Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Introduces "Warp Resistant" Road Disc Rotors

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano Introduces "Warp Resistant" Road Disc Rotors

Old 07-05-22, 09:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am up for warp resistant rotors. Where I live we have a LOT of mountains/hills. On those descent my rotors, specifically my front, tend to warp. Of course once they cool down the rotors return to their normal state.
This is the common complaint with Shimano (and perhaps other brands) and has been my experience as well. Where I live, it seems to be cool to put a stop sign at the very bottom of a hill. As a result, I'm on my brakes really hard to come to a complete stop and when I start moving again, one or both rotors start rubbing for a while which eventually goes away. It's my understanding that the new 12 speed Shimano group brakes have a very slight increase in pad gap distance to reduce the rubbing noise caused by the tight pad clearance.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 07-06-22, 07:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Where can you get these mythical $2 rotors?
Old 07-06-22, 05:04 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Shimano rotors tend to be a complex construction of a alloy spider, rivets and and a sandwich brake rotor. All with different temperature expansion coefficients. Im sure a simple 6 bolt, single piece, stainless rotor would be less prone to warping.
Old 07-06-22, 10:40 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Shimano rotors tend to be a complex construction of a alloy spider, rivets and and a sandwich brake rotor. All with different temperature expansion coefficients. Im sure a simple 6 bolt, single piece, stainless rotor would be less prone to warping.
Shimano offers inexpensive one piece rotors

Shimano claims the three layer rotors (aluminum core between steel plates) with aluminum carrier manage heat more efficiently

because aluminum dissipates heat better than steel - I'm going to side with the Shimano engineers

Last edited by t2p; 07-06-22 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 10:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Where can you get these mythical $2 rotors?
at the dollar store

problem is you only get 1/2 rotor
Old 07-07-22, 08:40 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by t2p
Shimano offers inexpensive one piece rotors

Shimano claims the three layer rotors (aluminum core between steel plates) with aluminum carrier manage heat more efficiently

because aluminum dissipates heat better than steel - I'm going to side with the Shimano engineers
Thats fine, however bonding metals with different coefficient of thermal expansion is very much likely to produce warping in the presence of heat. The principle is used in a long variety of mechanical and electrical contraptions exactly for that reason. Shimano may be able to out engineer the effect, but reducing warping sure is a lot easier in a single piece brake disc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallic_strip
Old 07-07-22, 12:59 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Thats fine, however bonding metals with different coefficient of thermal expansion is very much likely to produce warping in the presence of heat. The principle is used in a long variety of mechanical and electrical contraptions exactly for that reason. Shimano may be able to out engineer the effect, but reducing warping sure is a lot easier in a single piece brake disc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallic_strip
Your internet sleuthing missed a key point, BiMetal does not have the corresponding material on the other side of this the warping. Given the design I would state that the trimetal design is actually more stable than a solid disk. Much like a sheet of plywood is more stable than a single plank.
Old 07-08-22, 10:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I don't know. I am no engineer but I think the engineering Shimano has done behind the Ice-tech rotors is pretty damn amazing.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 07-09-22, 07:18 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Your internet sleuthing missed a key point, BiMetal does not have the corresponding material on the other side of this the warping. Given the design I would state that the trimetal design is actually more stable than a solid disk. Much like a sheet of plywood is more stable than a single plank.
Then again, If the design was inherently balanced and warp resistant, then why would Shimano have to redesign and market an improved, warp resistant design that is "Designed to significantly reduce heat deformation during long, steep descents". Shimano discs was always a triple sandwich, that clearly isn't inherently warp resistant. Quite the contrary. Warping/pinging and delamination are common complaints, that are likely to originate in the sandwich of dissimilar metals.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 07-09-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 09:06 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Then again, If the design was inherently balanced and warp resistant, then why would Shimano have to redesign and market an improved, warp resistant design that is "Designed to significantly reduce heat deformation during long, steep descents". Shimano discs was always a triple sandwich, that clearly isn't inherently warp resistant. Quite the contrary. Warping/pinging and delamination are common complaints, that are likely to originate in the sandwich of dissimilar metals.
With the exception of the Fender Stratocaster or perhaps a traditional mousetrap most products are in some form of constant improvement this would be a example of this. I never indicated that the Shimano Rotor could not be improved, only a laminate is usually more stable the a solid. I also pointed out the bimetal example is irrelevant because the rotor clearly is not. If solid rotors are preferred by some that is great however Shimano has produced millions of the IceTech rotors with very good market acceptance.
Old 07-09-22, 09:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I think what some people interpret to be transient rotor warping is instead failure of a piston to fully retract, which can usually be resolved by one or two additional short sharp squeezes on the brake lever.