Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first drop bar tape attempt... how long to live with my ineptitude?!?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

first drop bar tape attempt... how long to live with my ineptitude?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 11:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I've seen some people use a gauge to keep the wrap even.
Geez. I just count the number of times it goes around the bar on each section and figure that's close enough. Hadn't even thought of taking a caliper to it.
Old 07-05-22, 01:01 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Looks better than my wrap job. I would keep myself then just redo it with new tape in few months like everyone else said. I start from the drops because everyone said so. seems to be about 50/50 on which direction to wrap though ha-ha.

For the people that wrap handle bars at least 4x a year what's your favorite practical bar tape? more concerned about how it last etc vs you a bar tape that just looks/feels better.
Old 07-05-22, 07:20 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
I *sorta* get starting from the top down, if finishing tape is that much anathema for you. However, I will never be able to wrap my head around the absolute absurdity and waste of time to start from the brake levers and wrap in either direction. I had never even heard of such a technique before I came here.
Old 07-05-22, 08:35 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Geez. I just count the number of times it goes around the bar on each section and figure that's close enough. Hadn't even thought of taking a caliper to it.
Ha, yes, a little anul, but I guess it worked for them. It was a thin plastic piece that looked like a large comb.
Old 07-05-22, 08:40 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How? I just eyeball, but I would not mind if there was a tool for this.
Not sure if it was homemade or purchased.
Old 07-05-22, 10:04 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’m not exactly sure why wrapping bars from the center (top down) would make the tape wear out quicker . Perhaps it was meant that the wrap job wouldn’t last as long. I have wrapped bars in both directions in the past and have found both methods resulting in issues. Depending on the type of bar tape used, to my eyes, starting at the center looks “cleaner” (I don’t like the look of the finishing tape required when taping from the bar ends) up top but again depending on the type of tape, can have an unsightly look at the bar ends. RE: the tendency for the tape to loosen and result in gaps, the direction of wrapping is key. Even if wrapping from the bar ends (bottom up), if wrapped in the wrong direction, the tendency described above will occur. IIRC, the accepted “best” method (bottom up) also includes changing wrap direction at the brake hoods. That concept might be the source of the mentioned method of starting at the brake hoods and working out.
This entire issue reminds me of the “moral conflict” in Gulliver’s Travels RE: which end of a soft boiled egg (small end vs large end) is opened when eating it .
Old 07-05-22, 10:10 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by sovende
I’m not exactly sure why wrapping bars from the center (top down) would make the tape wear out quicker .
You can see in the second photo he posted, the edges of the tape on the drops are facing forward. This could allow those edges to be be curled back when in the drops.

Last edited by smd4; 07-05-22 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-07-22, 02:11 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
For years, I used to go top down for that clean look, but since I ride without gloves I found the edges to dig into my hands and also just wear out faster. Now I do it from the ends up and live with the electrical tape job on top.
Old 07-07-22, 03:43 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
It doesn't look that bad to me. Next time reduce the aperture. I feel like I need new glasses looking at these photos.
Old 07-08-22, 06:30 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Looks fine to me but I agree with other folks. I always start from the bottom. Ride until it needs replacing. And $40 isn’t too much except for the cheapskates among us (and they are legion on this site).
agree looks fine. $40 tape is a new one though, i normally don't bother with the tape unless it is getting really bad. i buy bikes used and just wash the tape as needed and generally looks ok.
Old 07-08-22, 03:01 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’m not exactly sure why wrapping bars from the center (top down) would make the tape wear out quicker . Perhaps it was meant that the wrap job wouldn’t last as long. I have wrapped bars in both directions in the past and have found both methods resulting in issues. .......
In my case I tend to be a "lazy" rider and put more weight on my hands. And due to the angle this means there's some forward push. So the direction that results in exposed edges facing forward is better for me. If the edges faced back my lazy habit would result in the tape stretching and curling over and pretty quickly fraying.

I did one set top down early on and learned my lesson when the tape was loose and fraying in only a couple of months due to how I ride.
Old 07-08-22, 09:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
In my case I tend to be a "lazy" rider and put more weight on my hands. And due to the angle this means there's some forward push. So the direction that results in exposed edges facing forward is better for me. If the edges faced back my lazy habit would result in the tape stretching and curling over and pretty quickly fraying.

I did one set top down early on and learned my lesson when the tape was loose and fraying in only a couple of months due to how I ride.
yeah it’s interesting; i’ve been paying attention to where my hands are and 95% of the time i’m on the hoods and only the heel of my palm is on the tape, pressing more or less straight down. the tops are good, i’m quite sure. but on the drops, i am sometimes pulling “back” which might in theory be pulling the edges of the tape. time will tell. i see why the figure 8 is a thing, but that’s a lot of extra tape that i didn’t have with the pitch i used. 150 miles in and no signs of wear. fingers crossed.
Old 07-09-22, 08:00 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider

Regardless of the direction of “wrap” on my collection of bikes, I just don’t seem to have a problem with bar tape fraying. I don’t if “lazy” applies to my riding style but I rarely ride “in the drops”. Mostly on the hoods or tops. I don’t find myself putting an excessive degree of weight on the bar so maybe that’s a factor.
Old 07-09-22, 09:01 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I pretty much just use Cinelli cork tape any more, which some people might classify as "the cheap stuff" since it's less than $20, but it holds up better than any of the more expensive stuff that I've tried. I wasted too much money on Lizard Skins one year, retaping multiple bikes, only to discover it only lasts one season before it starts peeling. Cinelli holds up great, it's a lot cheaper, and is much easier to wrap since it's very stretchy. Look at the reviews on Amazon - most people really like it.
Old 07-09-22, 09:55 AM
smd4

Never liked the look or feel of the Cinelli tape. I have vinyl now which I like but will soon replace with leather when I can.
Old 07-09-22, 09:58 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I pretty much just use Cinelli cork tape any more, which some people might classify as "the cheap stuff" since it's less than $20, but it holds up better than any of the more expensive stuff that I've tried. I wasted too much money on Lizard Skins one year, retaping multiple bikes, only to discover it only lasts one season before it starts peeling. Cinelli holds up great, it's a lot cheaper, and is much easier to wrap since it's very stretchy. Look at the reviews on Amazon - most people really like it.
Which version? Gel cork or just cork?

Originally Posted by mschwett
... on the drops, i am sometimes pulling “back” which might in theory be pulling the edges of the tape.
Maybe the front of your handlebar is tilted too high so that the drops are at too steep an angle to the ground?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 07-09-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 10:15 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
[QUOTE=SoSmellyAir;22569015]Which version? Gel cork or just cork?
/QUOTE]

This is what I buy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-09-22, 10:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Wish there were more easily specs available on tape length. Have tried some tapes that I liked the feel of, but just not enough material to wrap to where I like.
Old 07-09-22, 10:51 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Wish there were more easily specs available on tape length. Have tried some tapes that I liked the feel of, but just not enough material to wrap to where I like.
Yeah, length should be listed. I think you just have to prioritize where your hands go. I start at the drops and wrap with less overlap per loop to leave sufficient length to (1) do the figure 8 at the STI levers and (2) wrap the tops with more overlap, since I use the drops, ramps, and tops more than the drops. But I am switch bars soon so I probably have to learn everything again.
Old 07-09-22, 10:57 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
While I agree that would be an easy spec to provide, I’ve never run out of tape. I always need to cut away excess tape.
Old 07-09-22, 01:05 PM
curbtender

If you run short, back it off and then wrap it tighter. I can usually get about 5 extra inches on most tape.
Old 09-17-22, 08:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
about 1,300 miles later, it looks pretty much the same as it did on day one. no worse for the wear (but also no better 😂&#128514

i like the slight thickened bit at the inside edge, my hand sits up against it when on the bar tops (which is virtually never)