Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Blue Loctite, where if at all?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 06:59 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

After removing/cleaning rear disc caliper, I added a bit of blue loctite to mounting threads. Bad idea?

Over time, most everything on my bikes is, at various times, removed, cleaned and greased. Loctite can make parts difficult to remove, possibly striping hex heads. So I don't use it except on some things like brake mountings. Is the blue stuff a bad idea in general on any bike bolts? Rather, I should instead just set the bolts properly tight and check stuff now and then for looseness.
Old 08-29-22, 07:44 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 848 Posts
blue loctite is great as it also acts as a anti-seize agent making it possible to remove bolts that would otherwise corrode especially on two dis-similar metals. Blue loctite does not make it impossible to remove without heat like red loctite does.
Old 08-29-22, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I've never used loctite or any thread locker on a bike. If it's already pre-installed on a bolt or screw of something new you are putting on, then by all means use that. If you have something that keeps getting loose after being properly tightened, then sure, give thread locker a try.

Most screws and nuts have been staying on securely without thread lockers for a very long time.
Old 08-29-22, 09:01 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I use only blue and only on bolts where is was used as a preinstall method. There are only a few of those.
Old 08-29-22, 10:16 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
The only Loctite product that I've used is Loctite 660 - used it a few years back to solve a creaking issue at the BB when honking up gradual grades - put a small amount on each surface of a Chorus tapered BB bearing where the cups slide on , letting it cure overnight - was at the recommendation of a friend and great bike mechanic - worked wonders and solved the issue - personally wouldn't mess with Loctite willy nilly .
Old 08-29-22, 10:26 AM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I can’t see that much downside to using blue Loctite on many fasteners — stem, seatpost, brake mounts, etc. I’m not sure it’s necessary for most of those fasteners, assuming that they have been properly torqued, but by the same token I can’t see any harm, either.

Where would I insist on it? Rotor bolts, chainring bolts, and crank arm pinch bolts are a few places that come to mind.
Old 08-29-22, 10:44 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
For anyone planning to buy blue Loctite I recommend 243 rather than 242. Same strength but it will tolerate a bit of oil or grease on the thread
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 08-29-22, 10:51 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by byscott
I can’t see that much downside to using blue Loctite on many fasteners — stem, seatpost, brake mounts, etc. I’m not sure it’s necessary for most of those fasteners, assuming that they have been properly torqued, but by the same token I can’t see any harm, either.

Where would I insist on it? Rotor bolts, chainring bolts, and crank arm pinch bolts are a few places that come to mind.
I don't know rotors. The two crank arm pinch bolts need grease and a torque wrench. Then they won't get loose. Grease and torque on the stem bolts. I've never needed to do chainring bolts, but grease sounds correct there too.

I do use loctite on bottle cage bolts and on blinky light clamps. I don't want to tighten those too much, and the thread locker is good there.
Loctite on my adventure bike's fender and rear rack bolts.
Old 08-29-22, 11:49 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Use only an amount that will spread over several threads. If you flood a long thin bolt, you may have serious problems unscrewing that bolt without damage even when you use the blue Loctite. there is also a fallback option of purple Loctite, with a still weaker holding power than the blue.
Old 08-29-22, 12:45 PM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I don't know rotors. The two crank arm pinch bolts need grease and a torque wrench. Then they won't get loose. Grease and torque on the stem bolts. I've never needed to do chainring bolts, but grease sounds correct there too.

I do use loctite on bottle cage bolts and on blinky light clamps. I don't want to tighten those too much, and the thread locker is good there.
Loctite on my adventure bike's fender and rear rack bolts.
No argument there, I guess. The bottom line is probably that properly torqued fasteners are unlikely to come loose, though I do notice that I’ve received several rotor bolts with thread lock pre-applied. I think I had some FSA pinch bolts with thread lock pre-applied also, though I could be mistaken.

I’ve always assumed that many fasteners will need some sort of compound or lubricant — grease, anti-seize, or thread lock — as a consequence of being inserted into a dissimilar material. It’s usually a steel fastener in an aluminum part. That takes us to the “grease vs anti-seize” discussion, which I think has been beaten to death in several other threads ;-)

FWIW, I would never argue with someone who uses “rm -rf” as a handle <g>.
Likes For byscott:
Old 08-29-22, 12:54 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I will use blue medium strength thread locker on canti or v-brake mounting bolts. The canti brake studs get a very thin film of grease to prevent corrosion. Also use the same medium strength thread locker for disc brake caliper mounting bolts and the rotor bolts, just as a preventive for stuff to vibrate loose and act as a barrier against metal on metal contact.
Old 08-29-22, 01:07 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Touch the head of a screw/bolt with a soldering iron and blue loctite will release easily, commonly done on small screws in firearms. Even with proper torquing for safety I use blue on my daughters and granddaughters bikes stems and crank bolts.
Old 08-29-22, 08:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26404 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...on a bicycle, I think I only use blue Loctite on fixed BB cups that are RH threaded (Italian, French). But I use it routinely on those.
Old 08-29-22, 10:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Things I have successfully used instead of Loctite: Elmers, FIngernail Pollish, Linseed Oil, Pipetite-Stik pipe thread sealer

Just remember that your not supposed to cover the entire length of the bolt.
Old 09-01-22, 11:27 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I used blue locktite on my one and only Italian bottom bracket. It works. Theoretically not needed with proper torquing, but the first time I installed it, it worked loose and I didn't want to mess with it, so the locktite.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 09-02-22, 12:07 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If at all

on things that keep coming loose after torquing to spec

or if something small is stripped
and there is no room to use a larger bolt a little would help there too

thats about it
Old 09-02-22, 06:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Most bolts just get grease. I'll use Loctite on rack mounting bolts and perhaps water bottle cage bolts. I've seen Loctite on new clipless cleats, but if I have to remove or replace those bolts they're probably near end of life, so I'll grease them and hope I can get them out when the cleat dies. I think I've seen Loctite on some new threadless stem bolts, but again, they'll get grease from me on a re-install.
Old 09-02-22, 08:41 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Touch the head of a screw/bolt with a soldering iron and blue loctite will release easily,
So given the hear of the disc rotor, would the rotor bolts self-release?
Old 09-02-22, 10:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

For lead based solder you need to get to 700ºF and irons will do that. Rotor temps vary a lot with disc size and use but on serious downhill mtb runs I have heard of over 200ºF. I believe cars/trucks can go twice that and in Nascar runs at night the rotors can glow red which means Blue would be long gone.
Old 09-02-22, 10:11 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Touch the head of a screw/bolt with a soldering iron and blue loctite will release easily, commonly done on small screws in firearms. Even with proper torquing for safety I use blue on my daughters and granddaughters bikes stems and crank bolts.
A trick is to heat any fastener until you smell Loctite, and remove heat. It can only be a second or two.
Old 09-03-22, 07:53 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I find the blue Loctite 248, the stuff that comes in a stick form, to last longer in storage than the liquid version. Easier to apply too.
Old 09-03-22, 08:02 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by But its me
I find the blue Loctite 248, the stuff that comes in a stick form, to last longer in storage than the liquid version. Easier to apply too.
You can typically dilute liquid Loctite with acetone. It is usually superglue with some additives.
Old 09-03-22, 08:10 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
You can typically dilute liquid Loctite with acetone. It is usually superglue with some additives.
I found it thinned with age, oddly enough. Always wondered if it picked up contamination from the applicator tip, such as grease. Either way, the stick is the only stuff I use now.
Old 09-03-22, 09:04 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by But its me
Either way, the stick is the only stuff I use now.
I have the stick version for one of them, maybe red. Following this discussion I will try it when an occasion occurs. One benefit for the liquid ones, I found, is that you can buy them in large containers and pour into small for the road. Sometimes I am stuck at remote locations without much infrastructure and small quantities of Loctite go into my toolbox.
Old 09-05-22, 06:42 AM
easyupbug 

Red Loctite 262, 263 & 271 and the Red 268 stick are for essentially permanent assembly. I am hyper cautious with the front end of the kids bikes but think these are way over the top. If you like the stick I would go with the medium blue 248 at the most or any of the blue liquids, they will do the job and disassembly will not be an issue.