Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My return from Fred-dom

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My return from Fred-dom

Old 06-09-21, 10:54 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
My return from Fred-dom

Anyone that has ridden with me knows that I haven't worn proper kit or used toeclips/SPDs since I quit road racing in the late 80s. I'm most likely seen riding in regular old cargo-type shorts, t-shirt, and some kind of funky non-biking type shoes (or even Keen sandals!).

I've been thinking a lot lately about changing that, and so yesterday I broke down and ordered proper bike shorts and a jersey from J&G Cyclewear (made in Oregon!).

Why now? Entirely practical reasons, I suppose. I felt like I wanted a clean separation between my biking clothes and my street clothes, jersey pockets are very handy, and it's just more comfortable on long rides.

I'm still on the fence, however, about shoes/toeclips/SPDs. Maybe I'll find some vintage shoes like my old Vittoria's, remove the cleats, and attach the clips/straps that I have in the parts bin. We'll see.
Old 06-09-21, 11:16 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Sandy McFiddish: Then do it, man!

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-09-21, 11:19 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Most everyday clothes are just fine for everyday riding.

When you're doing specialized riding (e.g., training, racing, for sport), clothes designed to keep one comfortable and minimally chafed are advisable too.

Now if someone suggests that one absolutely needs cycling shorts and a team jersey to ride an IGH city bike to the store and back...well, I can tell you the Freddiot isn't the person who is content using everyday clothes for this task.

-Kurt

P.S.: The safety nannies have yet to come up with any scientific evidence that sandals are a problem while riding. Wear them with pride, knowing that you're pissing off someone in their SUV who thinks that your sandals - not their two-ton battering ram - is somehow the biggest threat to human life in the vicinity. Irony can be sweet and on your feet.

Last edited by cudak888; 12-17-21 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 11:23 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Get SPD cleat sandals to perfectly thread the line between Fred-dom and Velo-dom.
Old 06-09-21, 11:27 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

"SPD and Ergo?"
"No, IGH and DynoLuxe."

-Kurt

Old 06-09-21, 11:38 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
Fredless And Fashion Free

Rock socks with your sandals!

Last edited by machinist42; 06-09-21 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 06-09-21, 12:01 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Most everyday clothes are just fine for everyday riding.... The safety nannies have yet to come up with any scientific evidence that sandals are a problem while riding...
Keen offers cycling sandals with closed toes. Shimano sells sandals with open toes. I own a pair of Keens, and am glad for the closed toe cap. But I'm the type of person who is likely to jam or break a toe on some unseen object.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-09-21, 12:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
To each his own, I say ...

But personally I draw the line at sandals. Firmly. A sartorial faux pas of extraordinary magnitude. On the beach, when no one is watching? Maybe. But in the out and open? No sir.

My favorite cycling shoes for riding in town: hand-made Italian eel skin. And no, they have no SPD cleats.

On a more serious note: I like wool jerseys and shorts. Good-looking, comfortable, and the back pockets are very useful indeed. However, I find I don't really need them, at least not for the kind of rides I do: mostly leisurely rides up to 100k. And when touring, there are advantages to wearing "normal" clothing. Like when you ride into a town, and want to have lunch in a decent restaurant.

WRT shoes, I find these a good compromise. Classic cycle touring shoes. They are made for clips and straps, to be used without cleats, and - sort of - work well with both formal cycling apparel (wool), and a more casual outfit:

I have them in brown and black, of course.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-09-21, 12:26 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by machinist42
Rock socks with your sandals!

Aaaahhh, my eyes!

Socks and sandals are actually a thing in Oregon. But no... just... no.

Last edited by johnnyace; 06-09-21 at 12:34 PM.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-09-21, 12:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
...Keen sandals!
Ohhh Noooo!!!!

In Oregon maybe... Ha

What ever ya want is the best way to go. Transitioning from Bicycle Racing to just ridding can be more than tedious. There is a difference between a ridding bicycle and racing bicycle and it goes the same way with a kit, I guess. I did see once a guy with a full pro competition kit and a track helmet ridding a poser Walmart bicycle with fenders. It was odd. But hey man... He was ridding!!!

Last edited by zandoval; 06-09-21 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 06-09-21, 12:33 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by non-fixie
To each his own, I say ...

But personally I draw the line at sandals. Firmly. A sartorial faux pas of extraordinary magnitude. On the beach, when no one is watching? Maybe. But in the out and open? No sir.

My favorite cycling shoes for riding in town: hand-made Italian eel skin. And no, they have no SPD cleats.

On a more serious note: I like wool jerseys and shorts. Good-looking, comfortable, and the back pockets are very useful indeed. However, I find I don't really need them, at least not for the kind of rides I do: mostly leisurely rides up to 100k. And when touring, there are advantages to wearing "normal" clothing. Like when you ride into a town, and want to have lunch in a decent restaurant.

WRT shoes, I find these a good compromise. Classic cycle touring shoes. They are made for clips and straps, to be used without cleats, and - sort of - work well with both formal cycling apparel (wool), and a more casual outfit:

I have them in brown and black, of course.
Those are both seriously stylish shoes. Yeah, sandals. I find that I can't really wear them any more. My feet get sweaty and gooey in no time flat, and it's just not a comfortable feeling. I most certainly won't be wearing socks with them.

What brand are those classic cycling shoes? I may go that route.
Old 06-09-21, 12:38 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I like walkable cleats/shoes now, gone to SPD from the SPD-SL I was wearing. And I do have a set of SPD sandals. I was never of big fan of straps, even back when that was our only choice. They're fine for longer rides, but they just annoy me riding in neighborhoods.

Considering those large flat pedals (or something similar) that Larry from Mt Airy Cycles endorses. I don't recall the manufacturer off the top of my head. EDIT: Catalyst.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 06-09-21 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 12:45 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Keen offers cycling sandals with closed toes. Shimano sells sandals with open toes. I own a pair of Keens, and am glad for the closed toe cap. But I'm the type of person who is likely to jam or break a toe on some unseen object.
I have a two toes all bent to hell from a sandal involved childhood accident while riding a bike.
Old 06-09-21, 01:11 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
I wanna see a movie of these shoes in action, when maneuvering requires turning the front wheel 10 degrees or so.

I really like the Holdsworth shoes, though they'd never work with my double-Ees feet. As I've posted before, I'm a satisfied Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 customer, many times over.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 06-09-21 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 06-09-21, 01:13 PM
tendency 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts
My bro bikes 30+ miles barefoot - so there's that option as well.
Old 06-09-21, 01:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Casual, downtown on one of the classic racers, I’m wearing whatever. But, on the road with the Criterium Series I’ll wear jersey, helmet, gloves, glasses. I’m clips/straps the whole way.
Old 06-09-21, 01:44 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
"SPD and Ergo?"
"No, IGH and DynoLuxe."
-Kurt
Why did I read that in a British accent? Just me?
Old 06-09-21, 02:29 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
I had been riding in sandals and ordinary khaki shorts for years. Rivendell influence, I guess.

I tried to go for biggest improvements first, so I started with the shoes, then the shorts, then the clipless pedals, and then the jersey. Each made a notable improvement. And each improvement was subtler than the last. In the end, I think the jersey makes the least difference and may even be worse than a nice linen shirt on a hot day going 15mph or slower.

I still commute in sandals and socks and ordinary clothes, but right now it's only 2 miles. I'd probably start with shoes, and work my way up the list, if my commute became any longer.
Old 06-09-21, 02:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by BFisher
Why did I read that in a British accent? Just me?
The question is...which British accent?

-Kurt

Old 06-09-21, 02:57 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
The question is...which British accent?

-Kurt
The cool one.
Old 06-09-21, 03:21 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Those are both seriously stylish shoes. Yeah, sandals. I find that I can't really wear them any more. My feet get sweaty and gooey in no time flat, and it's just not a comfortable feeling. I most certainly won't be wearing socks with them.

What brand are those classic cycling shoes? I may go that route.
Thanks! Glad to hear about the socks.

The cycling shoes are the Holdsworth Rough Stuff classic touring shoes. Planet X sells them (or rather sold, as they're currently out of stock), at wildly varying prices. IIRC I got them on sale for about €70, and at that price I wanted to try them. And I like them.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-09-21, 03:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
The cool one.
Is that the one that doesn't require subtitles?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-09-21, 03:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I've been getting away from wearing jerseys. Nothing against jerseys but there are a lot of great technical t shirts out there. I like clipless but I've been moving to bmx pedals since I can run any shoe I like with them. But I'm keeping my lycra shorts.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-09-21, 03:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I wanna see a movie of these shoes in action, when maneuvering requires turning the front wheel 10 degrees or so.

To be honest, it isn't an issue. I guess they're smaller than they look. I only get toe overlap on my really short wheelbase bikes with fenders and toe clips. And only when not paying attention. Which doesn't happen very often, fortunately, as I prefer classic Bluemels, and I have had a front fender explode on me that way last year:

Old 06-09-21, 03:42 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
The cool one.
Envisioning Alan Ford's voice right now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.