Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does eating little diminish the stomach and help you get more fit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-20-20, 11:44 PM
makoa90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does eating little diminish the stomach and help you get more fit? It doesn't appear to function admirably along these lines.

Gastroenterologist Dr. James Lee said that notwithstanding when expending not many calories, the individual has a decreased stomach and is extinguished all the more rapidly, it isn't probably going to feel less ravenous for the duration of the day.
Old 01-21-20, 12:20 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
From everything I've read there is nothing that shrinks the size of the actual stomach other then surgery, its why surgical bands have to stay in place; once removed the stomach is still its previous size. Moderation if you can manage it can shrink the belly but that's it. Impulse control is for me one of the hardest things to overcome and I've taken to fasting once a week to try and deal with it. Plenty of studies suggest that for men a 24hr fast regularly scheduled can make a difference in overall health. What I notice is how often I want to mindlessly reach for things to eat and how much focusing on not doing so translates during the week to being more aware. Just be aware of how much you're eating in the larger picture as not eating enough during the course of your week can also send your body into starvation mode and keep you from losing weight as well.
Old 01-21-20, 04:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Eating little and starving yourself is not going to make you fitter or healthier...When you cut calories and eat very little you will loose muscle and get weaker and in some people eating less can actually trigger fat storage and cause them to gain more fat...Healthy people who are physically active and exercise a lot shouldn't starve themselves through fasting...Fasting is only for sick people who can't eat and for people who are religious ascetics trying to attain enlightenment.
Old 01-21-20, 07:32 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
everyone is different. What works for one won't for another. By experimenting, you can find what works for you. Or not
Old 01-21-20, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Why do I feel like this is a plug? The Dr. mentioned offers a membership service.

James J. Lee, MD ? Gastroenterologist & Digestive Care in Orange County, CA
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-21-20, 08:54 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Eat less, move more, it really does work. Any program you see out there is simply a methodology to help someone stay focused, there's no magic to it, it's calories in vs. calories out. Whether it's through calorie restriction, or exercise, or hopefully a combination of both, you have to burn more than you take in if you want to lose bodyfat.

I lost almost 100lbs and have kept it off for over seven years. Went from not being able to run more than a couple of blocks, to being a fairly competitive runner and now cyclist. No fads, no gimmicks, just time and consistency.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 01-21-20, 09:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I made $30,000 this week posting random crap on the internet, and as an added benefit, a few people took it seriously.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-21-20, 10:09 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why do I feel like this is a plug? The Dr. mentioned offers a membership service.

James J. Lee, MD ? Gastroenterologist & Digestive Care in Orange County, CA
The OP reads like a plug or just odd...
Old 01-21-20, 10:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
<bobber goes under, set the hook, nothing there...>
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-21-20, 10:47 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
what ever you do, don't think that a sennosides chocolate diet will do any good. You'll crap your pants when things backfire.
Old 01-21-20, 11:06 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
The answer is 'It depends'. Starvation won't help but I have heard good things about the 5:2 diet - eating minimal calories on two non-consecutive days of the week. Other things I'd recommend are: avoid refined carbs like white rice, white pasta, etc. Avoid sugary products. Exercise regularly. It doesn't have to be strenuous exercise - apparently you burn most fat at a level where you can still comfortably talk. Doing short burst (5 minutes) of relatively high intensity exercise a few times a day is apparently as good as single longer periods (I've not tried that myself). Apparently if you're a man it's better to exercise before eating whereas for women it's better to exercise after eating - don't ask me why. So I now eat my breakfast after I get to work which usually involves an 18 mile ride.

I managed to lose 28bl and keep it off just by cycling. I'm now down to 172lb but it's starting to look as if I'm not going to lose any more without being a bit more careful about my diet. My diet isn't too bad it's just that I don't really watch what I'm eating and I certainly don't calorie count.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 01-21-20, 11:12 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
The answer is 'It depends'. Starvation won't help but I have heard good things about the 5:2 diet - eating minimal calories on two non-consecutive days of the week. Other things I'd recommend are: avoid refined carbs like white rice, white pasta, etc. Avoid sugary products. Exercise regularly. It doesn't have to be strenuous exercise - apparently you burn most fat at a level where you can still comfortably talk. Doing short burst (5 minutes) of relatively high intensity exercise a few times a day is apparently as good as single longer periods (I've not tried that myself). Apparently if you're a man it's better to exercise before eating whereas for women it's better to exercise after eating - don't ask me why. So I now eat my breakfast after I get to work which usually involves an 18 mile ride.

I managed to lose 28bl and keep it off just by cycling. I'm now down to 172lb but it's starting to look as if I'm not going to lose any more without being a bit more careful about my diet. My diet isn't too bad it's just that I don't really watch what I'm eating and I certainly don't calorie count.

Hope that's helpful.
Are you over five feet tall? I guess, the real question is, how tall are you, how quick do you plan to get to your target weight goal & what is that final weight goal number?
Old 01-21-20, 11:19 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Are you over five feet tall? I guess, the real question is, how tall are you, how quick do you plan to get to your target weight goal & what is that final weight goal number?
Hah, yes! I guess height is important with regard to weight, isn't it? A friend of mine said 'I can't lose weight so this year I'm concentrating on getting taller.'

Yes, I'm about 6ft tall - I say about because I suspect I may have started to shrink slightly, now being 63. I don't really have a target weight, I just feel I could probably do with getting a little lighter. I suppose I'd like to be under 12 stone, which is 168lb. So maybe 166 or 164. I might try aiming for that this summer.

I cycled 4,500 miles last year and would like to get over 5,000 this year - that's about the target I've got. I have a heart murmur (leaky valve) which I suspect is making it a little harder for me than it could be.
Old 01-21-20, 11:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I can interpret the first sentence, but gave up on the second after reading it three times.
Old 01-21-20, 12:59 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Hah, yes! I guess height is important with regard to weight, isn't it? A friend of mine said 'I can't lose weight so this year I'm concentrating on getting taller.'

Yes, I'm about 6ft tall - I say about because I suspect I may have started to shrink slightly, now being 63. I don't really have a target weight, I just feel I could probably do with getting a little lighter. I suppose I'd like to be under 12 stone, which is 168lb. So maybe 166 or 164. I might try aiming for that this summer.

I cycled 4,500 miles last year and would like to get over 5,000 this year - that's about the target I've got. I have a heart murmur (leaky valve) which I suspect is making it a little harder for me than it could be.
Def consult your doctor prior to going for the weight loss goal & make them fully aware of that end weight number you're seeking to obtain. Having a too low of a weight number might bring about other concerns.
Old 01-22-20, 11:59 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I can interpret the first sentence, but gave up on the second after reading it three times.
Thanks, I thought it was just me going crazy.
Old 01-22-20, 01:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Def consult your doctor prior to going for the weight loss goal & make them fully aware of that end weight number you're seeking to obtain. Having a too low of a weight number might bring about other concerns.
This is BikeForums, we're all shooting for 2 lbs per inch, right?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-22-20, 03:15 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This is BikeForums, we're all shooting for 2 lbs per inch, right?
Don't shortchange yourself on nutrition! Watts depends on it.