Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD12 or Trek SL (City Commute + 175 mile exodus)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 01:24 PM
digitalmc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've been on this site reading a bunch of thoughts on these two bikes and I understand them each fairly well. I do still have a fairly specific question though.

So I currently have a TREK Domane 2.3. It's am amazing bike but I want something a little faster. I don't have money for 2 new bikes so I need one that can do it all. I do mostly 10-30 mile rides around town with friends or will go 50-60 from time to time. I commute as well so speed is SUPER important so I can keep up with traffic.

On the other hand I really want to do a 175 mile ride up the state and would really like to be able to take the same bike on it.

I am torn between the CAAD12 105 (Aluminum) or the TREK SL 5 (Carbon).

The CAAD12 in my situation is roughly $1100 and the TREK SL 5 is around $1500. I know those are great prices... bike shop hookup.

My thoughts:
  1. They are roughly the same weight and stiffness so would there be much if any speed advantage to the SL 5?
  2. Will the CAAD12 aluminum be a really rough ride when riding 175 miles? And is the Carbon much nicer for long rides?
  3. Should I just keep my Domane. It has a 105 group-set and lightweight aluminium. Basically does the geomity make a huge difference?
  4. Is there anything I can do (Seat-post, gloves,saddle) to improve the comport of an aluminum bike without sacrificing a lot of speed.

I'm so torn and have road the bikes short distances and like them, I just have no idea how they will feel after 100 miles. Many thanks team.
Old 08-02-17, 01:37 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
No idea how the Trek will feel, but I've done a couple of centuries on my CAAD12 105 and the bike was super comfortable. I've never felt like the ride was rough. It absorbs a lot of road imperfections but still feels stiff. I did short test rides of some carbon bikes and none of them felt as good as the CAAD12. I struggle to describe the difference.
Old 08-02-17, 01:42 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
What wheels do you currently have? I vote for keeping the bike and upgrading those instead.
Old 08-02-17, 01:51 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
What wheels do you currently have? I vote for keeping the bike and upgrading those instead.
yup, this
Old 08-02-17, 02:15 PM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
No idea how the Trek will feel, but I've done a couple of centuries on my CAAD12 105 and the bike was super comfortable. I've never felt like the ride was rough. It absorbs a lot of road imperfections but still feels stiff. I did short test rides of some carbon bikes and none of them felt as good as the CAAD12. I struggle to describe the difference.
That's good to know, It gets such rave review I figured that would be the case. I'm glad to hear you are not having issues. The new aluminum frames are super nice!
Old 08-02-17, 02:17 PM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Domane it's the stock Bontrager wheels. They are not that great. Even if I upgraded those though I'd still have the "upright" feel of the Domane. Do you now agree that the geometry change would be worth the upgrade? Or were you saying I could get the cheaper CAAD12 and throw $400-$500 wheels to improve the bike even further.
Old 08-02-17, 02:24 PM
PepeM

Do you have a negative-angle slammed stem, always ride on the drops yet feel like you would like to be even lower but for some reason can't? Just because the others have a slightly smaller top tube (have you checked the geometry of an Emonda? They are not all that 'aggressive') doesn't mean you'll necesarily ride in a more aerodynamic position. For the 175 mile ride, the Domane sounds like a far better option than those other two. To keep up with traffic I don't know, a motor?

With all that said, can't go wrong with a CAAD or an Emonda. Between those I'd pick the CAAD.

Also, you asked if there is something you can do to improve the comfort without sacrificing speed, and there is something: wider tires. Much cheaper than a new bike.
Old 08-02-17, 04:06 PM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a negative-angle slammed stem, always ride on the drops yet feel like you would like to be even lower but for some reason can't? Just because the others have a slightly smaller top tube (have you checked the geometry of an Emonda? They are not all that 'aggressive') doesn't mean you'll necesarily ride in a more aerodynamic position. For the 175 mile ride, the Domane sounds like a far better option than those other two. To keep up with traffic I don't know, a motor?

With all that said, can't go wrong with a CAAD or an Emonda. Between those I'd pick the CAAD.

Also, you asked if there is something you can do to improve the comfort without sacrificing speed, and there is something: wider tires. Much cheaper than a new bike.

Very thorough response. I don't have any special parts on my bike, everything is stock. I do ride drops a lot. I admit when I ride the emonda and then a domane it just feels more aggressive, but I'm not 100% sure why. That might be in my head and I'm not 100% sure it would make that much of a difference now that I think about it.

Having larger tires is a great idea for the long rides. Kinda obvious now that you mention it. I admit I'm a little surprised you would go CAAD over Emonda. Any particular reason or just preference?
Old 08-02-17, 06:05 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"So I currently have a TREK Domane 2.3. It's am amazing bike but I want something a little faster."

this is the statement that really doesn't make much sense, the bike itself isn't going to make you faster, better training, weight loss, conditioning and etc will make you faster. but, if you want a new bike, don't try to justify it, just admit you want a new bike and go get one!!! ride the CAAD, ride the Emonda, etc, lotsa great bikes out there and even the 'endurance' geometry bikes are still very sharp handling bikes and easy to get in the drops to get more aero. this sport is fun, enjoy it, if getting a new bike sounds fun to you then set yourself on a path to try some and get one.
Old 08-02-17, 07:00 PM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
"So I currently have a TREK Domane 2.3. It's am amazing bike but I want something a little faster."

this is the statement that really doesn't make much sense, the bike itself isn't going to make you faster, better training, weight loss, conditioning and etc will make you faster. but, if you want a new bike, don't try to justify it, just admit you want a new bike and go get one!!! ride the CAAD, ride the Emonda, etc, lotsa great bikes out there and even the 'endurance' geometry bikes are still very sharp handling bikes and easy to get in the drops to get more aero. this sport is fun, enjoy it, if getting a new bike sounds fun to you then set yourself on a path to try some and get one.
Haha, thanks for the input. My initial statement is entirely sincere though. I don't want to give this bike up at all, it's kinda my pride and joy but I can't afford another bike without selling it. Call it ignorance but I thought the more aggressive geometry would help maintain faster speeds in various circumstances. I'm not a technical biker, but I like to ride a lot and I just want to make sure as I move into faster groups I can keep up. I agree 100% that by the biggest gains come from training, but I figured if I could get a more speed oriented bike it might give me the 2-3 mph on those 30-40 mile rides to keep up with some of the faster heats.

Would it make more sense to adjust my current bike (Domane) to be more aggressive and just getting sweet tires? If so any suggestions? I feel lightweight aluminum is more bang for the bucks but again because of my lack of technical knowledge I kinda just muddle through the stats and call my bike shop when I get confused lol. I'll probobly start searching the forums around wheelsets and see what people say.
Old 08-02-17, 09:28 PM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I road my CAAD 12 from Houston To Austin in a day. Very comfortable bike. The changes from stock were saddle, Enve carbon Handlebars and Reynolds Attacks with Cora Speed tires set up tubeless. Please excuse the dirty bike photo.

IMG_20170729_175036.jpg
Old 08-03-17, 06:54 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50

Agreed, this is the best response. Strengthening, weight loss, flexibility is what is going to make you faster, not a CAAD12. You can always get a narrower handlebar, negative stem if aerodynamics is a problem. I agree, if you want a CAAD12, get it, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's because it will make you faster.

But then I'd go for comfort over all out race frame. 175 miles is a long ride, I'd want to be as comfortable as possible, to the max, and rely on my training to improve my speed.
Old 08-03-17, 07:16 AM
PepeM

Originally Posted by digitalmc
I admit I'm a little surprised you would go CAAD over Emonda. Any particular reason or just preference?
All due to personal preference. I have never ridden an Emonda, but I have a 1.2, which has the exact same geometry, and I am not a big fan of how it corners. The bike is just fine in every other aspect, but when racing criteriums I just don't like the feel when going over a technical course. My old steel bike corners much better. Now, it is probably something very individual, since a lot of people race Emondas at a very high level, but yeah, that's why I would take a CAAD12, which from my short experience, does handle very well. If I wasn't interested in technical races then I wouldn't have any issue with the geometry.
Old 08-03-17, 07:31 AM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All due to personal preference. I have never ridden an Emonda, but I have a 1.2, which has the exact same geometry, and I am not a big fan of how it corners. The bike is just fine in every other aspect, but when racing criteriums I just don't like the feel when going over a technical course. My old steel bike corners much better. Now, it is probably something very individual, since a lot of people race Emondas at a very high level, but yeah, that's why I would take a CAAD12, which from my short experience, does handle very well. If I wasn't interested in technical races then I wouldn't have any issue with the geometry.
That's awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. I really like the CAAD series... they seem pretty incredible.
Old 08-03-17, 08:36 AM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
Ditto. I've done numerous 100+ mile rides on my CAAD12 and it was very comfortable. As others have said, ultimately your comfort comes from (wide) tires and stem position. I'd get the CAAD and spend the extra money you saved on better wheels, good tires, and maybe a fit.
Old 08-03-17, 08:49 AM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ClickClickBoom that's awesome to hear. I'm glad it worked out for you so well. I was looking at new wheelsets so I'll check out the Reynolds Attacks.
@zymphad I 100% feel you perspective. I was just hoping a stiffer frame, lighter weight and aggressive geometry would lend itself to speed. But in the end I'm not making any money riding so I shouldn't discount the benefits of comfort.
@Wested That is really good to hear. I'm surprised the amount of aluminium hype form everyone... I would think that carbon would get more props. This is enouraging for sure.
Old 08-03-17, 08:50 AM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also @ClickClickBoom that bike looks slick man.
Old 08-03-17, 09:13 AM
ClickClickBoom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worked in the cycling industry for years. It's given me the opportunity to try and own many different bikes and gear. There is a difference in the way equipment feels, rides and performs.

You have to decide if the very large amount of money is worth the very small gains. For me it is. It also helps that the industry helps shop employees a lot.

If your already in good "biking" shape and your on longer rides where your at "full gas" light weight, low rolling resistance tires, aero position, aero wheels, frame and so on can add up to significant amounts of time. Bikes set up to be "fast" are uncomfortable when you your riding slow enough to think about it. My lungs and legs are usually in to much pain when on bikes set up that way to be thinking about the aggressive riding position.

I also believe that modern high end aluminum bike frames are the better value. They often out perform the mid level carbon frame and come very close to the high end ones at a fraction of the cost. My current stable of road bikes have three aluminum and one carbon bike in it. I prefer USA made high end steel and one gear for my cross country/ mountain bike needs.

You will develope a preference for what you like to ride based on your fitness, riding style, goals and personal preference. If you have the money, spend it on what you love weather you need to or not. You can't take it with you.

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-03-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 09:21 AM
ClickClickBoom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalmc
Also @ClickClickBoom that bike looks slick man.
The bike is a 2017 CAAD 12 BLACK INC. It has mechanical Dura-Ace 9100 with Hollowgram cranks. I changed wheels, tires , handlebars, bar tape and saddle. Very happy with it. I use it for all but the fastest club rides or races/training.
Old 08-03-17, 11:33 AM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ClickClickBoom I agree and honestly have never had problem with my aluminium bike. I've never had a problem keeping up with most of my riding buddies even on their $7 italian carbon bikes. Although I admit I don't have super fast riding buddies You clearly have knowledge around how these bikes handle and what upgrades constitute a good deal. It seems the upgrade from 2016 Domane 2.3 to the SL 5 or CAAD12 would be only minor improvements in the area of speed around town and on group rides. I've spent hours digging into wheelset technology and I'm starting to think this would be the right investment. Do you have suggestions on decent wheelsets I could throw on my Domane that might help both my short game and my long game? I wouldn't want to spend over $500 so I'd try to pick something odd ebay most likely. I'm around 220lbs but quite fit.
Old 08-03-17, 11:56 AM
ClickClickBoom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no proof of aero benifets on the off brand carbon wheels. They may be made solid but there is no proof or published wind tunnel testing.

Since Vision updated there wheels, lost weight and better braking they are my preferred mid to upper middle carbon wheels. I prefer them to Zipp 404s/808s.

I also like the Reynolds Attacks/assault/strike in the $1000-$1200 range.

If money is no object Enve Or Reynolds RZR.

I would also consider HED Jet series of wheels.

Now, you may love the way the CAAD 12 rides. It is by far the most compliant aluminum frame I have ever ridden. Just amazing what Cannondale did with aluminum. Just like the Allez Sprint. Between the two I find it hard for the club rider or beginner racer to go carbon. These new aluminum frames are that good. Yes the high end carbon frames are better but only a little and at 3x to 5x the cost.

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-03-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 12:07 PM
ClickClickBoom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what aluminum can be. I know they might be too busy looking or not your cup of tea style wise but here are two more aluminum options.

IMG_20170801_155100.jpg

IMG_20170729_102155.jpg

IMG_20170729_064930.jpg

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-03-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 07:33 AM
digitalmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those bikes look slick! That specialized especially is impressive looking. You certainly put your money where your mouth is with those vision wheels, I'm going to look at them here soon. It turns out money is the biggest inhibitor to this purchase so I'm moving toward best value over best spec.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this decision. It means a lot and I certainly learned a lot! I'm leaning toward new wheels for now and maybe a bike when I can save some money.