Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing flat and sprinklers come on

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 11:04 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

Last week had first flat in over 4000 miles. This week riding with a friend and he had his first flat this season!

While changing the flat for him, as I am fairly quick about it, the sprinklers come on where we were working. I quick grab my bike, his bike and move them, then move everything else, then immediately get back to work. He looks at me and remarked "No comments?" I respond, "What?" Just seemed to me to keep working on the tube so we can get back on the road.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-25-19, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Pfft. During a long tour through the American west I pulled into the city park in Lander, WY. A guy there told me to make sure I keep my tent fly zipped when not around. Why? He had been camping there for a few days. His touring buddy had a serious crash and was in the hospital. The wives were driving out from MN to pick them up. While he was visiting his buddy the park sprinklers came on. His fly was not zipped. He returned to find a couple of inches of water in his tent. His sleeping bag and mattress had gotten soaked.

A few days later I was staying at a motel in Jeffrey City, WY. As I was walking up the highway to a café for lunch, a van with MN plates was heading east with two bikes on the roof. One of those bikes was badly banged up, with mangled handlebars. As the van passed I could see two men and two women inside. I waved. Later that night I talked with a one-legged woman about the town's uranium mining past and the taste of antelope meat.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-25-19, 04:50 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pfft. During a long tour through the American west I pulled into the city park in Lander, WY. A guy there told me to make sure I keep my tent fly zipped when not around. Why? He had been camping there for a few days. His touring buddy had a serious crash and was in the hospital. The wives were driving out from MN to pick them up. While he was visiting his buddy the park sprinklers came on. His fly was not zipped. He returned to find a couple of inches of water in his tent. His sleeping bag and mattress had gotten soaked.

A few days later I was staying at a motel in Jeffrey City, WY. As I was walking up the highway to a café for lunch, a van with MN plates was heading east with two bikes on the roof. One of those bikes was badly banged up, with mangled handlebars. As the van passed I could see two men and two women inside. I waved. Later that night I talked with a one-legged woman about the town's uranium mining past and the taste of antelope meat.
Your second paragraph sounds like a Ken Nordine Word Jazz recitation.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-26-19, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Your second paragraph sounds like a Ken Nordine Word Jazz recitation.
Should have mentioned the wind. As you may know, it can get crazy in that part of the world. Walking to lunch I had to lean steeply to keep from getting blown over.

Jeffrey City is nearly a ghost town. It was incorporated in the 1950s to serve as a home for uranium miners. When I was there in 2000 there were still empty barracks-type housing standing. One was marked for single men. The one-legged woman's husband had been a miner. She said the company promised them jobs for life. Then the bottom fell out of the market starting around '81. The café/bar was still in business, and there was a small convenience store/gas station. Another gas station was closed as was one of the two motels. Got a room at the JC Motel. Only motel I have ever stayed in that did not take credit cards. It was basically a series of doublewides placed next to each other and paneled over to look like one building. Even that has now closed. One the way to town that day I caught up to a Mennonite couple from Portland that was riding across the country on a Bike Friday tandem. The double suitcases that held the bikes served as their trailer. Strong riders. They also got a room at the motel.

The town is on ACA's Trans Am bike route. It's considered one of the loneliest stretches of the entire route. 125 miles between Lander and the next real town, Rawlins. Pretty much the only things in between are a highway rest area, Jeffrey City and Muddy Gap, where you cross the continental divide with climbing a mountain. Really strange experience, but not much in Muddy Gap at the time.

Not long before the JC Motel closed one rider reported finding mushrooms growing out of the carpet in his room. Several years ago a church in the area opened its doors to cyclists. There were a few basic rules like don't enter certain part of the building and no drinking. Unfortunately, some idiot cyclists did something bad and the church stopped allowing cyclists to spend the night there. The woman from the church who broke the news to ACA wouldn't say exactly what happened, but it was bad enough to make the church want to ban cyclists.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-26-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 09:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Later that night I talked with a one-legged woman about the town's uranium mining past and the taste of antelope meat.
Please tell me she worked at IHOP.
Likes For Milton Keynes: