Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge - What a POS

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Edge - What a POS

Old 08-15-20, 06:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
For more than two decades I've found the marketplace around cycling data to be under-realized. Given the landscape changes (tech advances, ubiquitous connectivity, acceptance of renewable revenue models) you'd think someone would "pull and Apple" and make an attempt at a well funded market consolidation by designing a great piece of hardware and back-ending it to a reliable and well designed app/site platform.

I'd be very eager to shell out for that.
I'd much rather continue to use Garmins than have another ******g subscription in my life.
Old 08-15-20, 10:22 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure about the 530, but the OP is referencing turning off the unit while it's charging, which is fine.. you get a Battery% indicator. However, when you unplug from this state, the unit turns back on. This has always annoyed me -- not sure what Garmin's logic was that when you're done charging the unit and unplug, you'd want it to turn on by itself.
Couldn't agree more. I HATE the fact that 520 turns on again when I unplug it from charging. Again, as you mentioned, I am not sure what Garmin's logic is/was with this feature. Would be nice to turn the feature off if possible.
Old 08-16-20, 07:35 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Couldn't agree more. I HATE the fact that 520 turns on again when I unplug it from charging. Again, as you mentioned, I am not sure what Garmin's logic is/was with this feature. Would be nice to turn the feature off if possible.
Now that I think about this, the 'right answer' is probably a tad more complicated that it appears at a glance. I think that most folks would want the unit to stay on if it was on when you started charging (like a mid-rid coffee shop stop where you plugged in for a while). But for the more common case of the unit being off and at home when plugged in, you want it to stay off after charging.

So the 'right answer' is probably to go to the state it was in when charging was initiated.

dave
Old 08-16-20, 07:38 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
My 1030 and my 830 do this occasionally. If that was the only Garmin bug that I ever experienced since the 305 came out. I'd be delirious with joy.

Between my wife and I, I've owned four 305s, two 810s, two 830s, and two 1030s. All have had issues at various times that necessitated a call to Garmin, but then again, my wife and i use them at least 10,000 miles per year between us.

Three of the 305s and one of the 1030s were warranty (refurb) units.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-16-20 at 07:42 AM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-16-20, 07:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My 1030 and my 830 do this occasionally. If that was the only Garmin bug that i ever experienced since the 305 came out. I'd be delirious with joy.
My 305 would turn itself off if I hit a big bump, and eventually restart on it's own. The mileage would keep recording while it was restarting, but the timer would pause until I manually started it. I had a few KOMs that showed me traveling at mach2
Old 08-16-20, 10:11 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My 1030 and my 830 do this occasionally. If that was the only Garmin bug that I ever experienced since the 305 came out. I'd be delirious with joy.

Between my wife and I, I've owned four 305s, two 810s, two 830s, and two 1030s. All have had issues at various times that necessitated a call to Garmin, but then again, my wife and i use them at least 10,000 miles per year between us.

Three of the 305s and one of the 1030s were warranty (refurb) units.
You shall now be known from this moment on as "Garmin Mogul".
Old 08-17-20, 10:10 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I don't mind subscriptions - I used to dislike them, but now I see them as a form of budgeting/cost control.

Also, I wasn't advocating for that payment model, simply acknowledging that it is the model that vendors impose. If it were up to me, all of that ought to be free once you purchase the hardware, and subsidized by our government (under the premise that spending a tiny bit on citizen health is a better investment than yet another mid-range missile).
Old 08-17-20, 10:14 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
You shall now be known from this moment on as "Garmin Mogul".
Then my wife and I are Garmin Supermoguls.
Old 08-17-20, 11:55 AM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Edge 520 randomly turns off after unplugging it with the 10 second warning. It does it maybe once every 30 times I unplug it from the computer. The settings are correct on the unit. So people saying RTFM need to get out of town.

Edge 520 has many other bugs they refuse to fix for years. Like the Strava segment updating, well, not updating problem. You have to un-star all your Strava segments, sync it, then re-star your favorite segements in Strava, then connect and Resync, and pray it actually updates the times/segments you have.

I've broken several KOMs, and yet the stupid computer thinks it is still the old time until I perform the above. Not bragging about a KOM...the point being, you go out the next rides and want to know your new goal to try and beat yourself...yet, it shows the old time still?!?! I know I beat it by 10-20 seconds or whatever, then your pacing and all screwed up trying to chase a KOM that really isn't the correct time etc.

Guess they want me to buy whatever the latest/greatest is that fixes this issue? Nah...whatever, just have to remember to turn it off after unplugging and it turns on, then turn it off manually. Otherwise, I've sat/waited 30min delaying my ride to get it up to 50% or so and then can get my 2hrs in before it dies.

Anyway....yeah, Garmin has issues keeping their systems from being hacked and encrypted...clearly they can't write code either for their devices, more worried about the bottom line and saving a few bucks for profits and stock option holders.

Not sure if Wahoo or any other computer is better that integrates with Strava and can do live segments etc. So, the Edge 520 is still a pretty good computer for the $300, hasn't died yet, still holds a good charge and besides some quirks..does what I need it to do.

Last edited by zigmeister; 08-17-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 12:29 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Garmin could be utilizing what cell phone manufacturers do.......fail to create new FW updates and when they do I am a conspiracy theorist but they do some mumbo jumbo black magic software things to make your battery life deplete more and more abnormally to force you into buying a new phone to generate revenue!

LOL.......I am a conspiracy guy for sure! Heck, I work for the government and seen some shady things that solidify my reasoning!
Old 08-17-20, 12:47 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
OK, I will be that guy.

You are holding up riding your bike for some electronic device to charge?
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 08-17-20, 01:00 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
I've owned this thing for 4 years now so I should know better but this is the second time in that period that I've forgotten ...
Whoah! Twice in 4 years you forgot something that caused a minor inconvenience? Those bastards! To hell with them all!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 08-17-20, 01:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
For more than two decades I've found the marketplace around cycling data to be under-realized. Given the landscape changes (tech advances, ubiquitous connectivity, acceptance of renewable revenue models) you'd think someone would "pull and Apple" and make an attempt at a well funded market consolidation by designing a great piece of hardware and back-ending it to a reliable and well designed app/site platform.

I'd be very eager to shell out for that.
Either companies don't like money, or this kind of product is harder than it sounds.

Using Apple for an example, they probably don't want to put the R&D into making a new (for them) kind of hardware and a cloud ecosystem for it, for a tiny group of demanding customers. How long do the batteries on their phones and watches last with the screen on all the time, and how long does a battery have to last in this market? It has to just always work no matter what phone and sensors you're using, be light weight, rain and shock proof, not an aerodynamic monstrosity, have Bluetooth connectivity and turn by turn navigation... There has to be a server farm, a web app, tested against all major browsers, a mobile app for both platforms, lots of integration with things like Strava, with mapping platforms to compete at the high level... Plus ongoing customer support. If this was low hanging fruit, Samsung or Apple would have eaten it by now.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-17-20, 01:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I have an older 520 that has been relegated to indoor trainer use only. But I would guess that four times or so I have encountered a dead 520 for the reason stated by the OP. If there is a reason for 'doing this on purpose' I have never heard it. I agree with the OP - it is really irritating. If someone were to ever publish what 'no activity' means (the thing that initiates an auto sleep) I might reconsider, but for now I don't use Auto Sleep because I don't understand it and simply do not want to do a bunch of experiments to figure it out.

dave
I think it does that for people who charge their Garmin or top it off before a ride. The thinking being that when you pull it off the charger it's because you're ready to go. Sounds like whoever made that decision assumed that people who don't want this behavior will change whatever setting it is that makes it not an issue. They could do a better job of explaining what the settings mean.

This kind of thing just isn't a problem with a watch.
Old 08-17-20, 01:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I just want to get rid of my Virtual Partner when I'm using course navigation.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-17-20, 02:07 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I've left my 530 on a number of times after a ride to give it time to sync, then forget it and it runs down. I notice when I go put it on a charger to top it off and realize it's at 0%. No big deal. I don't keep it on a computer, but have a 6-port USB charger I hook it up to along with the Varia and everything else that needs charging. I'm much more annoyed by the removal of bike profiles, just the other day I rode off and the computer had connected to the Di2 on a different bike. Had to stop, tell it to disconnect, and connect the correct one. This is made doubly annoying by not being able to name sensors, and I can't remember a dozen IDs. I have the Di2 battery % on a status and summary screen, which means when I check the battery level before leaving I might be checking the wrong unit. Sometimes it prompts me to calibrate the PM and I can't tell which one - and so I set the drive side to 6 o'clock and it then updates the calibration of the other crank which points any which way. Garmin clearly doesn't have a handle on any of this, apart from their software backend services being flaky AF.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-17-20, 04:52 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think it does that for people who charge their Garmin or top it off before a ride. The thinking being that when you pull it off the charger it's because you're ready to go. Sounds like whoever made that decision assumed that people who don't want this behavior will change whatever setting it is that makes it not an issue. They could do a better job of explaining what the settings mean.

This kind of thing just isn't a problem with a watch.
I don't think there is a setting that truly avoids this behavior. Auto sleep can make that behavior a non-issue for some. In my case this device is now only used as my trainer computer. In good weather this thing can sit there unused for a month or more. So for me I don't know if auto-sleep really fixes the issue or not.

dave
Old 08-18-20, 10:53 PM
Danhedonia

Seattle Forrest I think Samsung and Apple are taking swings, just with differing levels of competency. And the idea would be to replace Strava, not onboard it.

I dislike Garmin because, well, I'm spoiled, and I want more apps in the ecosystem. For a $500 smart watch I should be able to control Spotify while I ride. Naturally, YMMV.

Somewhere in the next few years, there's going to be a muuuuuuch better product that will come available to us. I'm certain of it.
Old 08-19-20, 04:04 AM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Had this issue MANY times on our 520s. The 1030s dont seem to have it.

And yes, being able to tun off the virtual partner should be an easy fix?
Old 08-19-20, 07:46 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Either companies don't like money, or this kind of product is harder than it sounds.

Using Apple for an example, they probably don't want to put the R&D into making a new (for them) kind of hardware and a cloud ecosystem for it, for a tiny group of demanding customers. How long do the batteries on their phones and watches last with the screen on all the time, and how long does a battery have to last in this market? It has to just always work no matter what phone and sensors you're using, be light weight, rain and shock proof, not an aerodynamic monstrosity, have Bluetooth connectivity and turn by turn navigation... There has to be a server farm, a web app, tested against all major browsers, a mobile app for both platforms, lots of integration with things like Strava, with mapping platforms to compete at the high level... Plus ongoing customer support. If this was low hanging fruit, Samsung or Apple would have eaten it by now.

This. Apple is in the business of mass market. They spend a TON on R&D to over engineer everything to be slick, smooth, easy to use. I can't imagine they'd do that for a small segment such as cyclists that are tracking their stats. I'm pretty happy with Garmin overall. I think maybe they need to consolidate their lineup a bit as it's a little crazy when I go to their website and click "running" and there's 17 watches! Their Connect App is much better than what it was, their Connect web site is much better than what it was. Their social aspect is a little weak but that's okay as it connects directly to Strava which is a bit of a catch all for cyclists using all different devices and ecosystems. My 530 has been great. Navigating the menus is a little cumbersome and took some getting used to with hard buttons but once i got over that hump, it's actually a great piece of hardware.
Likes For Cowboy905:
Old 08-22-20, 10:29 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowboy905
I'm pretty happy with Garmin overall. I think maybe they need to consolidate their lineup a bit as it's a little crazy when I go to their website and click "running" and there's 17 watches!
I was just saying this to Mrs. NoWhammies the other day. Garmin needs to consolidate their lineup. They have, IMHO, way too many watches. It's a bit nutty. Maybe post hack, they will look to streamline their services a bit.

I'm in the same boat as you with Garmin. I am happy with their products. I started out using Garmin when the Forerunner 405 came out and have stuck with them ever since. Between bike computers, watches, and lights, I am fully in the Garmin ecosystem. When they were off line for four days I didn't know what to do with myself.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-23-20, 12:58 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
On my Garmin Edge 500 I log my miles, turn it off, charge, pull the cord when done and it's still off.
Old 08-23-20, 05:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've had a Garmin Edge 200 for about 5 yrs. Basic but does what I need it to do. I found Amazon selling re-imported Edge 200's for $130 that came with the Tri-bar mount. So, I bought one since the Edge 200 is now obsolete. Never have had any of the issues in the OP.
Old 08-23-20, 09:16 AM
Danhedonia

Fitness IS a mass market.
Old 08-23-20, 09:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Danhedonia

Fitness is a mass market, and that encompasses way more than cycling. People riding bikes who care enough about their stats and segment times to spend $400 on a single purpose device is a small niche market. Apple isn't going to make a bike computer just because a lot of people run and lift weights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.