Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984??? Schwinn Super Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 01:52 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts

Just picked this one owner Schwinn Super Le Tour up today off FB from the original owner for $50. She said she thinks she bought it new in 1982 but from what I知 seeing online I知 thinking it is a 1984 model year? Anyone have some insight? I put the serial number in a Schwinn serial number database online but it came up with no results. When I look at the specs for the 1984 catalog it looks like it is a 1984 as the components match up

Likes For tpadul:
Old 11-17-20, 02:04 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
It's a 1984

You can tell by the Head badge 0174

January 17, 1984

17th day of the year

GREAT SCORE !!!!!

Congrats !!!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-17-20, 02:08 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Originally Posted by bikemike73
It's a 1984

You can tell by the Head badge 0174

January 17, 1984

17th day of the year

GREAT SCORE !!!!!

Congrats !!!!
Awesome !!! Thanks! I still get confused by reading the numbers on the Schwinn head badge Thank you so much!! The frame is in amazing condition!! Just have to clean it up a bit, it was sitting in their wood working business and it's coated with lots of wood dust.
Old 11-17-20, 02:18 PM
bikemike73 

I would use a leaf blower...to blow the sawdust off or a hose on a nice warm sunshiny day so it could dry in the sun

When you take the rack off when cleaning up and are going to put back on, I would put black electrical tape as not to scratch the paint , or piece of old bicycle tubing.

That is what I use. I have used it for years. I like the extra cushion and protection.

The SLT is a nice bike. Great riding and smooth !!!!!
Take your time and don't hesitate to ask questions.

This forum is the best !!!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-17-20, 02:39 PM
Z3027R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nice!
Likes For Z3027R:
Old 11-17-20, 05:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Nice find. It also came with some period correct goodies. Rhode Gear Flickstand, Blackburn rack, Cannondale Velcro water bottle holder, of course, toe clips and leather straps It looks like it still has the original tires on it.

These US made Schwinns are excellent values. This is a double butted main frame and these bikes ride well. I think some people don't realize how good they are. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone and keep it our secret. The paint on the Mississippi made Schwinn's is not that durable. Especially compared to Chicago Schwinn's. Yours looks excellent though. The decals have cracked from age. Not much you can do about that. Clean it up and ride it. A lot.

Perhaps you can post a picture when it is cleaned up. Or not so clean, but out on the road or trail.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-17-20, 05:52 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Suntour ARx

Suntour ARx.....my favorite vintage derailleur set!!!

Awesome!!
Likes For jjames1452:
Old 11-18-20, 08:42 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice find. It also came with some period correct goodies. Rhode Gear Flickstand, Blackburn rack, Cannondale Velcro water bottle holder, of course, toe clips and leather straps It looks like it still has the original tires on it.

These US made Schwinns are excellent values. This is a double butted main frame and these bikes ride well. I think some people don't realize how good they are. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone and keep it our secret. The paint on the Mississippi made Schwinn's is not that durable. Especially compared to Chicago Schwinn's. Yours looks excellent though. The decals have cracked from age. Not much you can do about that. Clean it up and ride it. A lot.

Perhaps you can post a picture when it is cleaned up. Or not so clean, but out on the road or trail.
So how can I go about preserving what痴 left of the decals without more of the decals flaking off? I have noticed that while the paint on the frame is in great shape the paint job is very dull and I would like to give the frame a wax but I知 afraid more detailing of the frame and waxing it will virtually flake off what痴 left of the decals?

Was this Super Le Tour built in their Mississippi plant?

oh and the tubes still hold air!!! So I値l just need to get new tires and new bar tape and I have another Selle Royal seat to swap out.

Last edited by tpadul; 11-18-20 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-18-20, 09:22 AM
bikemike73 

I would wax with a paste on a spot where the decal placement is not as noticeable.

Put it on lightly....wait about 15 seconds....then rub with a cotton cloth gently.

You MUST be careful around ALL decals no matter what bike or year you have.

That " dull" Orange will be " gleaming" soon !!!

Good Luck and be patient
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-18-20, 09:36 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
Another option is to replace the decals after cleaning up the frame. I was able to buy decals on eBay for my 83 Le Tour. I think the 84 Super Le Tour decals would be more difficult though.
My 83,

Likes For daverup:
Old 11-18-20, 09:57 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by daverup
Another option is to replace the decals after cleaning up the frame. I was able to buy decals on eBay for my 83 Le Tour. I think the 84 Super Le Tour decals would be more difficult though.
My 83,

Yes I might think about just buying replacement ones, I did that last month with the World Sport I rebuilt and I got them from Velocals and they look amazing, so If I can clean up this frame and the decals are able to come off easily without damaging the paint then I just might do that and look for new decals. I'm not too OCD.. but for some reason the flaky decals on any bike seems to bug me
Old 11-18-20, 09:58 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by bikemike73
I would wax with a paste on a spot where the decal placement is not as noticeable.

Put it on lightly....wait about 15 seconds....then rub with a cotton cloth gently.

You MUST be careful around ALL decals no matter what bike or year you have.

That " dull" Orange will be " gleaming" soon !!!

Good Luck and be patient
So probably like a Turtle Wax paste then?? And the frame is actually a Scarlet Red, but it kinda looks like a dull orange in these photos,
Old 11-18-20, 10:22 AM
bikemike73 

Haaa

I myself use turtle wax, though many scoff at it.

They make a very good wax and have used it for years with great results.
I use old t shirts for best results!!!
Make sure not to wax in direct sunlight.

Good luck and post when clean!!!

Continue to ask questions

Forum is the best !!!
Likes For bikemike73: