Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Heavy Duty

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Heavy Duty

Old 09-01-14, 08:11 PM
hobbit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heavy Duty

Hello all,
Would anyone know if Schwinn sells a cruiser style of bike that is more "heavy duty"
then the average beach cruiser? One with a stronger grade of axles, rims and such.

Thanks,
The Hobbit.
Likes For hobbit:
Old 09-01-14, 09:12 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, they do. Heavy Duti | Schwinn Bicycles
They've made various iterations of the Schwinn "Heavy Duti" (sic) for decades now. I've never found the axles to be significantly upgraded, but they use heavier-gauge spokes, HD rims, and the frames are bomber. I got a garage full of heavy duti/industrial frames and bikes.... i got several Worksman Industrial Newsboys, a late model Schwinn Heavy Duti, the very similar Summit Workhorse, an old Trailmate, even a Worksman Low-Gravity Bike (cycletruck) and I gotta ay that the Worksman bikes are my favorite HD industrial bikes, but it's good that there's so many options out there,,,

Originally Posted by hobbit
Hello all,
Would anyone know if Schwinn sells a cruiser style of bike that is more "heavy duty"
then the average beach cruiser? One with a stronger grade of axles, rims and such.

Thanks,
The Hobbit.
Old 09-02-14, 06:54 AM
Lastplace29er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out this bad boy

Husky Bicycles HUSKY 26" Industrial Bicycle Model HD-120 <b> FREE SHIPPING
Old 09-02-14, 08:41 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, those are rad, too. The 120 has 11g spokes vs the 12g spokes on the HD105. The only Industrial bike marques I've never messed with are Husky and Emory, but I'm gonna get some of those, too... Industrial bikes are fun.

Originally Posted by Lastplace29er
Old 09-03-14, 03:10 PM
Robinsallen2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband is getting ready to retire. I had two very good beach bikes I bought in 1984 from a bike shop that were wonderful until we had to finally give them up a couple years ago because the cost to fix outweighed the worth. Now I wish we would have kept them. He bought me an inexpensive bike from Kmart and I have never liked the ride which is hard to know by sitting on it in a department store. It started squeaking, the tire rim started rubbing on the medal and its already started rusting. We want a solid no speed, resistance to rust and humidity since we live at the beach. We will be keeping them inside this time especially if we spend more money. We need big comfy seats, baskets and a smooth solid ride. We would like to ride everyday. He has had some spine surgery so riding the bike is actually easier than walking. Do men ever buy womens bikes to be able to get on and off easier?
Old 09-03-14, 03:34 PM
1FJEF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but you call it a step thru (through) frame
How much does he weigh?
Does he need more than one speed? If he's weak it will help. Also reduces effort when accelerating from a dead stop.
You could also try a bike with "pedal forward" technology, the seat is lower, you can just about walk up from behind, straddle & sit. Single speed about $250. Check this page, top to bottom. The men's in clay looks great in person.
If you can go more expensive the 7 speed is a nice bike, I wish I had one. Locally you'll probably pay over $400. I've seen them for $399-449 at the local bike shop. If you buy at a LBS they'll fix it if it screws up, around here 2 shops have a lifetime service on non-wear parts, so if it started rubbing like your Kmart ride did, they'd fix it.

My favorite See how the seat is lower & the pedals are moved forward compared to your bike.

Last edited by 1FJEF; 09-03-14 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 05:53 PM
hobbit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there Surreal,
Thanks for the note and the info on the Schwinn "Heavy Duti" model.
I dropped by the local Schwinn shop yesterday and the owner will have
a new red model arriving next week for his inventory needs.
It looks promising and it may soon be mine.

Thanks again,
the Hobbit.
Old 09-03-14, 08:14 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi there Surreal,
Thanks for the note and the info on the Schwinn "Heavy Duti" model.
I dropped by the local Schwinn shop yesterday and the owner will have
a new red model arriving next week for his inventory needs.
It looks promising and it may soon be mine.

Thanks again,
the Hobbit.
YVW....if it's red, it's probably a "Deliveri", which is basically a red Heavy Duti with a fork-mounted basket.... Cool bike.
https://cdn3.volusion.com/2k9xa.y2wqc...jpg?1409133021
They use those in warehouses, too.... I've seen retired factory Deliveris offered for sale...

Last edited by surreal; 09-03-14 at 08:15 PM. Reason: photo issues
Old 09-03-14, 10:53 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Its a Schwinn Dealer model. Higher quality than the big box store Schwinn.

Should be up to whatever you throw at it.
Old 09-05-14, 11:22 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
The Hobbit.
There is no cruiser more heavy duty than a Worksman cycle.

Cargo Bikes, Industrial Bicycles and Industrial Tricycles from Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-05-14, 11:48 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
I love me some Worksman bikes, but I feel pretty strongly that the 7/8" post is decidedly light-duty (compared to 1" on the SHD)... 1" tubing throughout on the Worksman compared to the oversized tubes on the SHD.... Worksman has some stronger wheels, no doubt... I tend to prefer Worksman due to some semi-custom options, plus they're US-made, but they have plenty of flimsy stock components. I've been using some thick-walled stainless tubing for seatposts, and that's been pretty good....but it takes some courage on Worksman's part to claim that they can handle 400+ lb riders, with a 7/8" seatpost

Last edited by surreal; 11-22-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 12:21 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
I love me some Worksman bikes, but I feel pretty stronglt that the 7/8" post is decidedly light-duty (compared to 1" on the SHD)... 1" tubing throughout on the Worksman compared to the oversized tubes on the SHD.... Worksman has some stronger wheels, no doubt... I tend to prefer Worksman due to some semi-custom options, plus they're US-made, but they have plenty of flimsy stock components. I've been using some thick-walled stainless tubing for seatposts, and that's been pretty good....but it takes some courage on Worksman's part to claim that they can handle 400+ lb riders, with a 7/8" seatpost
You know what's weird? My SHD has original steel crank, steel bars, heavy tires, still has it's kickstand, Brooks saddle, yet weighs in at only 30 lbs. Yet my middle weight canteliever with same bars, same saddle, only 14g spokes, much lighter tires, with NO kickstand weighs exactly the same, 30lbs. Odd.
Old 09-05-14, 01:03 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you took a saw to the frames, you'd be amazed at how much thicker the tubing's walls are on the Canti frame.

If my memory serves me, your Canti-frame Schwinn is an imported one.... but those old Chicago Schwinns, man, they were made of some really thick-walled stuff. You know it's the truly stout stuff when you take a regular diamond frame "lightweight", strip EVERYthing off of it, and it still feels as heavy as a complete modern roadbike. I rode like three miles with a Varsity frame on my shoulders--no fork, just the frame, the headset cups, MAYBE the BB cups....and it felt like aHerculean task....
Old 09-05-14, 01:41 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Schwinn heavyweight cruisers were made for bad ass looks. They weren't fast. My Schwinn Black Phantom cruiser weighed a ton and rode like a tank....
Old 09-05-14, 01:42 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by surreal
If you took a saw to the frames, you'd be amazed at how much thicker the tubing's walls are on the Canti frame.
Now you've made me curious. Be right back...........
Old 09-05-14, 05:37 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Now you've made me curious. Be right back...........
Old 09-06-14, 12:07 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

You were right, much thicker.

What kind of glue do you recommend?
Old 09-06-14, 01:14 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd just let it rust back together....
Old 09-23-14, 10:10 AM
TheBoogly

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinsallen2
We want a solid no speed, resistance to rust and humidity since we live at the beach.
I ride a Trek Pure and I love it. It feels great. If you don't want the complication of gears, they also make a single speed. I ride the mens model but there are step-through versions too. You may not need the step through version because the pedal-forward design allows the seat to be set lower while still attaining full leg extension when pedaling. The frame and the rims are made from alloy, so there's your rust resistance.

Last edited by TheBoogly; 09-23-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 04:00 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinsallen2
My husband is getting ready to retire. I had two very good beach bikes I bought in 1984 from a bike shop that were wonderful until we had to finally give them up a couple years ago because the cost to fix outweighed the worth. Now I wish we would have kept them. He bought me an inexpensive bike from Kmart and I have never liked the ride which is hard to know by sitting on it in a department store. It started squeaking, the tire rim started rubbing on the medal and its already started rusting. We want a solid no speed, resistance to rust and humidity since we live at the beach. We will be keeping them inside this time especially if we spend more money. We need big comfy seats, baskets and a smooth solid ride. We would like to ride everyday. He has had some spine surgery so riding the bike is actually easier than walking. Do men ever buy womens bikes to be able to get on and off easier?
I will still recommend visiting a Trek dealer and looking over a Pure S, which has a nice drop in the top bar that might help, is not a heavy bike and is well built in my opinion. It comes in a multi-speed version as well and the best part is that you are getting a brand new bike with support and warranty, 26" rims that my LBS says will likely take fatter tires (probably standard 26 x 2.125 inches, with knobby treads), and they have a range of attractive color options as well. The should take a full compliment of baskets/racks as well.

I know I sound like a cross between a broken record and a Trek salesman (which I'm not) but I just love the bike and wish I had one. I own a Schwinn middleweight (Centennial single speed model) and a circa 50s or early sixties full size Rollfast, and I had a third (Western Flyer) that was stolen...I prefer single speeds hands down. I also favor a big, comfy seat over suspension.

Like your husband I too have a fussy back, am what we call a Clydesdale ( I am 250 or so and about 5' 8") and not such a walker...bikes are fast and fun transportation for me! My Schwinn middle has handled me without frame breakage although I can be hard on spokes and rims...and bearings I had to cross brace at the crank on my Rollfast but it strengthened and saved my frame.

Last edited by Rollfast; 10-19-14 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 02:44 AM
LeoDing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tks for ur share.
Old 03-15-22, 08:29 PM
Millhouse56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need help to ID the year made

Hi guys, I just found a nice Schwinn Heavy Duti That I can't determine the year. It has the clover sprocket, a round rear reflector and the heavy duti decal on the top tube. is it a refurbished frankenbike? The only numbers I could find were 2850 stamped on the head badge.

Old 03-17-22, 07:36 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
@Millhouse56

last digit ending in zero zero indicates an 80 or 90 model. 90 would be right for this heavy duty.
Old 03-17-22, 07:46 PM
Millhouse56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good to know. Thans for the info and fast response.
Old 03-17-22, 08:09 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
How do you like riding it so far?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.