Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sweat from helmet gets into eyes. Any solutions?

Old 07-04-22, 12:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I normally ride with my helmet dangling on my handlebars ...
Originally Posted by Rolla

This is at least encouraging.
When I see this my thought has gone to "That guy has his priorities straight. He knows his bars and stem are worth more than what's between his ears." The thought that has been crossing my mind probably longer than @LarrySellerz has been alive. (And I do see the irony that those dangling helmets have been known to cause crashes.)
Old 07-04-22, 01:49 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Some guys sweat and others SWEAT!

In order of effectiveness (my experience only)
- Wicking head band
- Skull cap
- Halo
- GUTR (not particularly comfortable, but very effective)
- Sweat Shoot (not being made anymore, but my favorite)

Sweat Shoot was a wicking headband, with a silicone channel on the lower front to gutter the sweat away. Yes, I sweat a LOT. When the going gets really hard, tilting the head drains the gutter behind the ear.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-04-22, 04:01 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Yeah the Halo works for me.
Old 07-04-22, 04:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yeah, but what about your face mask lines? Maybe a ski mask with just eye cutouts?
I actually had a student who had an extreme face mask tan from wearing it during outdoor band rehearsals and PE. He kept wearing it even when they said they weren't needed outdoors, and even after they made them optional indoors.
Old 07-04-22, 04:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I actually had a student who had an extreme face mask tan from wearing it during outdoor band rehearsals and PE. He kept wearing it even when they said they weren't needed outdoors, and even after they made them optional indoors.
Must be similar to the people I used to see riding by themselves on country roads masked. You never know when that outdoor risk of 0.01 might catch up to you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-04-22, 07:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
He kept wearing it even when they said they weren't needed outdoors, and even after they made them optional indoors.
Yes, well, welcome to the new normal. masks are back on at SLAC LOL. Stanford campus has more masks than helmets on the cyclists
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-04-22, 08:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Must be similar to the people I used to see riding by themselves on country roads masked. You never know when that outdoor risk of 0.01 might catch up to you.
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yes, well, welcome to the new normal. masks are back on at SLAC LOL. Stanford campus has more masks than helmets on the cyclists

Some people wear masks outside due to allergies and/or pollutants. 💡
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-04-22, 08:03 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I wear a cycling cap to block out the sun and prevent sweats from getting into my eyes. It helps to a certain extent depending on the weather. One thing is for certain, the cap does block the sun out too good that my face is tanned while part of the forehead is still white so there went the cycling cap lol.
Old 07-04-22, 08:04 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Well this thread served its purpose. Placed my order with Halo for another bandanna. I already have 3 or 4. Disappointed they no longer list red. And yes I need the bandanna to prevent tiger stripes.

Oh did get 10% off and free shipping.

Another input. Take a spare for long hot humid rides. Refreshing to put on a dry one.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-07-22 at 07:04 AM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 07-05-22, 08:29 PM
GGDaddy

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Great thread. I'm a huge fan of the Halo headbands, but have wondered if there is anything better out there. Concluding now that I'm just fine with Halo.

Incidentally, Hammer Nutrition carries them too with the Hammer logo on it. Bands are currently available in black or white, and are on sale for $9.71 (25% off from $12.95). Not affiliated with Hammer, just a fan.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/halo...ty=1&color=436
Old 07-06-22, 05:56 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I have a grip grab and halo band. Halo band is a little better. On a long climb on a hot day it does however also just soak through, but I feel that with the band it has, it does divert sweat away from the eyes, at least much better than the grip grab.
Old 07-06-22, 06:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I'm sure this has been mentioned a hundred times, but https://www.headsweats.com/?gclid=Cj...kaAriMEALw_wcB
Old 07-06-22, 07:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
We're having a warm dry spell; when it hit 98F yesterday, the humidity was only 40%. Some days it's not so nice. Having tried the solutions listed, here are my observations.

Bandanna: gets soaked through and starts dripping, I need to stop and wring it out at least once an hour. If I've got two and a rack, I can hang one on the rack to dry for the next hour and then swap.

Halo headband: takes about 10% longer to start dripping, then it's just like a bandanna. Note there's a few minutes where that rubber dam works as advertised and diverts the sweat around my eyes, then the sweat just comes over the top and drips into my eyes.

Cycling cap: cap gets saturated, sweat runs down into the bill which saturates, and around the one hour mark sweat starts dripping. It's on my glasses instead of in my eyes, so it doesn't hurt so bad, but I still can't see. Cotton or fancy wicking cap makes no difference IME. It's impossible to wring the bill dry, so longer rides demand another solution. And BTW, I've lost too many nice cycling caps trying to hang them on a rear rack to dry -- don't try it.

Sweat Gut'r: works well when it works. Tricky to don, since you've got to get the long flat side laying flat on your forehead, or sweat will run right by it. I find I have to go through the "make sure it's on right" ritual every time I take the helmet off, and half the time I need to stop 5-10 minutes up the road to try to get it on right again.

Go ride in a cooler climate in the summer: generally works well, either 600 miles north of here with trees or 4,000 feet up. Have a leisurely lunch in the heat of the day, then ride some more if I want to.