Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wanting to prepare (and repair) my winter clothing

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-10-22, 04:10 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

With October being unseasonably cold, I have already brought out some of my winter apparel. I don't mind the crisp, sunny days and will start rides with temps in the 30's if I know that it will be warming.

I have some thermal knickers that I damaged the fabric on by spraying them with too strong of stain remover. I was thinking of trying to get a seamstress to sew some windstopper fabric panels on the thigh area of these knickers in order to continue to get more use out them. Has anybody done something like this, to make a garment better adapted to the cold? Just wondering.

On a similar note I have a long sleeve jersey that is slightly too large that I fould I can wear as a jacket over the top of another thermal long sleeve jersey and a goose down vest I have. But the sleeves and the front of the jersey would be much better it I could have some windstopper panels sewn in. Once again - has anyone done something like this? Thanks for any conversation on this winter type apparel topic.
Old 10-10-22, 05:28 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Worth trying if you can find a seamstress and the appropriate wind stop fabric. Price it out, you might be ahead to just purchase the right gear. My down vest already has wind stop fabric and I sometimes layer it on top for a cold day. I have some decent nylon pants found at a thrift shop. Over Merino wool long johns, they work fine.
Old 10-10-22, 06:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Is this something you can fix with a bottle of Nikwax?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-12-22, 07:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
Concur with what ‘inusuit’ said above. If you’re going to spend the money…you might as well just spend it on a new garment. I mean I would try it myself (depending on the cost of the proper fabric)…but I have a sewing machine, and do a bit of sewing. What a seamster/seamstress charges you might not make the alteration cost effective.

Dan
Old 10-12-22, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
FWIW - lots of pre-owned cycling clothing on Poshmark & Ebay for way less $$ than buying new
Old 10-17-22, 08:55 AM
Frustrated

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
With October being unseasonably cold, I have already brought out some of my winter apparel. I don't mind the crisp, sunny days and will start rides with temps in the 30's if I know that it will be warming.

I have some thermal knickers that I damaged the fabric on by spraying them with too strong of stain remover. I was thinking of trying to get a seamstress to sew some windstopper fabric panels on the thigh area of these knickers in order to continue to get more use out them. Has anybody done something like this, to make a garment better adapted to the cold? Just wondering.

On a similar note I have a long sleeve jersey that is slightly too large that I fould I can wear as a jacket over the top of another thermal long sleeve jersey and a goose down vest I have. But the sleeves and the front of the jersey would be much better it I could have some windstopper panels sewn in. Once again - has anyone done something like this? Thanks for any conversation on this winter type apparel topic.
I run into these sorts of quandries all the time: finally find a garment I really like, only to damage it, or have a seam split on me. Then it's always a question do I repair or try and replace?

As mentioned here previously, might be best to simply discard and move on to a new garment. Too often, so much of your focus will be on the repair, how it's 'holding up' or is it starting to fall apart again that your energy and focus is directed in the wrong place: your clothing and not your ride.

But, with that said, depending on the repair, before totally discarding, I do try and either make repairs myself (I have a sewing machine) or where they are a bit more extensive, go to a professional seamstress. I always check to ensure they use a polyester or synthetic thread and make sure they use the proper stitch on the fabric repair.

Good luck and more importantly: peace of mind and a good ride!
Likes For Frustrated:
Old 10-17-22, 08:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to fix. Just get these. A ton of us my cycling community all wear these for winter fat biking.

Front panel is windblock. Back side is breathable. Just pay attention to the sizing. I'm a 32 waist and 32 inseam. XL fits me. L is a little snugger.

https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Fle...-1-spons&psc=1

I have 3 pair of them. They haven't failed in any way yet and work aweseme during the cold months.
Likes For prj71: