Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

F1 beach cruiser

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

F1 beach cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 10:27 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
F1 beach cruiser

I just came across old f1 bmx bikes they look so cool I’m super into them but they don’t make them anymore they were an old fad. I can be wrong though because in reality someone might still make them lol.

anyway I started this idea of getting a beach cruiser that comes with 20” inch wheels and going with the f1 vibes with skinny 20” wheels maybe a skinny 24” in the rear. It might look cool.

anyway just had this idea and thought to share it. Maybe someone else might dig the idea and take on the build themselves. Cheers
Old 09-01-22, 10:42 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Sounds like fun...
Old 09-02-22, 12:13 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Damn I found a cool frame to use. Smaller and imo with a better design structurally than my current bc. Damn I think I might really build one. Ditching my current 26” klunker build for a 20” klunker. Smh
Old 09-02-22, 12:47 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

This is a bmx f1 bike. I just discovered this category they don’t really make this style frame anymore now it’s another category called mini velo

This is a mini velo style bike still 20 inch wheels just a more upright style idk.
Old 09-02-22, 10:15 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
We used to make them with a 24" frame, 20 inch wheels and "junior cranks". (5 1/2 inch) 145mm
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 09-02-22, 09:45 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

I picked another bike. Smh lol I’m really into the mini velo vibes for more reasons than just looks.
Some of those are
the obvious smaller lighter

Others are easy to swing up over the gates in the subway. If your not paying.
A lot easier to manage on the subway.
Carrying it up stairs is easier and in my opinion it feels way more secure on the bike rack that hangs on the front of the bus. Here are some pics of what I picked up today.

Old 09-02-22, 09:51 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

I haven’t owned it 12 hrs yet and someone already said “nice beach cruiser”
Old 09-02-22, 10:47 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures @Nofiltercycling. Mini-Velos are cool and they have their own cult following. They are particularly useful when combining cycling with mass transit as you point out. Your name here is Nofiltercycling and I guess that may be appropriate since your comment was "If you're not paying" . Or did I misunderstand that? And you are hoisting the bike over the turnstile after paying.

I also think the F1 bikes were cool. They put some thought into the better ones. I wish they were more popular but, it never caught on. Now they are hard to find and expensive if you do find one.

I was, at one point, thinking that it may be possible to modify a bmx frame into a mini-velo, but I didn't think it would end up being right.

I like the Velo Orange Neutrino mini-velo, it is great for traveling on transit or bringing up stairs, but, it doesn't have the F1 vibe to it. It does have disk brakes and can support 8 or 9 gears in the rear.

Velo Orange Neutrino

For the Trek beach cruiser, you could put a layback seat post on it and Sting-ray style handlebars. Or just extend the seat post by fitting a smaller seat post inside the first seatpost. The Trek will have a smaller crank than you may want. But putting a bigger crank on it may cause the pedals to be too close to the road. Going to a 24" wheel in the back would bring the bottom bracket up, but tip the frame in an undesirable direction. It also looks like the Trek frame aluminum so if you want to weld to it you will need a TIG or suitable MIG welder.

Pictures are requested if you go forward with this project.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-02-22, 11:38 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

The main reason why I pulled the trigger on this bike purchase was because of how the split tubes are welded together and centered on the down tube. I have become not fond of the structural design of the original version of split tubes on the down tube. Where the split tubes are capped and welded. One on each outer side of the down tube this style of beach cruiser is my favorite visually. I’m not really fond of the other heavy duty type where the seat post to downtube frame section is just straight. This frame i picked up in a way combines those two aspects. Referring to having the curvature and look with some of the heavy duty design where the split tubes centered on the down tube. All together beach cruisers are my favorite bike visually. Also I learned this frame is made with treks alpha white aluminum a similar category of tube material used in some of their higher end bikes.

one thing that I do not like so far only one is the way or the fashion in which the seat tube is welded to the split tubes. One weld on each side. You can see in the pictures. I’m not a frame builder. So I want say it’s a weak design. I just wish it had a little extra material welded in the there. It would make me feel better that’s all.

yea the turnstile lol up n over night n day difference in watts used lol

your right about the cranks I’m going to keep those for a bit. Come Monday I’m going to swap the nexus 3 speed hub from my 26” to this 20”. I just got a 13T cog in the mail for that nexus 3 speed. I’ll do that and see what chainrings feel good.

Last edited by Nofiltercycling; 09-03-22 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 06:37 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Nofiltercycling
The main reason why I pulled the trigger on this bike purchase was because of how the split tubes are welded together and centered on the down tube. I have become not fond of the structural design of the original version of split tubes on the down tube. Where the split tubes are capped and welded. One on each outer side of the down tube this style of beach cruiser is my favorite visually. I’m not really fond of the other heavy duty type where the seat post to downtube frame section is just straight. This frame i picked up in a way combines those two aspects. Referring to having the curvature and look with some of the heavy duty design where the split tubes centered on the down tube. All together beach cruisers are my favorite bike visually. Also I learned this frame is made with treks alpha white aluminum a similar category of tube material used in some of their higher end bikes.

one thing that I do not like so far only one is the way or the fashion in which the seat tube is welded to the split tubes. One weld on each side. You can see in the pictures. I’m not a frame builder. So I want say it’s a weak design. I just wish it had a little extra material welded in the there. It would make me feel better that’s all.

yea the turnstile lol up n over night n day difference in watts used lol

your right about the cranks I’m going to keep those for a bit. Come Monday I’m going to swap the nexus 3 speed hub from my 26” to this 20”. I just got a 13T cog in the mail for that nexus 3 speed. I’ll do that and see what chainrings feel good.
So you like cantilevered frames, they're often the best looking beach cruisers. Yeah those canti tubes also serve as seat stays, so yeah, they need to be welded to the seat tube.
Old 09-06-22, 10:17 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
So you like cantilevered frames, they're often the best looking beach cruisers. Yeah those canti tubes also serve as seat stays, so yeah, they need to be welded to the seat tube.
cantilevered cantilevers hmm that’s a new one into my vocabulary. I saw that word in the forums. I thought they were talking about brakes lol.

all I know is that i don’t know everything lol
Old 09-08-22, 12:30 AM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

Here are some more cool examples that I found

This one is not a mini Velo but it’s crazy cool so I’m sharing it
Old 09-09-22, 04:50 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
That second to last pic is a cantilevered frame, like a Huffy Cranbrook, or Schwinn Sante Fe II.
Old 09-15-22, 06:15 PM
Nofiltercycling
Mustard

I wish the seat post was longer