Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Drinking water in Central and South America?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Drinking water in Central and South America?

Old 10-29-19, 10:37 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
In the old days, we drank water from a fast moving stream. Above any human settlement. Moss or green plants in the water are natures filter.

Portable filters do not remove DDT, or lead, or insesticide, or on and on.

Then Katadyn can be sued for this

QUICK FACTS Vario filter

• Effective against microorganisms
  • Effective against bad taste
  • Effective against chemicals
  • Suitable for small groups up to 3 people
  • Suitable for cloudy water
  • For more frequent use
  • Lightweight and portable for on-the-go adventures
  • For travels by motorhome or car
Old 10-29-19, 10:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
Portable filters do not remove DDT, or lead, or insesticide, or on and on.
Most organic based contaminants can be filtered out with an activated carbon filter. And other than lead, most contaminants are organic. There are some organic compounds that are not readily filtered out by carbon, but the list is short.

Some filters include activated carbon, most do not. My Katadyn Combi is quite heavy, thus I rarely use it, but I used to carry it over a decade ago before I got something lighter. The carbon filter in the Combi used loose carbon, you could buy new and replace it. The MSR filter (I do not recall model) has the carbon within the ceramic element, that can't be replaced without also replacing the ceramic part that is pricey.

You also can buy in-line carbon cartridges that can be added to a filter that does not have any carbon in it.

If you want to research further, do an internet search for activated carbon contaminant adsorption water treatment
Old 10-29-19, 11:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by FlippinFlags
I've been looking at the Steripen but it seems like 20% of them are faulty (Amazon reviews)..

I wasn't aware that chlorine bleach kills viruses... ALL?
I noted above that I have not used my Steripen, but I can say that when I look at Amazon reviews, two things come to mind.
1. When I am happy with a product, not ecstatic but happy, I am unlikely to get on the internet and say anything. If I am strongly unhappy (like if I got sick) I am much more likely to complain.
2. Steripen instructions are clear, you have to be careful that when you stirred the water that the other drops of water on the container that were not stirred are not treated. Be careful to make sure that only the stirred water that was exposed to the UV is used.

UV treatment does not always kill the microbes, but it is intended to make the microbes non-reproducible which is all you really need to worry about.

I did a quick internet search to verify something before I typed it, found this article. On long scientific articles, I always skip to the conclusions section near the end and read that first, so I downloaded the PDF version so I could read the conclusions. This basically says the Steripen works but you can have user error. But I only read part of the conclusions.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7789391500174X

Chorine. I am not going to say that Chlorine bleach kills ALL viruses (I am not a micro biologist), but viruses are very tiny, the smaller the microbe the more likely that it will be killed with disinfectants. When i commented above on a couple drops of Chlorine per liter, I generally rely on EPA for this sort of thing. If in doubt, use twice as much.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...r_sept2017.pdf

Instead you could buy the iodine tablets.

A side note, I am not sure but I think that Chlorine bleach is prohibited on passenger aircraft. I have carried my little 1 oz bottle in my quart sized ziplock in a carry on on planes, but you would not want to have a big jug of it packed in your checked bag.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-29-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 11:47 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Chemicals are for emergancy use only. Bleach, iodine, all chemicals.

Long term use of chemical has ill effects on your health. They are also less effective, do not work as well.

Grayl has a very short life span. I will not be buying that one again.

Steri pen used to have a battery problem, 10 years ago. They fixed it.
Old 10-29-19, 04:13 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I didn't see this much in other countries, but in most places in Mexico you can find a place selling clean water in large quantities called a purificadora. They will fill up whatever bottles you have and charge by the liter. This avoids the issue of constantly throwing away bottles, and is also much cheaper. The only issue I had was one purificadora had high volume flow because they were used to filling large tanks for people to carry back to their homes in the countryside I think. It was a bit tricky to fill my one liter bottles when the water comes out like a fire hose.

In Costa Rica you can drink the tap water. I drank it there and had no issues. I did not drink straight tapwater anywhere else in Central or South America. I use the USB rechargeable Steripen though which is great when you're in towns and cities because the tap water is clean (as in, no dirt in it), so I could just fill my bottles, hit them with the Steripen, and drink it.
Old 10-29-19, 04:42 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Any truth in this statement?

https://www.promolife.com/o-pen-tact...tation-device/
The O-Pen® is a pen-sized water purification device that you can take anywhere. It can purify 16 ounces of water in under a minute using the power of ozone.

Ozone gas is approved by the USDA and the FDA for drinking water. It's more effective and powerful than chlorine without some of the health concerns of chlorine gas. Ozone is simply O3, three oxygen atoms that provide a punch against microbes and other contaminates. Since oxygen atoms group in pairs, the third atom breaks off and attaches itself to viruses, bacteria, and microorganisms that cause giardia, coliform, typhoid fever, cryptosporidium, cholera, dysentery, hepatitis, infectious jaundice, e-coli, influenza, enteric fever, and many more, inactivating them and removing the threat. Ozone also removes odors and bad tastes.

Because it's so small, the O-Pen® is easy to take anywhere. It only weighs 1.2 ounces. It comes with a USB cable and rechargeable battery. You can clean about 25 liters per charge, and the stainless steel cartridge makes it durable enough to pack and carry.
Old 10-29-19, 05:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
As msn says, take reviews with grains of salt.
I reckon failures mentioned are more of a hardware issue, ie broken, that's what I took from negative accounts, and why I was careful of mine in use and transport. I know there are lots of people who are bull in chinashops with stuff.

Re actual filtering. In my travels, I was very careful with my process. I put water into my large coffee mug, maybe 350ml, and the steripen wand could reach near bottom, and I could stir easily. Would pour this into my bike bottle or my spare store bought 1 litre and 1.5 litre plastic bottles, repeat until full.

I've been sick before traveling in Latin America on my own in the past, and frankly my dear, it's a real Chitty experience, and had no urge to revisit this while bicycle traveling....hence being careful as heck and being attentive to what I was doing.

You can't control everything, but this is one I could.
You can always have bad luck with food (I ate always in small roadside places, family run usually) but you can do your best with chosing places that look ok (not always had a choice, but hey)
Old 10-29-19, 05:38 PM
djb

Originally Posted by DanBell
I didn't see this much in other countries, but in most places in Mexico you can find a place selling clean water in large quantities called a purificadora. They will fill up whatever bottles you have and charge by the liter. This avoids the issue of constantly throwing away bottles, and is also much cheaper. The only issue I had was one purificadora had high volume flow because they were used to filling large tanks for people to carry back to their homes in the countryside I think. It was a bit tricky to fill my one liter bottles when the water comes out like a fire hose.

In Costa Rica you can drink the tap water. I drank it there and had no issues. I did not drink straight tapwater anywhere else in Central or South America. I use the USB rechargeable Steripen though which is great when you're in towns and cities because the tap water is clean (as in, no dirt in it), so I could just fill my bottles, hit them with the Steripen, and drink it.
Dan, I would notice these sometimes, but I guess cuz I wasn't using them, didn't spot them that often. Seems to me they wouldn't be around when you really needed them.
Yes, I used my steripen in hotels all the time, rarely had gungy water out of taps, sometimes but it would clear quickly.

Was drinking water in CR in the 80s, even in Nic end of 80s with no ill effects.
Old 10-29-19, 07:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

A friend of mine traveled in Russia a couple of decades ago, he said that they would stand in the store and wait to see which brand of bottled water the locals would buy, then they only bought what the locals bought. Apparently not all bottled water in some foreign countries is trustworthy, the locals knew what to avoid.

I remembered this when I saw the comment above about buying water in bulk by the liter and bringing your own container. If the locals were buying it in bulk, either it was probably safe from biological contaminants or the locals already had a digestive system that could deal with it.

This thread being on water is a bit off topic from my next comment, but years ago when I saw this article I saved a copy to my hard drive.
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...ing-the-globe/

NY Times has a paywall and to read it you might have to create a (free) account, so I will just mention why I linked it here if you do not want to create an account.

The author said that to prevent travelers diarrhea she always:
Before every meal, we each chewed one pink tablet of bismuth subsalicylate (sold as Pepto-Bismol and various store brands).
The author said that preventative method was based on a study described at this link:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6985681
Old 10-29-19, 08:07 PM
djb

A la ruskies, I would eat in local eateries where I would see locals were eating, good chance food is good, and food not sitting around for hours.....

Didn't always have that luxury , but it helped a lot of times.

Last edited by djb; 10-29-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 02:43 AM
FlippinFlags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I noted above that I have not used my Steripen, but I can say that when I look at Amazon reviews, two things come to mind.
1. When I am happy with a product, not ecstatic but happy, I am unlikely to get on the internet and say anything. If I am strongly unhappy (like if I got sick) I am much more likely to complain.
2. Steripen instructions are clear, you have to be careful that when you stirred the water that the other drops of water on the container that were not stirred are not treated. Be careful to make sure that only the stirred water that was exposed to the UV is used.

UV treatment does not always kill the microbes, but it is intended to make the microbes non-reproducible which is all you really need to worry about.

I did a quick internet search to verify something before I typed it, found this article. On long scientific articles, I always skip to the conclusions section near the end and read that first, so I downloaded the PDF version so I could read the conclusions. This basically says the Steripen works but you can have user error. But I only read part of the conclusions.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7789391500174X

Chorine. I am not going to say that Chlorine bleach kills ALL viruses (I am not a micro biologist), but viruses are very tiny, the smaller the microbe the more likely that it will be killed with disinfectants. When i commented above on a couple drops of Chlorine per liter, I generally rely on EPA for this sort of thing. If in doubt, use twice as much.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...r_sept2017.pdf

Instead you could buy the iodine tablets.

A side note, I am not sure but I think that Chlorine bleach is prohibited on passenger aircraft. I have carried my little 1 oz bottle in my quart sized ziplock in a carry on on planes, but you would not want to have a big jug of it packed in your checked bag.
I've actually been looking into chlorine tablets at the moment.
Old 10-30-19, 08:39 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
In health care we use various virucides but when the contaminant is resistant we default to bleach. Safe, cheap, effective.
Old 10-30-19, 11:18 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I think a good combo would be a Sawyer Squeeze and a Steri-Pen. Both not too expensive and not too large. Could probably get by with just the Steri-Pen, but might be circumstances where filtering would be beneficial also.
Old 10-30-19, 11:44 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A friend of mine traveled in Russia a couple of decades ago, he said that they would stand in the store and wait to see which brand of bottled water the locals would buy, then they only bought what the locals bought. Apparently not all bottled water in some foreign countries is trustworthy, the locals knew what to avoid.
I cycled across Russia in 2007 and in the process spent five months traveling between St Petersburg and Vladivostok. That brought me through and past a lot of smaller rural places.

Towards the end of each day, we would do our "water ritual". This was going into a nearby village/house with our water bladders and seeing where we could fill up. The sources of water varied. Sometimes we would be directed to a pump like in photo below. Sometimes there was a community pump house. Sometimes, they would disappear into the house and re-appear with the bladder filled. It varied, but we were pretty much getting our water where the locals got theirs as well. We didn't do much filtering, didn't buy much water and it wasn't until we were in the less populated east that we got groundwater from streams. That ground water we'd treat or filter.

Both of us did have occasion to be sick once or twice in the five months. I don't know if that was food, water or some other reason but overall it wasn't a big concern.
Old 11-03-19, 11:48 PM
FlippinFlags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I actually think this is the best option..

A Sawyer product and a Steripen (their is a high fault rate) so I think add some water purification tablets would be the best way to go.

Originally Posted by timdow
I think a good combo would be a Sawyer Squeeze and a Steri-Pen. Both not too expensive and not too large. Could probably get by with just the Steri-Pen, but might be circumstances where filtering would be beneficial also.
Old 11-04-19, 12:07 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
My friend and I have both been using a Sawyer. We've used them Many times, on different occasions. I would think if you also used a Steripen, there really wouldn't be any need to go throwing chemicals in there too. ...Unless you just like ingesting chemicals. Then save yourself the trouble of the Steripen.