Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 09:06 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have not had good luck with the Schwalbe tyres. I've tried many flavours of them, and none of the tyres have a long life expectancy. So far my longest life tyre has been the Giant Gavia AC0. Thank you DrIsotope wherever you are. After that, the Veloflex Tubeless tyres have been my go-to. That said, I am giving the Michelin tubeless tyre a try right now just to mix it up a little.
Old 05-31-22, 04:04 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I have not had good luck with the Schwalbe tyres. I've tried many flavours of them, and none of the tyres have a long life expectancy. So far my longest life tyre has been the Giant Gavia AC0. Thank you DrIsotope wherever you are. After that, the Veloflex Tubeless tyres have been my go-to. That said, I am giving the Michelin tubeless tyre a try right now just to mix it up a little.
My Giant Defy came with Gavia tyres and I have to say they were pretty durable. I ran them for a whole season without any punctures or cuts. But I found the ride a bit harsh compared to others. Although to be fair they were 28 mm vs 30 and 32 mm on my other tyres.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-10-22, 06:23 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
WhyFi cant seem to find those Michelin’s you mentioned and think I need to order something to have at the ready, current tires are starting to square off.

What’s your pref (or anyone else’s) between the Pirelli P Zero Race SL or the Schwalbe Pro One Addix? I was thinking of trying 28mm but Pirelli would be 26mm

ive done the old Pro One’s circa a few years ago but not the Addix variety

Last edited by robbyville; 06-10-22 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
WhyFi cant seem to find those Michelin’s you mentioned and think I need to order something to have at the ready, current tires are starting to square off.

What’s your pref (or anyone else’s) between the Pirelli P Zero Race SL or the Schwalbe Pro One Addix? I was thinking of trying 28mm but Pirelli would be 26mm

ive done the old Pro One’s circa a few years ago but not the Addix variety
Can't really go wrong - both are worth trying. If there's a significant price difference, I'd go with the less expensive. If they're close, I'd go Schwalbe if I wanted the more supple and Pirelli if I wanted the more grippy.... that's my impression of them, at least, though I did have the Michelin in between the two.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-12-22, 06:10 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
robbyville , I just broke 4K miles on the Helix and the Addix 30c are just about ready to be swapped out. I set them up tubeless from day 1 and they've held up quite well. I never flatted and as a long time user of Schwalbe tires, these didn't disappoint. My only takeaway is for the last 800+ miles or so, I've had to air them up more than a couple times than I was used to. But considering what I've gotten out of them, I'm still going with another pair but downsizing to a 28c or maybe even a 25c.
Old 06-12-22, 08:31 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by primov8
robbyville , I just broke 4K miles on the Helix and the Addix 30c are just about ready to be swapped out. I set them up tubeless from day 1 and they've held up quite well. I never flatted and as a long time user of Schwalbe tires, these didn't disappoint. My only takeaway is for the last 800+ miles or so, I've had to air them up more than a couple times than I was used to. But considering what I've gotten out of them, I'm still going with another pair but downsizing to a 28c or maybe even a 25c.
Thanks Primov and great to hear from you! I think I’ll pick up a pair. I was thinking of finally trying some 28’s but think I’ll stick with the 25’s as that all that seems to be available. Hope all is well with you!
Old 06-13-22, 02:46 PM
robbyville

Well to follow up, by the time I was done with shipping and what was "actually" in stock I decided to go with a pair of the Specialized Turbo Rapidaire's to try. Seem widely well liked, top 10 in rolling resistance (off by one watt or so over best race tire), and reviews well from a puncture resistance stand point. Hope to get them in the next week or so.

We shall see!
Old 06-13-22, 10:53 PM
Overdraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
well I can tell you my least favourite tubeless tires…. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR…
to be fair, this is a sample of 1. I got these to replace my tube setup but they only retain about 40psi after 24 hours.
i sort of expected that tubeless would either work, or not work. instead these things pump up to whatever you want… 60, 80, whatever… no hiss no fuss… next day? down to 45. a week later? still 45. I don’t get it.
Old 06-14-22, 06:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Overdraft
well I can tell you my least favourite tubeless tires…. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR…
to be fair, this is a sample of 1. I got these to replace my tube setup but they only retain about 40psi after 24 hours.
i sort of expected that tubeless would either work, or not work. instead these things pump up to whatever you want… 60, 80, whatever… no hiss no fuss… next day? down to 45. a week later? still 45. I don’t get it.
It's almost certainly not the tires. If they've been on the wheels long enough for the sealant to go to work on any small leaks, I would suspect either the tape job or the valve/stem.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-14-22, 06:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The Pirelli tires are not the problem. Mine work great with orange seal endurance. Very little air loss.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-14-22, 06:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The Pirelli tires are not the problem. Mine work great with orange seal endurance. Very little air loss.
Yeah, I'm currently running them, too, and my rear tire, which is approaching 3k miles (), still only gets aired up once every three rides or so.
Old 06-14-22, 09:17 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I love the GP5Ks I put on my Domane. Great ride and seem pretty fast. Now that I know the technique I can get them mounted with very little fuss. The front I put on recently required no tools and no lube on the bead. I had to use a touch of soapy water on the rear bead and upped my hand strength to silverback gorilla levels. Still no tools.
Old 07-15-22, 11:51 AM
NoWhammies

Well after just over 9,000km on my front Veloflex tubeless tyre, I had to put two plugs in it on the weekend. The tyre, with plugs, will air and I rode another ~200km with the plugs in the tyre. But I was feeling skitterish about having plugs in a 9,000km tyre and decided to replace the tyre with the Michelin Power Road TLR.

Upon taking off the Veloflex, there is still treads showing on parts of the tyre. And no cords coming through. Make me wonder if I couldn't have continued to ride on the tyre, were it not for my fear of the tyre failing. But really the tyre showed no signs of potential failure.

So now I have Michelin's on the front and back. Comments based on my first ride with a matching set of boots? Nice. Bike rolls well and the tyres seem to hold air better/longer than the Veloflex. These might become my new tyre of choice, although I have some Veloflex tyres in stock at home here I need to work through first.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 07-18-22, 01:30 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Well to follow up, by the time I was done with shipping and what was "actually" in stock I decided to go with a pair of the Specialized Turbo Rapidaire's to try. Seem widely well liked, top 10 in rolling resistance (off by one watt or so over best race tire), and reviews well from a puncture resistance stand point. Hope to get them in the next week or so.

We shall see!
I've used a 28 rapidair for a bit. Super easy install, but it drank a lot of sealant initially. Now it holds air great, I haven't had any punctures (jinxed it), the compound is super sticky, and it feels really fast.
My only complaints are that it's a bit stiff and the tread isn't wide enough for wide rims at low pressures if you're really tipping it over. But that seems to be par for the course for modern tires that are more concerned with drum RR than real-world riding.

What are your thoughts so far?
Old 07-19-22, 07:30 PM
Hwnryd31

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used the Bontrager hard case lite 25mm on my aluminum wheels for about 1k miles and no issues thus far, it's my backup setup. I've got cf wheels with schwalbe pro one addix 25mm and after about a month I had to plug the rear one. Two weeks later another cut that would not seal so I got replacement one in 28mm hoping more rubber would help. It didn't, after 2 weeks I got a cut that would not seal and plugged it just to get another one after 2 more rides. That was it with schwalbe pro ones for me. Now I got pirelli race tlr 28mm but not enough time on them to judge yet. All I can say the schwabe pro ones felt better riding but if these pirellis are more puncture resistant I'd have to settle.
Old 07-21-22, 04:09 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I'll be boring and say Pro One TLE or GP5000 S TR 30f/32r on the road bike and Pro One TLE 34c for the commuter.
Old 07-21-22, 04:11 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I just set up some american classic 30mm and they were a breeze, inflated and seated without sealant to start. They have a coating to prevent seeping through the sidewalls and come in tan(brown) versions. Only have a few rides on them but they feel grippy and fast compared to the vittoria rubino pros I had on prior.
Likes For redlude97:
Old 07-22-22, 04:45 PM
WhyFi

I've been eagerly anticipating this - next gen Vittoria Corsa tubeless that are up to ETRTO spec and hookless compatible (28mm - 34mm sizes) -

https://bikerumor.com/review-vittori...n-performance/

I still have a new Pirelli waiting on a shelf, to be mounted on my rear wheel whenever the first finally gives up the ghost, so I probably won't get to these Corsa until next year, but I'm looking forward to it (assuming that I can find them at a decent price).
Old 08-01-22, 07:53 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by Overdraft
ok, to be fair to the tires I’ll update my post! I gave up troubleshooting them and exported to problem to the LBS. Cause was of course not the tire but a wheel imperfection which they resolved by adding extra layers of tape to fair it in. No issues since then.

I definitely roll faster than anyone else in my riding group who are all on clinchers. Maybe because I’m fatter than they are? I choose to think it’s the tires! One of the other guys also has a Madone with Ultegra and he’s going tubeless shortly so if he’s rockin’ a different brand I’ll let y’all know if I’m still out rolling everyone!

Also, I just got my first tubeless puncture!
Performed as advertised for all those still in the tubeless denial camp. Went Pssst like a grade school kid passing note, spat out sealant for about an eighth of a revolution and that was it! Started the ride with just over 80psi and was still 80 when I got home!
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 08-01-22, 09:27 PM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Overdraft What brand of sealant are you using?
Old 08-01-22, 10:47 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by biglmbass
Overdraft What brand of sealant are you using?
e*thirteen tire plasma
Old 08-02-22, 01:16 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Yes. When I mount my tubeless, I do a dunk test to see if air is leaking from the seat and also from the spoke joints and valves. I've found imperfect valves and valve cores also contribute to slow leaks.
One thing users may not be aware of is that some specialty wheels have max pressures for different tire sizes. My Hunt 50s have a max pressure of 70psi with 30-32mm tires. When I put the 34mm on, it's recommended max pressure is 50psi.

Last edited by Sardines; 08-02-22 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Swapped out my rear Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR yesterday, the total on that tire was almost exactly 3,500 miles.

I'm pretty happy with that kind of wear - it's as good as I've personally experienced in a performance tire. One minor note: I had noticed the peeling patches of rubber over the weekend - unlike every other tire that I've run down this far, this didn't expose cords, but rather a secondary layer of rubber, so it was less noticeable.
Old 08-19-22, 10:22 AM
NoWhammies

I had a quick look at my rear Michelin tyre when I was taking the bike off the bike rack. I think the rear tyre is experiencing some cracking along the edge. I will take a closer look and post a photo later.

If the tyre is indeed cracking, I am a little disappointed. The tyre only has 4,500+ km on it.
Old 08-20-22, 06:22 AM
WhyFi

Excel has Vittoria Corsa Next 2-packs on sale for $105 - that's a pretty good price on a new tire. Also with noting that these are up to the new spec, including hookless. I've been waiting on these for a while - tempted to grab some even though I've got less than 100 miles on the Pirelli that I just mounted

https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ad-tire-2-pack
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.