Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wheelset weight limit

Old 08-23-22, 03:51 PM
raylinds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Wheelset weight limit

I have ballooned up to 280 during Covid, having always been under 250. The main part of my weight loss plan involves getting back to cycling after 10+ years away.

I bought a bike with Roval CL 40 Carbon Disc wheels rate at a 240 limit. My question is would people here feel okay on these on good roads until I get back to the weight limit. I am sure there is some safety factor in the stated limits, but am unsure how much.

My other options is to change out the wheelset until I lose the weight (expensive) or stick to using the Elite Suito indoor trainer until I am light enough.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 08-23-22, 08:04 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
I was 265 lbs. when I began cycling in June 2017. I'd lost down to 250 by August 2018 when I bought a new-to-me 2015 Cannondale Synapse that had/has Reynolds carbon wheels. I did my research and found that Reynolds carbon wheels have NO weight limit!

I have 22,575 miles on those wheels after tonight's ride and have had ZERO problems. Never a broken spoke or wheel out of line, etc. I did have the rear hub bearings repacked sometime in the last year when the hub got some noise to it, but that's just general maintenance.

Good luck!

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 08-24-22, 02:15 PM
raylinds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
The Reynolds is a good suggestion but would cost over a grand.

It is going to be in mid 80s to 90s for next few weeks, so I am going to set up my indoor trainer (rear wheel is removed). Hopefully I can shed some pounds with the exercise and some dieting over next month. I am changing to 28mm wide tires and will lower pressure slightly to get more cushion and will ride carefully to avoid bumps.

Worst case scenario is I damage a rim and then I can justify the Reynolds!
Likes For raylinds:
Old 08-24-22, 02:31 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
You'll probably be fine, but I'd check craigslist/facebook marketplace for used wheels. I got a nice set of used wheels with alloy rims on one of those for ~$100. Even had tubes, tires (Continental Gatorskins, so not the most supple) and a cassette. Save the nice wheels for later.
Likes For himespau: