just once was enough! There are lot of bits in those things!— and they have outer and inner seals on the piston side which may have been a factor in why I never had to rebuild them in the 16 years I ran them. I mean I did the one, but mostly out of curiosity, not because the action was gritchy or grindy.
I guess what I'm saying is, yeah maybe they keep some stuff out but if conditions are bad enough (like Mid South), then in the end it doesn't matter, they'll get messed up. Also, the covers fall off easily. Also, they don't cover the "arms" and like you said those are hard to clean out. I have a set that don't retract fully because the arm pivots are compromised with sand and grit.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-18-22, 11:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by shoota
I guess what I'm saying is, yeah maybe they keep some stuff out but if conditions are bad enough (like Mid South), then in the end it doesn't matter, they'll get messed up. Also, the covers fall off easily. Also, they don't cover the "arms" and like you said those are hard to clean out. I have a set that don't retract fully because the arm pivots are compromised with sand and grit.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.