Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Old 06-08-21, 10:39 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Making fun of an overweight person out exercising makes about as much sense as making fun of a homeless person at a job fair. Who cares what those idiots think? You're doing good for you, and anyone making fun of your for doing so is probably just sitting at home on the couch every day.

I admit I'm a bit self-conscious of my gut when I'm wearing a bike jersey, but hopefully I'll get it shrunk down to where it was before.
Great post.
Old 06-13-21, 07:03 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
When I was real heavy I felt the same way, but always found regular side bike riders gave me support for getting out there and trying to improve my fitness. Get out there and ride.
Old 06-16-21, 09:04 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I'm not so much embarrassed to ride a bike. I'm more embarrassed that I let myself get out of shape and overweight. I think this is one of those struggles that is different for everyone and the worst battle is the one going on in our heads. It was fairly easy for me to get to the point where I just don't care what other people think of me. I've been able to drop some weight but my reality is that I will probably always be a little porky. At this point I'm happy knowing that I've made some changes and that I'm doing my best.
Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 06-16-21, 11:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not a Clyde, but not far from it either. Don't ever worry about what others think or say. For every 1 negative comment you might hear there are 10 others that know you're doing something positive.

In my area, marathon training started last week for the fall marathons. There are teams organized that you can sign up for. Last year we had a big young man in his 30s sign up for the training team I'm on. He's a big guy. That team runs close to 600 miles in total training up to the marathon in November. During the course of the training, He revealed to me that he had lost around 100lbs before the training started. He still weighed 300+ when training started. He was a warrior! Never cut it short on any of the runs even when we were doing the 15-20 mile weekend runs. He'd go out early with a coach so that he'd finish with the rest of the group. On marathon day he went out way early to beat the heat. Most of the team/coaches sat around and waited for him to finish. Then, we went out and walked in to the finish with him. He had family that crossed the line with him as well. He made it in. It was pretty inspirational! Everyone that crosses that line knows the struggle.

Now that's a great story, but here's the best part. This past Saturday when we had our first run of this year, there he was ready to do it all over again! Getting cheers and fist pumps from everyone. Now, he's just another veteran team member doing his thing and helping the first timers along.

Don't worry about what other might think. You are doing something positive for you life. That's all that matters. You only have 1 life to live. Get out there and live it!
Old 07-06-21, 02:41 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 217 Posts
I'm 5'10 and hovering around 200 lbs. I'm "sometimes a Clyde".

This week I was having a late lunch outside with my wife, and a bigger dude pedaled by with his young son(?) riding behind him. Here's what I thought seeing him.

1) This is an awesome example to set for his kid, just getting out and riding with him. A lot of parents don't do that, and it's a shame.

2) That's sweet, purpose built, set up he has. Hybrid with wideish tires and a sprung saddle. The saddle is perfect for upright riding with less weight on the bars. It looked like someone who "knows bikes" put it together.

Then, as if he was making a point, he hit a pothole in the road, and he just glided over it. The tires and saddle did their job, he didn't stand on the peddles and unweight the way I need to when hitting a rough patch. Made me think I should find a mountain frame or a hybrid, it looked like a real fun set up!
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 07-06-21, 03:17 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
Today, I was on my (all-steel) Sutra and loaded with panniers, a trunk bag, and handlebar bag (I'm training for a tour so I have to ride loaded). On one of the flat sections, a guy about my age calls 'on your left' and passes me. Not super fast, but I wasn't going to be able to maintain his pace for the 8 miles back to the car. Anyway, we get to one of the short incline sections and he's about 75ft ahead of me at this point. I sense that he's slowing down, and I haven't even geared down yet. Before I know it, I'm calling 'on your left' and overtaking him in the gear I was riding on the flat section.

It spurred a bit of conversation, and he made mention of the extra weight I was carrying on the bike. Of course, I made sure to point out that not all of that extra weight was luggage... And then, back on the flats, he was gone again. But for a few minutes, this Clyde showed that we can move alright!
Old 07-13-21, 02:58 PM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I still feel outa place in a bike shop (hmm ok a bicycle shop).

Been riding again off and on since 2009 (long hiatus since injury in 2012) Started at 350lbs and presently around the 230lbs mark. But truth be told despite the time and the journey I’m still not much of a cyclist. Longest ride I have accomplished since being injured has been 15kms. Last two days I have managed around 12km rides and am pretty proud to say I’m feeling ok (Going to give the leg a rest tomorrow I think).

But at a bike shop I feel almost like an imposter, like I don’t belong. Because I not really pushing the envelope here. My fitness is not on par with “true cyclists”.

I just get on the bike because despite the slightly elevated pain and lack of ability. I still enjoy it. I enjoy my mini victories. And I absolutely love seeing how my daughter reacts to me being able to do just a wee bit more with her as a result building strength in my weakend legs. I can play games with her a bit longer. Run a bit more. Walk a bit further. Carry her that much further.

So yeah I’m still embarrassed and uncomfortable in a bike shop. But damn if I not glad I have them around when I need em.
Old 07-14-21, 04:35 PM
Cincinnatus
What, again?

Bikes: 199x REI Novara Corsa hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6', 216 lbs,, almost 66 years old. Started riding a bike at 7, got my first big scar (left knee, into neighbors' wire fence) while learning. Graduated to a Raleigh 3-speed & Fuji 10-speed into adulthood. Gave up riding bicycles for motorcycles while in the Army (yay, adrenaline rushes!) and have gotten back into it for weight loss, conditioning, and helping my neighbor recover from his chemo & surgeries. Riding 3x a week in suburban streets & bike/walking trails, gradually increasing the lengths.

Current bike is an ancient (mid-90's) REI Corsa Novara, weighs a lot especially with all the gear slapped onto it. I figure the extra weight of the lights, horns (yeah, there's two, a ding-ding and a squawk), cable, etc. will make my body work harder to move it along.

It's going to take a while, but the effort is worth it. My improved conditioning and helping my neighbor get his back helps us both.

My advice, as cheap as it is, is find a group or a friend who wants to get some fresh air and get out of the abode for a little on a regular basis. If you've got a dog that could use some exercise, maybe that could be worked into the routine.

Self-improvement may take a while, it's taken decades in my case. ;-)

And other people's opinions of you are completely ignorable. They can think what they want, I just don't care. I'm doing this because I want to. What they think is their problem, not mine. Ride on!!

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 07-14-21 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 09:28 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyBear
I still feel outa place in a bike shop (hmm ok a bicycle shop).

Been riding again off and on since 2009 (long hiatus since injury in 2012) Started at 350lbs and presently around the 230lbs mark. But truth be told despite the time and the journey I’m still not much of a cyclist. Longest ride I have accomplished since being injured has been 15kms. Last two days I have managed around 12km rides and am pretty proud to say I’m feeling ok (Going to give the leg a rest tomorrow I think).

But at a bike shop I feel almost like an imposter, like I don’t belong. Because I not really pushing the envelope here. My fitness is not on par with “true cyclists”.

I just get on the bike because despite the slightly elevated pain and lack of ability. I still enjoy it. I enjoy my mini victories. And I absolutely love seeing how my daughter reacts to me being able to do just a wee bit more with her as a result building strength in my weakend legs. I can play games with her a bit longer. Run a bit more. Walk a bit further. Carry her that much further.

So yeah I’m still embarrassed and uncomfortable in a bike shop. But damn if I not glad I have them around when I need em.
Don't ever feel like an "impostor" at a bike shop. If you love riding and have money to spend, you belong there as much as any lycra-clad 25 MPH racer.
Old 07-15-21, 05:51 PM
Cincinnatus
What, again?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, any bike shop owner should, in theory, be exuberant in welcoming all customers, especially those getting into it for the first time or coming back to it. Bikes need tune-ups, new/better gear, tires, tubes, tools, and the riders need their own bodies taken care of.

Money doesn't grow on trees, it grows in customer's wallets, and the bike shop owners would love to harvest some of that folding green.
Old 07-15-21, 06:59 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyBear
I still enjoy it. I enjoy my mini victories.
This right here...this is what it's all about. Ride on brother. You're not an "impostor", you're a cyclist.
BTW - There's no such thing as a "mini victory"...they're all victories!
Old 07-17-21, 04:24 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I'm not embarrassed after losing a lot of weight. I used to be, however, and I'm sometimes surprised how quickly the old thoughts come back. A couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to head out on a trail and saw a group of teens approaching, being loud and acting like teens. I felt myself steel up in anticipation of jeers and laughs, then remembered, no, I'm not that big anymore. I was a bit surprised how quickly and easily that expectation and sour feeling re-emerged.

By the way, do you ever talk to or encourage larger people you see on the trails? For the last week I've regularly seen a very heavy couple walking the rail trail I often ride. While I've not said more than "hi," I'm glad to see them out and am rooting for them. I've been tempted to tell them that, three years ago, I was at least as large as they are, but I don't want them to feel any more self-conscious than they likely already do.
Old 07-18-21, 09:47 PM
Cincinnatus
What, again?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried just talking to them? Maybe they'd appreciate your advice about nice trails to try or get some advice on good local bike stores that could tune up their old dusty bikes that they've got stashed in the garage or shed so they could do some biking...
Old 07-18-21, 10:26 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Definateely a clyde here. We ride for our enjoyment and shouldn’t care what others think. There’s always some bonehead that will take cheap shots but think of it this way, you lapped everyone who didn't ride today. Have fun and good luck
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-18-21, 10:44 PM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
excellent commentary
Old 07-19-21, 12:38 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I remember the first time I work spandex shorts, it was 1983, I worked part time at a bike shop and my mechanic buddy said how I look like a Wimmer sausage when I first tried them on. I was riding in cut off jeans back then so it was a great improvement. I've worn road cycling clothes ever since. I've never had anyone make fun of my riding kit, that I can remember. I wear the kit because it makes it comfortable to ride long distances.

Don't be embarrassed, enjoy what you do. Wear what you want. If the clothes are comfortable and you like them, you will want to ride more.
Old 02-10-22, 07:32 AM
scubadad

Bikes: Motobecane Omni Strada Sport, Land Gear MTB, 1988 Schwinn Impact

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 6' 1" and tip the scales at somewhere between 295-305, depending on that day's donut intake. I have to pass a full length mirror on my way out of the house when I go out for a ride, so I know what i look like in cycling clothes. I look like a poorly-drawn cartoon character. But I don't care. Once I'm out rolling, I'm pretty much "in the zone". Depending on where I'm riding, I'm either just enjoying the ride and being outside, or I'm concentrating on keeping the wheels rolling, and don't really pay attention to others' reactions. I will say that it's pretty rare (if ever, I honestly don't remember it ever happening) that anyone says anything negative to me for being a fat guy on a bike, most people are really pretty cool about it.
Sometimes in the beginning, walking past that mirror made me think "I should probably dress a little differently, I look ridiculous", but I got over that pretty quick. In the end, the benefits of riding and the euphoric feeling that sticks with me for hours after a ride far outweighs (see what I did there?) the risk of someone laughing at me.
Do what's good for you. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by scubadad; 02-10-22 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For scubadad:
Old 02-10-22, 07:45 AM
scubadad

Bikes: Motobecane Omni Strada Sport, Land Gear MTB, 1988 Schwinn Impact

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
To those responding to the O/P...this thread is 12 years old and her most recent post was 10 years ago.

I don't think she's going to see these responses.
Who cares? If she sees them and is still riding, Great!
If not, maybe someone else that is hesitant about suiting up in the odd clothing that we all wear will see it and decide to get on a bike and go for a ride.
Likes For scubadad:
Old 02-11-22, 03:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Hard to think what new could be added to this. Maybe it can be locked or consolidated with the sticky. https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...sed-rider.html
Old 03-29-22, 06:12 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Laughing at someone riding a bicycle to lose weight is like laughing at a fat guy walking on a treadmill inside a gym. No one should care at least you are out exercising and enjoying your day on the bike.
Likes For blue192:
Old 04-12-22, 08:29 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
i know I look like Humpty Dumpty on a bike. So I go full MAML to accentuate it. H8er gonna H8.
Likes For starkmojo:
Old 04-12-22, 10:13 PM
DeadSlow

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
I do ride in the dark a bit but it's not because I'm embarrassed, it's to avoid people and traffic.
Although around here especially around this time of year early evening darkness brings out the damn bats, and in the morning it's the rabbits..
So far I do way more embarrassing things walking and sitting than I do riding
Old 07-13-22, 11:31 AM
LethargicRush

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I honestly just throw on my music and just jam out whenever im riding my bike. If someone waves I wave back but I was feeling anxious myself being 6'5 and 400 pounds but now I enjoy the ride so much I couldnt care less.Neither should you
Likes For LethargicRush:
Old 09-16-22, 02:23 AM
SteelyMan

Bikes: Steel is for real!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
as has been said before by those that are much wiser regarding ridicule … ‘The people that care do not matter. The people that matter do not care’. Anybody that engages in ridicule is enslaved to their own self conscious deficiencies, incredibly immature/juvenile or both. Get out there and do you. Never mind the imbeciles. There will be imbeciles and they do not matter..at all. It doesn’t take a talent to be mean. Their negativity is their sole contribution to society.
Likes For SteelyMan:
Old 11-23-22, 02:22 AM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts

Consider the source and enjoy your ride. Miserable people live to drag others down with them.

I wear bibs and jerseys because it’s what’s best for me to sweat in while riding, Figure out what you like and to hell with anyone else.
Likes For Chicken_fat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.