Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to have a shop true a bicycle wheel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 02:42 PM
lowlux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't find anyone that is willing to show me how to true a bicycle wheel, I am going to have to walk 5 miles to bike shop to get the rim trued, I can not ride the bike, The rim is hitting the brakes.

How much do shops charge?
Old 11-08-10, 03:05 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
depends on the shop. $15-25 is standard.

i bet there is a video or two of how to true a wheel somewhere on the internet, like youtube or something. google is your buddy.
Old 11-08-10, 03:47 PM
lowlux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those videos suck! Thats why i can't ride the bike.
Old 11-08-10, 03:51 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
standard truing price at chicago shops seems to be 25 bucks.

Originally Posted by lowlux
I am going to have to walk 5 miles to bike shop to get the rim trued, I can not ride the bike, The rim is hitting the brakes.
depending on how severely your wheel is out of true, you could undo the brake on the wheel that is wobbling and ride the bike softly to your bike shop. by riding softly i mean taking it easy on the bike, no abrupt acceleration or deceleration, keep speed reasonable, don't go jumping any curbs or potholes, allow for plenty of stopping distance, etc. you don't want to ride too long on an out of true wheel, but it should get you the 5 miles to the bike shop, unless you've got an egregiously out of true wheel or if you busted a bunch of spokes as well.
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 11-08-10, 05:12 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
My LBS runs between free and $20 depending on how bad the wheel is and how good a customer you are.

Truing a wheel takes a bit of practice but it isn't too hard once you get the technique down.

I also second the idea to release the brake and ride gently to the bike shop, been there done that on tour more than once.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Likes For wahoonc:
Old 11-08-10, 05:15 PM
drmweaver2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In New Orleans, it costs anywhere from $10-$40 depending on time requirements and whether the mech sees you as a "sucker" or a friend.

---
FWIW, I found an old unsused wheel and used it as a practice/experiment item to teach myself. Took me 1hr 45 mins the first time - had a tough time understanding what I was actually doing for some reason. Deliberately untrued it by loosening the spokes all around and retrued it again - multiple times. Now I can take the same wheel and retrue it from all-spokes-totally-loose in under 45 mins. Time well spent in terms of self-sufficiency and future money savings.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 11-08-10 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For drmweaver2:
Old 11-08-10, 09:32 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5467 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
$10 if they are just making adjustments.
Old 11-09-10, 09:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
If the wheel's bad enough to force you to walk, there's a good chance that the rim is bent so badly that it can't be trued. Bring enough to pay for a new wheel, just in case. Call for an estimate for the wheel plus transferring the tire, tube, etc. to the new wheel.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-09-10, 10:43 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Or... it might have a broken spoke. Check all the spokes to make sure they are intact. My LBS charges $20 for truing; to replace a broken spoke they generally just charge the cost of the spoke and nipple on top of the normal truing cost (another buck or so).

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-09-10, 11:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I can't find anyone that is willing to show me how to true a bicycle wheel, I am going to have to walk 5 miles to bike shop to get the rim trued, I can not ride the bike, The rim is hitting the brakes.

I don't think that anybody can give a valid answer to your question without seeing the wheel.

"Rim is hitting the brakes." Honestly, I suspect that you have a seriously bent rim. If that's the case, depending on the quality of your wheel components, your most cost effective alternative is probably a whole replacement wheel.
Likes For Retro Grouch:
Old 11-09-10, 12:08 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bike shop I work at charges $10 for a wheel true.

I want to second what Trakhak said. If the rim is badly out of true, what might have happened is that the metal on the outside of the curve has stretched; there really is no way to true a rim to which that's happened.
Old 11-09-10, 07:31 PM
johnr783

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the bike shop, bought a truing stand, spoke wrenches and trued it myself. The best thing about it is, if need be, I can true by sight now. It is one of my favorite things to do.

If you lived in San Antonio, I would help you learn how to true a wheel.
Old 11-09-10, 07:37 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Round here it's 15-20 bucks. Often you can get a complete "tune up" to include the drive train, any adjustments and both wheels trued, if needed, for 30-35 dollars near NC State. I think the shops do it to get people in the door and shopping...
Old 11-10-10, 07:20 AM
doc0c

Bikes: 2010 Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this article. https://waterloobikes.ca/2010/11/03/w...g-on-a-budget/
Old 11-10-10, 01:14 PM
Southpaws

Bikes: 2004 Fisher HKEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I seriously bent my front rim on a drop once and had to ride it home five miles from a trail (after removing the wheel and beating it back into place far enough to make spoke adjustments worthwhile).

Like others have suggested, I released the brake and rode SLOWLY up and downhill for 5 miles, and it beat the heck out of walking.

This video doesn't suck. The process does suck if you're a beginner, and it'll take a lot of time and trial and error. $25 to have someone else do it sounds like a good deal unless you have a lot of time and patience.

How To True a Wheel
Old 11-10-10, 03:38 PM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cost me $12 yesterday. Standard shop prices for my LBS chain is 12-20, depending on how bad the wheel is.

I called REI the other day for a quote, they said $8 per side.
Old 11-10-10, 03:46 PM
Southpaws

Bikes: 2004 Fisher HKEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corkscrew
Cost me $12 yesterday. Standard shop prices for my LBS chain is 12-20, depending on how bad the wheel is.

I called REI the other day for a quote, they said $8 per side.
"$8 per side? Okay, I can only afford the left side today so just do that one."

Seriously, doesn't sound like a bad price.
Old 05-09-20, 09:20 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by safariofthemind
Round here it's 15-20 bucks. Often you can get a complete "tune up" to include the drive train, any adjustments and both wheels trued, if needed, for 30-35 dollars near NC State. I think the shops do it to get people in the door and shopping...
I was in the bike shop 2 weeks ago. I was told their business is tripple times normal. Asked for 1 spoke, It is in the shop. Mechanic told me to have a look around, they needed to"cut a spoke" to fit. Sold me 2 uncut spokes and said it would be a while because someone left his machine out of adjustment.

Cutting a spoke means cutting length and cutting new threads.
Old 05-09-20, 10:00 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
This guy (sick biker) is pretty good at explaining.

It is pretty easy to get it decently trued just make sure you are turning it the right way. Getting it razor sharp is beyond me but then I don't have the time and patience to spend a long time on it, or a dedicated stand.
Old 05-09-20, 11:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Last shop I was at was 12-20 depending on how difficult, price of spokes if required and 5.00 to pull the cassette if needed to replace a spoke. Critical to riding is if its touching the frame. We don't know how close your brakes sit to the rim so touching the brakes may be a whole lot of nothing, just a simple true and even if it rubs against the brake its still faster then walking. 2 things to check before riding, does the brake pad touch the tire, which can happen from it going out of true due to a flat spot, you'll quickly ruin the tire and really need to adjust the pads away from that. Does it touch the frame, if it does it can do anything from ruining the pain on a 4130 steel frame to wearing through the stay on a nice aluminum frame and I've seen that happen. if its neither just ride and save the time.
Old 05-10-20, 05:38 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Where I am in Canada the shops charge about $40.00 to true a wheel. It's a price they can't really quote you over the phone because as others have said they need to see the wheel to be sure it's not a broken spoke or a bent rim.

A wheel can be bent by hitting it in a big longitudinal gap in the road or in a trolley or train track gap. If that happens then taking the wheel off the bike, making sure the tire is inflated HARD, then holding the wheel laterally and striking the proud section of the TIRE against the ground (pavement is best) can sometimes spring the wheel back enough to let one ride to a bicycle shop or home. Ditto for a potato-chip wheel.

If you post whereabouts you are located there may be someone here able to help you out.

Cheers
Old 05-10-20, 06:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Pouhana
I was in the bike shop 2 weeks ago. I was told their business is tripple times normal. Asked for 1 spoke, It is in the shop. Mechanic told me to have a look around, they needed to"cut a spoke" to fit. Sold me 2 uncut spokes and said it would be a while because someone left his machine out of adjustment.

You know you were replying to an almost 10 year old post?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-10-20, 06:22 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Pouhana

Ten year old thread. Why did you revive it?
Likes For Gconan:
Old 05-10-20, 11:37 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
not only old, but dumb as well. Why didn't the op just call a local bike shop?
Likes For branko_76: