Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-09-22, 11:43 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts

I'm curious to hear some opinions and discussion to perhaps reconsider my own perspectives, here. I mostly ride alone, and have become very self-sufficient for it. "Self-sufficiency", in this case, often means stopping a town or two over and spending some cash at a local bakery, donut shop, or at minimum, the C-store. And, as much as I appreciate their service, I also get a 'good feeling' about supporting a local establishment with the hope that they will stay in business for future rides.

Now then, either I've become more involved in the "cycling scene" the last few years, or there really has been an increase in the number of organized event rides, often times with a small (or not so small entry fee). Sometimes, the event organizers will pitch the event as supporting the local community (and sometimes there are legitimate charity drives to speak of). But in other cases, it seems like the pitch to support local is somewhat hollow -- we pay $50-100 and the organizer provides water, snacks, and sometimes even brings along their own food-truck vendors and all -- on these types of rides, then, most riders will rarely step off the route, rarely venture into any C-Store, or support any local diners or dives.

1. If an organized ride uses entirely public right-of-way, and the entrance fee is more 'profit' than 'charity', would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'**? Why, or why not?
2. Does this change if an organized ride is more so for 'charity'? (Has anybody ever even seen a 'bandit' on an MS150?)
3. Does the price of a ride influence these thoughts? I.e.: A Local Shop Ride where $20 is meant to cover the mid-way water tent (which you might not need) vs a "Big Corporate Sponsor" $60 ride where fees include lunch and a t-shirt (which you do not need)?

** For clarity -- riding along 'bandit' here should assume that you do not and will not need any of the organizers' resources (water, mechanical, SAG, etc), and that you have your own safety net (Uber, family, etc).
Likes For Bulette:
Old 04-09-22, 11:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
1. If an organized ride uses entirely public right-of-way, and the entrance fee is more 'profit' than 'charity', would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'**? Why, or why not?
Generally speaking, these don't make much "profit".
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-09-22, 11:56 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
fwiw, Ive never done a charity ride- where you have to collect >$50, or even upwards of $500. The organized rides I go on typically cost around $20; more if you get a shirt (not jersey). Sure, I could bring my own nrg bar, but thats not the point- point is to get together w/riding buds, old & new. Ive never been a bandit- not sure if Ive ever seen anybody else do that; thats really low class.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 04-09-22, 12:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
If you don't pay, stay the eff away. This is so simple. Poaching is poaching, whether you think the ride is "deserving" or not.
Old 04-09-22, 12:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
If it's a route [part] I normally ride, no. If I am aware of the event taking place prior, I may try a backup route or stet the ride. It's how I am & it's my preference.

2. Does this change if an organized ride is more so for 'charity'? (Has anybody ever even seen a 'bandit' on an MS150?)
Generally, am unlikely to participate in charity rides. Something always throws me off for joining in; rules, time, location, etc

3. Does the price of a ride influence these thoughts? I.e.: A Local Shop Ride where $20 is meant to cover the mid-way water tent (which you might not need) vs a "Big Corporate Sponsor" $60 ride where fees include lunch and a t-shirt (which you do not need)?
Yes. Too low & it'll often be a poor experience... based on my experience. Too high, my expectations overall get set too high for a major blow.

Now then, either I've become more involved in the "cycling scene" the last few years, or there really has been an increase in the number of organized event rides, often times with a small (or not so small entry fee).
You're not alone in thinking such. Some rides that were small/moderate in size grew too big & the "rules" along with costs changed, rendering the events unfavorable to me.
Old 04-09-22, 01:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Ask Larry Sellerz. He has fully analyzed the issue.
Old 04-09-22, 01:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,939 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ask Larry Sellerz. He has fully analyzed the issue.
Yeah. We just did this. The answer is that it is not okay to poach a for-fee ride. Find another road.
Old 04-09-22, 01:55 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
A couple of years ago I rode the Erie Canal, E to W. I passed the W to E, official ride at a feed stop. They invited me to partake, and I told them I was a freeloader, they said eat anyway, so I did.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 04-09-22, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yeah. We just did this. The answer is that it is not okay to poach a for-fee ride. Find another road.
It’s deja vu all over again.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-22, 02:02 PM
Koyote

** For clarity -- riding along 'bandit' here should assume that you do not and will not need any of the organizers' resources (water, mechanical, SAG, etc), and that you have your own safety net (Uber, family, etc).
Sure, you're entitled to use the same roads -- nothing illegal about it. But there are plenty of other roads; why would you want to pretend to be on an organized ride when you haven't ponied up the fee?

And by the way, both you and LarrySellerz seem to believe that this behavior is justified if the fee is 'too high.' But that's entirely subjective...And since plenty of other riders voluntarily paid the fee, perhaps you might justly be described as a cheap deadbeat.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-09-22, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
A couple of years ago I rode the Erie Canal, E to W. I passed the W to E, official ride at a feed stop. They invited me to partake, and I told them I was a freeloader, they said eat anyway, so I did.
I ended up riding and camping with ACA’s Cycle Montana in 2016. I paid my own camping fee even though the campground owner would never have known I was not with the tour and bought my own dinner groceries, but I got invited to join the tour for breakfast the next morning.

Crossed paths with the same tour two years earlier at one of their lunch stops. The staff offered me snacks.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-09-22 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-22, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

Around these parts, “banditry” means you actually help yourself to ride amenities, not just ride on the same roads.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-22, 02:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
If you’re invited to join in, it’s one thing. If not asked, it’s altogether different.

Kind of like crashing a wedding reception when you’re not invited and didn’t bring a gift.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-09-22, 02:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Through the late 70's and into 92 our shop sponsored two rides a summer. We had exceptional turnout, upwards of 200 riders every time. Entry fee was $10 in the beginning to cover cost of insurance and food. Did not make a dime off the entry fees, and sales of spare tubes, bags and such didn't cover employee wages for the event. It was a financial loss, however it was part of the marketing budget, thus accepted as a cost of advertising.
The last ride we did before pulling the plug we did not get a rider from the insurance co. to cover it, we just did it as insurance was 6000 bucks for the event. An entry fee of $30 would have been needed to cover the cost of the insurance alone.
Believe me if you are riding on a group ride for $20, the organizers are doing you a favor. To jump into an organized ride without paying the entry fee is something I would not intentionally do.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-09-22, 02:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
For clarity -- riding along 'bandit' here should assume that you do not and will not need any of the organizers' resources (water, mechanical, SAG, etc), and that you have your own safety net.
But you are using their resources. Someone organized the ride, mapped and marked the route, promoted the event, and made it happen. That takes resources, for which your participation obligates you to contribute, whether you eat their bananas or not.
Old 04-09-22, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you’re invited to join in, it’s one thing. If not asked, it’s altogether different.

Kind of like crashing a wedding reception when you’re not invited and didn’t bring a gift.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-22, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rolla
But you are using their resources. Someone organized the ride, mapped and marked the route, promoted the event, and made it happen. That takes resources, to which your participation obligates you to contribute, whether you eat their bananas or use their support or not.
I’ve been out on tour and on day rides that have just happened to use the same roads as organized rides. Planned my own routes, had my own cue sheets and had no idea about the events. How did I use their resources?
Old 04-09-22, 02:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve been out on tour and on day rides that have just happened to use the same roads as organized rides. Planned my own routes, had my own cue sheets and had no idea about the events. How did I use their resources?
Irrelevant. A coincidental convergence of routes is not the scenario the OP is talking about.

When he asks, "would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'," he implies that it was a planned, conscious choice to participate without paying.

Last edited by Rolla; 04-09-22 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-09-22, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Irrelevant. A coincidental convergence of routes is not the scenario the OP is talking about.

When he asks, "would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'," he implies that it was a planned, conscious choice to participate without paying.
Agreed. Indy is describing genuine coincidence; Larry and the OP are premeditating.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-09-22, 02:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Koyote
Sure, you're entitled to use the same roads -- nothing illegal about it. But there are plenty of other roads; why would you want to pretend to be on an organized ride when you haven't ponied up the fee?

And by the way, both you and LarrySellerz seem to believe that this behavior is justified if the fee is 'too high.' But that's entirely subjective...And since plenty of other riders voluntarily paid the fee, perhaps you might justly be described as a cheap deadbeat.
Yep. Besides which, charity rides often bring out folks brimming with enthusiasm but lacking in skills. Bless their hearts but you could go hoarse. "On your left! NO NO the other left...."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-09-22, 03:16 PM
indyfabz

Went back and reread the OP with a more discerning eye and my good glasses. I agree with you. Sorry for the confusion.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-22, 03:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Only happened once when riding up Hwy 39 in the San Gabriel Mtns I passed a large spread out group of riders doing a diabetes charity ride.
Made some small talk with a few and was invited to stop at the water station up the road. I declined because I "DID NOT PAY FOR IT. "
Old 04-09-22, 05:44 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Only happened once when riding up Hwy 39 in the San Gabriel Mtns I passed a large spread out group of riders doing a diabetes charity ride.
Made some small talk with a few and was invited to stop at the water station up the road. I declined because I "DID NOT PAY FOR IT. "
Proper response. If they then extend an invite, different story​​​​​.
Old 04-09-22, 06:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

This thread and the seatbag thread. Ride poachers and never-tubers. The clueless sense of personal entitlement boggles. Were they never taught or were they just born with a short circuit?
Old 04-09-22, 06:53 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What is wrong with someone that they would be cheap and bitter enough that they would feel the need to tag along with an event ride?
Kinda sorta equal parts pathetic and creepy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.