Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from northern Maine.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 09:06 AM
aldenb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello to all from Linneus, Maine, USA! Retired and operating a small farm in the beautiful Maine woods. Mom and pop. Sheep and pigs. And Puttycat. Looking to build my first motorized bike. I have an only rudimentary knowledge of small engines and electric motors, and my welds will not win any awards. But I will proceed anyway for the fun of it and the learning experience. I will build the bike first and add power to it later. The budget is tight. So I think I am constrained to common, mild tube steel, and Rustoleum paint. No fancy tools here either- angle grinder, stick welder, bench grinder, drill, and the usual tools typically on hand to maintain small farm machines. The purpose of my bike build is primarily to have an alternative to my gas-guzzling pick-up truck when going to town. The town is about a twenty-mile round trip with hills. Not crazy steep hills, but enough of them to challenge my legs on a regular bike or any small motor. Roadways are mostly asphalt, but there are sections of farm roads that are packed with gravel and dirt. As for the load to eventually power, I see my own weight of 180 lbs., bike weight of about 100 lbs., and cargo weight up to about twenty pounds or so. Then there would be the weight of a motor. Powering my bike is really what brings me to this form. My idea is to use a mini gas 2000w generator paired with a 220v a.c. motor. So that is another 50 lbs. About 350 lbs total load. I am looking to have a speed of under 25mph on a level road and at least 10mph going up hills. The bike will have pedaling power also. Essentially, the power plant is to get me up the hills. I do not need the power to get me going from a stop; I need it to just kick in as I come to a hill. (The mini generator has 2000 starting watts and 1700 running watts. It has two 110v sockets which will be used for 220v.) I am aware that such a build is unusual. But it is what I think I want. I do not want to spend the money that I would have to spend on a decent battery and fancy e-bike motor. I just want to be able to get a boost up the hills. I feel sure that there is a 220v motor out there that can serve the purpose I have in mind. But I need the help of the knowledgeable people who are surely on this forum. Thank you!
Old 06-22-22, 09:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Well, I applaud the thought of building your own. I suggest really exploring You Tube (you have internet up there, or are you still using smoke signals ?), and research home builts. Its tempting to say give Face Book Marketplace and Craigslist a look at, but I suspect the market is expensive for such e-bikes and theres probably not a lot of offers in your neck of the woods, which would mean long drives towards Bangor or someplace downstate. Ive actually been up your way, headed to New Brunswick and Mt. Carelton Provincial Park, as well as regularly head to Lubec and Greenville to camp. Love Maine.
Likes For Steve B.: