Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My "New" Trailer...Locked and (Un)Loaded...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 12:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

Bought a used bike trailer a couple of weeks ago. Added a 50 gallon Sterilite tote. Due to the initial project budget, it's not a locking one, but I may get one later.

I wanted to be able to lock the trailer to the bike and initially thought that I could just use a padlock with a right-sized loop in place of the trailer hitch pin...but anybody in the know would just remove the QR skewer. Plus the wheels are removable. Plus I wanted to at least lock the tote to the trailer. Because I want the flexibility of having a flatbed, the tote pops into place with front-rear wood guides and a couple of bungees. The rails are all on cotter pins for quick release.

After a little research, I found there is a category of cinch-able cable locks. Master Lock's is called the "python" series based on the snake-head shape of the mechanism. Not having a larger anchor piece at the cable end means the cable will fit through a 3/8-inch hole, which is just the width of the rim of the tote. I measured and 7 feet would be needed to loop through the wheels, frame (under the board) and the tote rim.

At just $24 bucks for the 8-foot version it was cheap enough, but almost half of the $42 dollars I had already spent. ($30 trailer, $10 cotter pins, $2 used LED blinkie. The reflective tape I already had, and the spoke reflectors were free at the bike co-op.)

When locked the top of the tote can still be opened due to its flexibility, but I was more interested in just keeping the tote with the trailer.

Also, I added a removable caster to the front arm. I thought when I needed it I could roll it into the grocery store or hardware store and use it as a cart, which the high handle at the back makes it easy to do. In that case the lid comes off and fits securely between the tub and side rail.

As fun as it was riding around the last few days with the trailer (behind my heavy utility bike), today I took a ride on my commuter and it felt super light by comparison.

Anyway, I know it's not a high-security locking arrangement, but it's good enough for errands around most of Colorado Springs (at least for now, although crime is really growing).

Just wanted to share what I did.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-02-22, 06:41 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
That looks a lot like our old Burley, without its skin, that was an awesome bike trailer/stroller. It had a larger spoked wheel up front, that you attached when using as a stroller. Wish I had done something like that, instead of selling it. Nice job!
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-02-22, 08:43 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Good idea on the caster in the front. I was thinking I should have got the trailer that transforms into a stroller just for that purpose of using it as a shopping cart then just attaching it to bike and riding away but didn’t want to pay the premium for an extra wheel and handle. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-02-22, 02:01 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I pulled mp children in carts behind our Tandem and with my bicycles in there early years. Here is my new grocery/dog hauler.

Likes For Rick:
Old 07-02-22, 03:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

Anyway, I know it's not a high-security locking arrangement, but it's good enough for errands around most of Colorado Springs (at least for now, although crime is really growing).

Just wanted to share what I did.
Maybe put a sticker on the tub indicating it contains manure of some kind or something else nasty so people won't mess with it.

Great thread. Lots of good ideas for people to "steal".
Likes For livedarklions: